Oh my, this is delicious!! Dave Nelson posted this on another forum and I made it Thurs & Fri. Can't wait to make a Canadian Bacon pizza!!

Canadian Bacon - Dave Nelson

Day One...
You'll need to gather your curing ingredientMorton's Tender Quick, Brown Sugar and some Montreal Steak Seasoning.

You'll need 1 tablespoon Morton’s Tender Quick, 1 teaspoon brown sugar and a Teaspoon or so of Montreal Steak Seasoning for each 1 pound bacon. Once measured, blend together.

Cut your boneless pork loin into four one pound pieces and get your Jaccard Meat Tenderizer ready. Jaccard the loins in three stabs per side...this allows the cure to penetrate quickly and thoroughly. You'll need to rub each piece with the spice blend thoroughly.

I like to tie the pieces to keep a nice round shape during the smoking process.
Cure under refrigeration each piece for 24 hours in separate zip style bags.

Day Two
After 24 hours...remove the pieces from the fridge and rinse very thoroughly....Let them sit to dry for 1/2 hour or so. There will be some specks of pepper from the seasoning.

Once they have dried a bit, put them into a prepared smoker and close the lid tight.

Mine took four hours to reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
Allow to cool to room temperature before storing or freezing.

Enjoy your Canadian bacon in sandwiches or with a fried egg breakfast. Also makes a great hash. Make your own Canadian bacon for a real treat.

-----

Since I always cook my pork to ~145 F., next time I'll smoke just to that temp. I think the 160 F. dried it out a litte, but it is delicious.

Some of you may have trouble getting the ingredients - I did, I had to wait until I was in a 'big town' - but also check out farm/ranch supply places for curing salts and such. That's where I used to get them.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Canadian Bacon - Home Smoked cjs Oh my, this is delic...
Thanks for posting this, Jean. I'd love to make it!

Jason bought me a smoker for my birthday. If I wasn't a pastry chef I'd get rid of my oven altogether and smoke EVERYTHING!!!

Wonder where I'd find the Morton's Tender Quick??? One of the sad realities of living in tourist heaven is you can't get anything here!!!!!

Re: Canadian Bacon - Home Smoked Chefelle Thanks for posting t...
Canadian bacon is great!!!! Lightly fried and piled onto a soft bun makes a great breakfast. I've never made it (may have to when I move to VA), but I always have some in the freezer for Egg McMorrison's (think egg McMuffins)

Glad it turned out for you, Jean. Chefelle, pm me if you need the salt, I think that's what the 10 bags in my cold room are. We bought it online from a company in Calgary, but we've seen it a few times in stores here.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Canadian Bacon - Home Smoked Lorraine Canadian bacon is gr...
This sounds so good, I we will be doing this very soon. As for the curing salt, I think Ron found it at Wally World with the canning supplies.

I just looked at mortonsalt.com and did a product search. This is what came up:

Super Kmart Center
Giant Eagle Market
Meijer Supermarket
Kroger Sav On Store

Just enter the product you are looking for and your zip code.

Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Canadian Bacon - Home Smoked Mare749 This sounds so good,...
I just looked - there's nowhere within 50 miles of us. Sucks.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Canadian Bacon - Home Smoked Harborwitch I just looked - ther...
Sharon, that doesn't mean that you won't find it at one of your chain grocery stores, or big box department stores. Or just call your local grocery store and ask the manager to order it in for you.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Canadian Bacon - Home Smoked Mare749 Sharon, that doesn't...
Sharon, think Podestos!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Canadian Bacon - Home Smoked cjs Oh my, this is delic...
Printed before I even left for Curves! I have some 2 lb hunks in the freezer - guess I could cut them in half and use them. Sounds like a fun project for next weekend. Thank you for posting this - that beautiful frontloading smoker we saw might be what I tell him I want for my birthday!!!! HeeeeHeeee!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Canadian Bacon - Home Smoked Harborwitch Printed before I eve...
Now you're sounding like me Sharon, what are you going to do with the 2 smokers you already have?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Re: Canadian Bacon - Home Smoked bjcotton Now you're sounding ...
Thanks for sharing this one. As the new trailer smoker is going on a larger trailer than originally planned we are going for THREE double barrel smokers and a "serving" area we'll have to play with this one too!

Thanks for sharing and thank goodness for Chef Dave Nelson and his recipes and his willingness to share elsewhere on the "world wide web."
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
Canadian Bacon - Home Smoked