I was thinking about adding to my ever expanding collection of C@H books and wanted some input. Do any of you have either the Holiday Meals or the Holiday Cookies? Which one is better? I know they are probably very different animals and will have both at some point but wondered which is better to get first.

TIA for an input.

Emmasmum

Which is better? Emmasmum I was thinking about...
I don't have either one, but I'll be watching. For what it's worth, I would personally go for the Meals instead of the Cookies because I prefer savory to sweet. But I've got several others to buy before I go there...LOL! Maybe I'll get one or both far enough in advance of the holiday season, though.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Which is better? Gourmet_Mom I don't have either ...
I'm embarrassed to even post this, but I have both - I hate baking/pastry and I haven't even opened the cookie one. Oh horsepuckie, I just looked and I haven't even looked at the holiday one either....

No help from this corner...I'm anxious to hear also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Which is better? cjs I'm embarrassed to e...
I just cant decide because I am also a savory over sweet but I do lots of baking as gifts. Plus I thought of getting a few extra copies to the special book because I RAVE about the Cuisine magazine all the time. I think they are so good that even my friends who cant boil water could cook well from them.

Re: Which is better? Emmasmum I just cant decide b...
" I'm embarrassed to even post this, but I have both - I hate baking/pastry and I haven't even opened the cookie one. Oh horsepuckie, I just looked and I haven't even looked at the holiday one either.... "

Almost ditto. I looked through the Cookie one, but nothing jumped out and bit me.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Which is better? Lorraine " I'm embarrassed to...
I have both books and have used the cookie book several times, but none from the savory holiday book. I bake cookies at the holidays and have found a couple from this book that we enjoyed ... the Black Forest Cookies, the Key Lime Bars, Toffee bars (no bake)... and a couple others I can't think of right now.
  Re: Which is better? Lorraine " I'm embarrassed to...
Having not looked at either, I may be off the mark here, but for a gift, I'd pick another. That is unless someone comes in to promote the Holiday Meals. There are so many of the special issues that have BUNCHES of really good recipes, I'd gift one of those.

I've got several friends that are always commenting on my meals, but haven't jumped on board. This would make the perfect gift. I think I'll do a basket-like gift with a special issue and the ingredients for one or more of the recipes. Another idea might be creative printouts of our better reviews, to give them an idea of the better recipes to start off with. Now to decide which one....LOL! Probably Cuisine at Home for Two, since most are couples or singles and this is one of my favorites. Thanks for the idea!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Which is better? Emmasmum I just cant decide b...
I have both books also. Haven't made anything (I think) from the Meals book, but have made several from the Cookie book. A couple of them have become standards, they are that good. Guess it just depends on what you like. I have so many meals I still need to try from the other books and the magazine, but a more limited choice in desserts so that would be my pick.
Shannon

Re: Which is better? Dismc I have both books al...
" Guess it just depends on what you like. "

Yup. Interesting to see both sides of the fence. I'll probably use it once I move, as he is a confirmed cookie eater. I just really dislike baking. Sure hope there are some healthy ones in there.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Which is better? Lorraine " Guess it just dep...
I had them both, but since I have several cookie cookbooks and wasn't truly impressed with their cookies I gave it away. I'm not home at this time, so can't give you a "real" opinion of the meals book since I don't have a good memory of it.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Which is better?