A while back we were all checking out a copycat website (www.razzledazzle.com) and I had copied this, but not made it. Now a LOT of you may have made this before, I never had...especially the presentation. While it's really just a glorified chef salad, the REAL star is the dressing. Not what I expected...when I hear French dressing, I think red stuff...but it was VERY good. I have now permanently replaced bottled Italian dressing FOREVER!

It was so pretty, I had to take a picture. Now before you pooh the presentation thing, I will tell you, it was NOT that big a deal. And to impress guests...this would do it! PLUS there were NO pots and pans to clean! NOW, somebody tell me if I can post this recipe. It's the Brown Derby Salad from the aforementioned (sp?) website.

[Image: BrownDerbySalad-1.jpg]

Oh, those familiar with this salad...basically a Cobb Salad, it's supposed to be served with Blue Cheese, but it was NOT where it was supposed to be...HMMM?...so I improvised with the sharp cheddar...WHEW!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Brown Derby Salad and Dressing Gourmet_Mom A while back we were...
Looks just like a Cobb Salad to me. I used to be a bit hung up about copyrights, but it seems no one else is. I think as long as you give credit to the author, it's all good.

Re: Brown Derby Salad and Dressing HomeCulinarian Looks just like a Co...
Quote:

I used to be a bit hung up about copyrights, but it seems no one else is.

Quote:

Mere listings of ingredients as in recipes, formulas, compounds, or prescriptions are not subject to copyright protection. However, when a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright protection.
Copyright protects only the particular manner of an author’s expression in literary, artistic, or musical form. Copyright protection does not extend to names, titles, short phrases, ideas, systems, or methods.

(Source: U.S. Copyright Office)
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Brown Derby Salad and Dressing labradors [blockquote]Quote:[h...
HC, I feel deprived tonight. I have never seen a Cobb Salad on a menu. I'm not really sure what the difference is between this and what I know of as a chef salad...other than presentation and the addition of avocado.

OK, so I can give the ingredients....here goes...If you need the directions, go to the site. But to be honest, all you need is the ingredients for the dressing...which is marked. BTW, I doubled the chicken and bacon....and I already mentioned the cheese substitution. OH, I couldn't find watercress, so just made do with the other greens. BTW, this was my first experience personally using edive...glad I did! There's more in the fridge.

But like I said, the star was the dressing....I was really surprised. A lot of flavor from so little...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Brown Derby Salad and Dressing

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Salad:
1/2 head iceberg lettuce
1/2 bunch watercress
1 small bunch curly endive
1/2 head romaine lettuce
2 tablespoons minced chives
2 medium tomatoes -- peeled, seeded and diced
1 chicken breast -- cooked, boned, skinned and diced
6 bacon strips -- cooked crisp and diced
1 avocado -- peeled and diced
3 hard-cooked eggs -- peeled and diced
1/2 cup Roquefort cheese -- crumbled
Special French Dressing:
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 clove garlic -- minced
1/4 cup olive oil
3/4 cup vegetable oil

S(Internet Address):
"http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/eatingout/eating_b/brownder.htm"
Daphne

Re: Brown Derby Salad and Dressing Gourmet_Mom HC, I feel deprived ...
sounds really good, Daphne. I used to make Julia Child's Cobb salad, but haven't for years, hmmmmmmmm. This one is copied.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Brown Derby Salad and Dressing cjs sounds really good, ...
This looks great! Thanks for posting. I have it saved. What a beautiful dish to take to a potluck.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!

Re: Brown Derby Salad and Dressing chef_Tab This looks great! Th...
Theresa, it is perfect for a pot luck...This is two in a few days! (The Maque Choux and now this! Although, the Maque Choux needs to be warm, at least.)

Jean, I haven't got Julia's, but I swear, this dressing is a staple in my fridge! Everyone flipped over my lunch today. I ALMOST offered to share...but then I came to my senses!

I have GOT to get some squirt bottles. I now have two dressings that MUST live in my fridge at all times...this and your Honey Mustard! The Honey Mustard is residing in a bowl right now. The jar thang just didn't work out. It think some squirt bottles with permanent labels will work out better.
Daphne

Re: Brown Derby Salad and Dressing Gourmet_Mom Theresa, it is perfe...
The dressing does sound great. Thanks!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Brown Derby Salad and Dressing Gourmet_Mom A while back we were...
I am new to this and saw this beautiful picture and would like the recipe. Where can I find it? thx, mominmn8

Re: Brown Derby Salad and Dressing mominmn8 I am new to this and...
Go back up towards the top of this thread, 'mom' and you'll see where Gourmet Mom (Daphne) posted the recipe.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Brown Derby Salad and Dressing