This recipe is from the new Soups, Stews and Chilies Book. A real simple review - did not change a thing, loved it. Wait, actually we did change the cooking time. I have never had any recipe involving chuck roast to be tender after an hour and a half as the recipe calls for. It was more like three hours on top of the stove in a dutch oven. Really liked the noodles with dill, peas and butter with it too. What a nice way to jazz up noodles.

I can't remember ever making Hungarian Goulash before so I don't really have any other recipe to compare it too but we totally enjoyed it and will make it again. I'd give it a 9, at least!

REVIEW - Hungarian Goulash Trixxee This recipe is from ...
yeah, thanks, Trixxee! So glad you enjoyed it. Now I will definitely put it on the menu for this week. Did you serve anything else with it? I am figuring the peas will be the vege!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!

Re: REVIEW - Hungarian Goulash chef_Tab yeah, thanks, Trixxe...
Yes, peas were the veggie for us. That was all I served. But tonight I'm serving just a basic tossed salad with it.

Hope you like it!

Re: REVIEW - Hungarian Goulash Trixxee Yes, peas were the v...
Would be interesting to see how that compares with the one I posted earlier from the Hungarian Cookbook I have.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: REVIEW - Hungarian Goulash labradors Would be interesting...
Thanks for the review Trixxee. Looks like one I need to make. I've never made goulash, but this is not what I envision. But it DOES look good!

Here you go labs:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Hungarian Goulash

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 pounds beef chuck roast -- boneless; cut into 2" chunks, seasoned with salt and pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups onion -- diced
3 tablespoons garlic -- minced
3 tablespoons hungarian sweet paprika
3 cups beef broth
1/4 cup tomato paste
3/4 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
salt -- to taste

Dredge beef in flour, shaking off any excess, then sear in oil in batches in a large pot over medium-high heat, adding more oil if necessary. Remove beef from the pot and set aside.

Saute onion, garlic, and paprika in the pot for 30 seconds, then deglaze with broth, scraping to loosen any browned bits.

Stir in tomato paste and reserved beef, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered until meat is fork-tender, 1-1 1/2 hours. Off heat finish with sour cream, vinegar, and salt.

Source "Soups, Stews, and Chilies, page 75"

Serving Ideas : Serve with Buttery Egg Noodles

NOTES : Trixxee: This recipe is from the new Soups, Stews and Chilies Book. A real simple review - did not change a thing, loved it. Wait, actually we did change the cooking time. I have never had any recipe involving chuck roast to be tender after an hour and a half as the recipe calls for. It was more like three hours on top of the stove in a dutch oven. Really liked the noodles with dill, peas and butter with it too. What a nice way to jazz up noodles.

I can't remember ever making Hungarian Goulash before so I don't really have any other recipe to compare it too but we totally enjoyed it and will make it again. I'd give it a 9, at least!

Buttery Egg Noodles

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 9 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 package egg noodles -- wide (1 pound)
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
1/4 cup fresh dill -- chopped
3 tablespoons unsalted butter -- softened

Cook noodles according to package directions, adding peas to the water during the last minute of cooking. Drain and transfer to a serving bowl.

Toss with remaining ingredients until butter melts.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  REVIEW - Hungarian Goulash Trixxee This recipe is from ...
I love Goulash. Thanks for posting the recipe, and for the review.

"This recipe is from the new Soups, Stews and Chilies Book"

I should never have sent the book to VA. I think I may to have check the grocery store and buy another.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: REVIEW - Hungarian Goulash Lorraine I love Goulash. Tha...
Thanks for reminding me of the source Lorraine. I went back and added it.

Yea, you may want to pick up another. I'm figuring you won't unpack that box until the move...still a couple of winter months away. (Which, at the rate we're all going, they'll all be posted on here before long...LOL! ) When I showed it to William, he didn't see one recipe he didn't want me to try. His comment, "I love soups and stews!"
Daphne

Re: REVIEW - Hungarian Goulash Gourmet_Mom Thanks for reminding...
I was just comparing the recipes and think I would probably like the one from the C&H soups and stews. It has lots of paprika plus some vinegar.....yum yum. Also, I tend to not like potatoes in my goulash. Especially if I plan to serve it on noodles.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!

Re: REVIEW - Hungarian Goulash chef_Tab I was just comparing...
C@H sure does have a winner with this publication - don't think there has been a bad review from it yet. The goulash is marked.

off subject just a minute - I made the sausage & squash soup yesterday for today's or tommorrow's lunch and had trouble stopping tasting it-finally had to have a little bowl. It's so good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: REVIEW - Hungarian Goulash cjs [url=mailto:C@H]C@H[...
Thanks for the review on the sausage and squash soup, Jean. I've got that on the menu for this week....looking forward to it.

I agree on the winner publication comment! We're having the Creamy Crab Bisque tomorrow night....Can't wait! The sausage and squash is slated for Thursday!

I'm looking at putting the goulash on for next week! What wonderful recipes to choose from with cooler weather coming on! It's supposed to be in the lower 70's here later this week with lows in the 50's and 60's! YIPPPEEEE! Come on fall!
Daphne
REVIEW - Hungarian Goulash