Have any of you any experience with terrines? I just copied a recipe from Food & Drink for a Wild Leek Terrine I thought sounded interesting. I didn't realize until near the end of the recipe it was served cold. Sounds good anyway if anyone's interested.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Terrines bjcotton Have any of you any ...
Gosh, Billy, I had totally forgotten about terrines! I went through a phase where I made them for dinner parties because you can do it ahead and unmold. The ones I have made were all vegetable. They can be so pretty. Please share your recipe! Mine came from Gourmet back in the 80's and I have long since thrown them out. I know...beatings with wet noodles.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!

Re: Terrines chef_Tab Gosh, Billy, I had t...
I've never owned one but I love the beautiful terrines that I've seen in old books. I think I saw many of them when the English ladies had their show on. The ladies that rode around in the scooter with the sidecar. I can't remember their names. I enjoyed that show so much. I hate to say it but was it named 'the fat ladies' or something such?

One in particular stands out in my mind. It was a beautiful piece of art. The terrine bottom was oval and the lid was a rabbit with the ears laying back. Seems like I've seen a gorgeous one that had antlers on it, too.

I tried to find pictures, but I couldn't. I wish I had room to collect those, also.

Edit: the ones I'm thinking about are ceramic and you served directly from the terrine. I have no idea what was served but they are so special.

Edit #2: Are the ceramic ones always lined with a pastry? Now that I've looked them up, I see terrines that come apart like cheesecake pans.
Cory

I am not the model.
  Terrines bjcotton Have any of you any ...
I love terrines, but have only made one (duck / pork???), many years ago. I rarely see them on menus, but to me, a well made tyerrine is a thing of beauty. Gil and I have both discussed how we would like to start making some. He has soem great books, all we need is the time.

" it was served cold "

Yup. I think its the ballotines that are served hot.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Terrines Lorraine I love terrines, but...
did them in scool and a few caterings - I love them.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Terrines cjs did them in scool an...
Billy, which issue was it in?
Jean, do still make them?
Corinne, that was "Two Fat Ladies"
Theresa, I don't have any molds. I used an old loaf pan and lined it with plastic wrap. There sure are some beautiful ones out there!

Re: Terrines Lorraine Billy, which issue w...
Yes, Lorraine, it was the Two Fat Ladies. I LOVED that show.

I have made meat loaves (is that the type of food usually served in a terrine?) in loaf pans but I'm not wild about them. I still think of a terrine as being lined with a pie type pastry but I have no idea why. I must have been an English kitchen maid in a past life.

Now give me a seafood terrine, loaf, or mousse and I'll follow you around forever. Lol, not that you want me to but I am rather OCD when it comes to cleaning the kitchen.
Cory

I am not the model.

Re: Terrines Corinne Yes, Lorraine, it wa...
I loved that show too, and have one of their books. This is interesting:

pâté
[pah-TAY, pa-TAY]
French for "pie," this word — with accent over the "e" — is generally used to refer to various elegant, well-seasoned ground-meat preparations. A pâté can be satiny-smooth and spreadable or, like country pâté, coarsely textured. It can be made from a finely ground or chunky mixture of meats (such as pork, veal, liver or ham), fish, poultry, game, vegetables, etc. Seasonings and fat are usually also included in the mixture, which can be combined before or after cooking. Pâtés may be cooked in a crust, in which case they're referred to as pâté en croûte. They may also be cooked in a pork fat-lined container called a terrine (or any other similarly sized mold), in which case they're called pâté en terrine. Traditional parlance says that when such a mixture is cooked and served in a terrine, the dish is also called a terrine, and when unmolded it becomes a pâté. Today, however, the two terms are often used interchangeably. Pâtés may be hot or cold and are usually served as a first course or appetizer.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Re: Terrines Lorraine I loved that show to...
Here's the recipe, it's from Food & Drink Early Summer 2007:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Wild Leek Terrine

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Fruit-Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
7 cups lightly packed wild leek leaves (1.75 to 2 L) (7 - 8 cups) -- divided
1 tablespoon butter (15 ml)
1 1/2 cups finely diced celeriac, about 5 oz (375 ml or 150 g)
1/4 cup vegetable broth or water (50 ml)
3 1/2 teaspoons agar powder (17 ml)
1/4 cup water (50 ml)
2/3 cup 35% whipping cream
1 tablespoon soy sauce (15 ml)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt (2 ml) -- divided
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (75 ml)
1/3 cup mascarpone cheese (75 ml)
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (10 ml)
1 teaspoon Maldon or coarse kosher salt (5 ml)

