The peppers were finally starting to ripen, so we decided to blitz it this weekend. I was way more organized than usual. Friday night he cleaned and cut the habs. I cut and soaked the dried apricots, cut and measured everything into baggies. Hauled up all the canning stuff from the basement. Saturday morning we were good to go. I had enough for 8 batches, but kind of did a melt down after the 7th batch, so got up at 7am today and did the last one.

AND I managed to do laundry in between. Supper was easy, I sent him out to get a fresh homemade lasagna from the Italian bakeshop, and a loaf of good bread.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Habanero Gold Jelly Weekend Lorraine The peppers were fin...
Sounds like a busy weekend Lorraine, and I sure all your efforts are going to be worth it.

I have had a hankerin' for lasagna lately. I wish we had an Italian bakeshop nearby... I'd be able to keep them in business for sure!

The jelly sounds just delightful!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
We didn't plant any habaneros this year - and we still have some of the jam from last year. I't yummy on a peanut butter sandwich.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Lorraine, do you sell this jelly?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!

Re: Habanero Gold Jelly Weekend chef_Tab Lorraine, do you sel...
Laura, we have two great Italian stores very close by. Their breads are wonderful, and the pastas etc are made on site.

Theresa, I don't sell any of it, as it's not made in a commercial kitchen, I don't want to take the chance. We just make it to give away. If more of the habs ripen this week, it'll be hab sauce and salsa next weekend.

I didn't think the habs would be very hot this year, as we didn't get much heat or sunshine. But, they're hotter than last years.

Re: Habanero Gold Jelly Weekend Lorraine Laura, we have two g...
My jalapenos are finally ripening, so I'll be getting some more jam/jelly made - not with habaneros tho.

Lorraine, do I have that recipe? doesn't sound familiar....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Habanero Gold Jelly Weekend cjs My jalapenos are fin...
Jeam, I think you could sub the jalapenos for the habs. Here's the recipe:

I opened a new box of Bernardin jars, and there was a leaflet with this recipe. The jelly looks great, as the bits of onion etc are suspended in it. The apricot gives it a bit of sweetness.

1/3 C finely sliced dried apricots
3/4 C white vinegar (5% acidity)
1/4 C each: finely chopped red onion, red bell pepper, and seeded habaneros
3 C granulated sugar
1 pouch (85 ml) Bernardin liquid pectin

In large stainless steel pan, combine apricots and vinegar. Let stand at least 4 hours.

Add red onion, red peppers, habaneros, and sugar. Over high heat, stirring constantly, bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Stir in pectin. Boil hard for 1 minute. Remove from heat, skim off foam, and stir to disperse peppers.

Ladle jelly into hot jars following manufacturers directions. Process in hot water bath 10 minutes.

Makes 6 X 125 ml jars, or 3 X 250 ml jars.

Re: Habanero Gold Jelly Weekend Lorraine Jeam, I think you co...
Thanks Lorraine -duly copied and as an old friend used to say, "You had me at...apricots"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Habanero Gold Jelly Weekend cjs Thanks Lorraine -dul...
Me too. YUM!!
Shannon
  Re: Habanero Gold Jelly Weekend cjs My jalapenos are fin...
Quote:

My jalapenos are finally ripening...

If you're one of those experimenting with smokers right now, don't forget to put a big batch of your RED jalapeƱos into the smoker to make some chipotles. It does take many HOURS, though, so plan ahead.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Habanero Gold Jelly Weekend