I was just talking to Lorraine about the tomato cages I put together with PVC. I don't glue the joints so when a branch of the plant grows outside the cage I can just pull the joint apart and stick the branch inside. That way, no broken branches. At the end of the season, pull them apart and store for next year.

[Image: Pork-3.jpg]

[Image: Pork-2.jpg]

[Image: Tomatoes07_08-1.jpg]

Of course if you are smart, you'll make them all the same; but, not me, oh no, each set is different
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Tomato Pictures for Lorraine bjcotton I was just talking t...
great idea....I know what you're going to do up here...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Tomato Pictures for Lorraine cjs great idea....I know...
" great idea....I know what you're going to do up here. "

After you're finished with him, send him here!! Great idea, Billy!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Billy, that is such a cool idea for the home gardener! I will pass this on to Mom!

My little tomatoes here at the house are doing quite well with sticks and string. The ones that would need these are at the farm...and with there being twenty or more...you get the picture. Maybe if we made a few every year to replace the metal round cages.

Heck, not all of them got cages at all this year....some of the poor things have limbs just lying on the ground. But they're still making tomatoes. I just have to be careful lifting them when searching for tomatoes. As a matter of fact, I need to go 'a pickin' again tomorrow morning.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Tomato Pictures for Lorraine Gourmet_Mom Billy, that is such ...
Ha Ha! You just got yourself a job! I bet the PVC will be sitting there waiting for you...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
What a great idea, Billy! Thanks for the photos. WE HAVE TO DO THIS!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Tomato Pictures for Lorraine Mare749 What a great idea, B...
I only used 2 types of connectors to build these, 4 elbows (90° angles) and 4 + type connectors (each has 4 arms) so you can build the next level. I sent Sharon a hand drawing, maybe I'll try to do one in MS Word or something and post it.

Billy

Re: Tomato Pictures for Lorraine bjcotton I only used 2 types ...
When the drawing gets here I'll scan it in and can post it.

Bob's looking forward to your drawing and likes the pictures.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Brilliant!! It's PVC pipe for me next year.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".

Re: Tomato Pictures for Lorraine Old Bay Brilliant!! It's PV...
It's time to get more PVC, those tomatoes are headed over the airconditioner again. They start producing ripe tomatoes on the bottom and continue on up as the year progresses. The shorter cages are for the purple tomatoes. They have blossom rot this year. The local university extension service says the soil is short of lime. Doesn't seem to affect the cherry tomatoes.

Billy
Tomato Pictures for Lorraine