Half-fill a large saucepan with water; bring to a boil. Meanwhile, sort and wash leeks in a large sink full of water. Spin dry in a salad spinner. Set aside numerous large leaves for lining the pans; then coarsely cut crosswise 4 cups (1 L) lightly packed leaves for terrine purée. Shred 1/4 cup (50 ML) leeks for sauce. Set both aside. Blanch reserved large leek leaves in boiling water for 15 to 30 seconds; then drain and refresh by plunging into a bowl of cold tap water.

Remove individual leaves from water; open up onto a tea towel to drain. Generously line 2 mini-loaf pans with plastic wrap. Then, overlapping as needed and leaving about half of leaf overhanging, line pan with blanched leaves. Snip off any long stems. Reserve several leaves for top. All blanched leaves may not be needed.

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté celeriac for 3 minutes, then add broth. Cover and adjust heat so mixture just simmers for 10 minutes or until celeriac is quite tender and liquid is almost gone. Meanwhile, sprinkle agar over water; let soften while celeriac finishes cooking.

When celeriac is soft, add cream and sliced leaves. Cook uncovered over medium heat for 5 minutes or until mixture simmers and leeks are wilted. Stir in agar until well mixed; about a minute. Transfer hot mixture to a blender. Add soy sauce and remaining 1/4 tsp (1 ml) sea salt; whirl to purée, stopping and scraping down sides as needed. Tiny pieces of leek should remain visible.

Pour purée into leek-lined loaf pan. Top with overlapping leaves; cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours to fully set. Terrine keeps well for 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator.

For the sauce, whirl 1/4 cup (50 ml) shredded leeks with olive oil, mascarpone, lemon juice and remaining 1/4 tsp (1 ml) sea salt in blender until puréed. Cover and refrigerate until needed. Sauce becomes quite thick when cold; bring to room temperature to serve.

Use plastic edges to life terrines from pans. Peel off plastic; discard. Using a very sharp knife, slice each loaf crosswise into 8 thick slices. Spread some sauce on each serving plate; decoratively top with 2 slices of terrine and a pinch of Maldon salt. Serve with fresh baguette or pita crisps.

TIP: For a nibble to go with drinks, skip arranging blanched leeks in loaf pans. Instead pour warm purée into plastic-lined pans, cover with overlapping plastic wrap and thoroughly chill. Unmould chilled terrines onto a small serving plate, spread with sauce. Top with pinches of coarse salt; serve with a small knife for spreading on baguette slices or crackers.

Source:
"Early Summer 2007"

Here's a pâté for you that I have made for years, it's always delicious and well received:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mushroom Pate

Recipe By :Bill Cotton
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:45
Categories : Appetizers

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 4 oz onion -- peeled and quartered
1 clove garlic -- peeled
3/4 pound crimini mushrooms -- cleaned & quartered
6 tablespoons butter
3/4 teaspoon ground thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup almonds -- roasted

In a food processor, whirl onion and garlic, pulsing on and off, until very finely chopped. Scrape into a bowl. Add half the mushrooms to processor and pulse until finely chopped (take care not to puree); scrape into bowl with onion mixture. Repeat with remaining mushrooms.

In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add mushroom-onion mixture, thyme, and 1-tsp salt; stir often until liquid has evaporated, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, spread almonds in an 8-inch square pan. Bake in a 350F oven, shaking pan occasionally, until nuts are golden beneath skins, about 10 minutes. Pour into food processor. Whirl until nuts are as finely ground as possible. Stir into warm mushroom mixture.

Pack into a small bowl (at least 2 1/2-cup capacity) or two 1-cup ramekins; cover with plastic wrap. Chill overnight to blend flavors. Bring to room temperature and serve.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Re: Terrines bjcotton Here's the recipe, i...
OOOooo, I looked at some pictures of terrines on Google, they are pretty. Seems like a cool way to serve a group, and Cory, it looks like a definite easy to do ahead to me. I like the ones where the foods are different colored layers. Seafood sounds like a good one too
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life
Terrines