Good morning all! Does anyone have a recipe for broccoli cheese soup they could recommend? We're having a get together at our house on Saturday to watch several college football games (read: my sister and I will be at the pool drinking chardonnay!) and I'm just planning on a nice cold cut platter, assorted breads & rolls, a few salads. I'd like to make a pot of soup too.

Any help you can give me will be appreciated, as always.

Broccoli Cheese Soup - Looking for a recipe Trixxee Good morning all! D...
I think I saw a recpe in the Soups magazine----looked pretty good....maybe someone can access that recipe???

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy

Re: Broccoli Cheese Soup - Looking for a recipe Roxanne 21 I think I saw a recp...
I dont have one for broccoli cheese soup, but I can give you recipes for zucchini-parmesan soup or supreme pizza soup if you want!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!

Re: Broccoli Cheese Soup - Looking for a recipe chef_Tab I dont have one for ...
Thanks guys - I have access to all those. And, we've had a slight change of plans. Since the minimum catering order was for 10 people, we'll have plenty of food w/o soup.

But thank you!

Re: Broccoli Cheese Soup - Looking for a recipe Trixxee Thanks guys - I have...
The absolute easiest recipe I ever found (and one that NEVER leaves leftovers) is one quart of half-n-half, one bag of frozen broccoli and one jar of cheese wiz. Throw it all in the crock pot and forget it for a couple of hours. I generally double the recipe for a lot of people, cause nobody stops at one bowl!

It really needs to meld in the crock pot, doesn't come out the same on the stove top. I also tend to play a little with the basic recipe, add more broccoli, thin it with a little more milk when I want to stretch it a little. But it is a great recipe for a pot luck, picnic, or just a fall day!

Re: Broccoli Cheese Soup - Looking for a recipe iBcookin The absolute easiest...
Okay, so I had a brain fart . . . forgot to include a can of cream of something (mushroom, chicken, celery, etc) in the recipe. Sorry!!!

Re: Broccoli Cheese Soup - Looking for a recipe iBcookin Okay, so I had a bra...
Here's a recipe I copied out of a cookbook of recipes from Central Florida restaurants. Pebbles is a great place, but I've never tried this soup there, and have NOT made it at home, yet.

It calls for two premade seasonings: Spike (which is wonderful, but is not available here) and Maggi (which I have not tried, but is available here). If you have trouble finding them, I'm sure you could just wing it and season it to your taste. Spike is a rather unusual blend, even containing dried horseradish (something I don't usually like, but is not really noticeable AS horseradish in this blend). The recipe says it is available at health-food stores and "most supermarkets," but I only used to be able to find it at the health-food stores. Either way, I'm sure that neither it nor the Maggi seasoning are THAT important for making a good soup - it just won't exactly match the recipe if you use something else. One thing that could be interesting is one of the varieties of Goya Sazón (just be careful of the saltiness, or get the no-salt variety),

Interestingly enough, the recipe calls for grated American cheese, along with some Asiago. Be careful if you decide to try a different cheese, since many can often have a tendency to wind up in a ball at the bottom of the pan when you try to used them in something like this. Perhaps one of the pre-packaged Cheddar sauces (i.e. rather than actual Cheddar) would work well, and I do plan on trying that, myself, since I happen to have some of that sauce (the "Bakers & Chefs" brand sold through Sam's Club, which just happens to be available at the import stores here). As mentioned earlier, I have not made this soup YET, but I have been considering doing something like this, in order to make use of that Cheddar sauce. That will probably be NEXT weekend, though, so I won't be able to give any review, etc., until then.

Pebbles' Broccoli Cheese Soup
(Makes 12 servings)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 Quarts Chicken stock
  • 2 Sticks Butter
  • 4 Tbsp Flour
  • 1 Onion, finely chopped
  • 2 Bunches Fresh broccoli, cleaned, stems peeled, and chopped into medium to fine pieces
  • 1 Tsp Tabasco sauce
  • 1 Tbsp Spike (available in health-food stores and most supermarkets)
  • 1 Tbsp Maggi Seasoning (available in most supermarkets)
  • 1 Bay leaf
  • 1 1/2 Cups Grated American cheese, not imitation cheese
  • 1/2 Cup Grated Asiago cheese
  • 1 Cup Heavy cream
INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. Heat chicken stock or broth in separate saucepan. Set aside.
  2. In large soup kettle or stockpot, melt butter. Add chopped onion and sauté about 3 minutes, do not allow to brown.
  3. Slowly whip in flour to make a roux. Cook for 5 minutes over low heat, stirring carefully.
  4. Add hot stock, whipping constantly with wire whisk. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer stirring occasionally.
  5. Add bay leaf, broccoli and rest of seasonings. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
  6. Stir in cheeses and simmer for 10 minutes, continuing to stir to blend well.
  7. Stir in cream and serve.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Broccoli Cheese Soup - Looking for a recipe