Sweet?? Savory?? Just heard of this tonite
The possible uses seem endless to me now. So, who has a good recipe and when do you use the sweet kind and what do you use the savory for???? Can you make a batch and save in fridge? or freeze? can?
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life

Onion Marmalade farnfam Sweet?? Savory?? Jus...
Cis, I don't know what you are referencing to, but I happen to have a Sweet Onion Jam that we LOVE! This comes from none other than Chef Dave Nelson and it is WONDERFUL! It's that time of year. This stuff is wonderful with greens and pork, especially.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Spicy Red Onion Jam

Recipe By :Chef Dave Nelson
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sides and Sauces

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 large red onion -- small dice, but not minced
1 teaspoon peanut oil
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar

Sauté onions in peanut oil for one minute or so, Add vinegar and sugar and cook until caramelized, but not totally reduced. You want the onions to still have some "Tooth" and still be a bit saucy.

Source:
"cooking.com"
S(Internet Address):
"http://forums.chef2chef.net/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=recipe&Number=542410&Searchpage=1&Main=542410&Words=Brie+dnelson&topic=&Search=true#Post542410"

NOTES : I first tried this because we love onions and it sounded sooo good. We had it with fried rice and a roasted pork tenderloin. It was very good!

1-1-08 Served this with our NYD collard greens. It was a great accompaniment!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Onion Marmalade farnfam Sweet?? Savory?? Jus...
Love the stuff! Here's one of Paulie's I've been using for years:

Sliced red onions sauteed in butter until lightly caramelized and softened. Add red wine, red wine vinegar, sugar and salt. Cook down slowly until the onions have started to break down and the liquid has turned syrupy and almost evaporated. We use it on steak.

Jean has a recipe with fennel in it that is also great. Some call it jam, others marmalade, still others confit (although confit usually refers to something cooked in it's own fat). We had a discussion on it years ago on another board. I found the other one I made (from budachef)

we do an onion jam with oj, red peppercorns, brown sugar red wine and lemon rind. (the trick is to cook it very slow to release the sugars in the onion, they have a lot but it takes patience to achive the right flavor)served with a slow roasted duck breast marinated in orange slices, rosemary and olive oil, sauteed apples and potato donuts.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Onion Marmalade Lorraine Love the stuff! Her...
OH my, one of my favorite things to make and eat - this one with the fennel is so good with fish. I was going to do a dish at a fundraiser using skate and I found this Thomas Keller recipe that I played with.

FENNEL-ONION CONFIT

Recipe By :a Thomas Keller recipe - worked over for Road trip to Windsor by Jean Denham, CC

1 1/2 lbs (1 large or 2 medium bulbs) fennel, trimmed
8 ozs (1 med.) Spanish onion
3 ozs unsalted butter, cut into chunks
1 tsp kosher salt
Bouquet Garni: 8 thyme sprigs, 2 parsley sprigs, 1 bay leaves, 1/2 tsp. black peppercorns in cheesecloth
1/4 c finely chopped pitted Nicoise olives
2 Tbsps minced Italian parsley

Cut the fennel lengthwise in half. Cut out & discard the core.
Place the fennel cut side down on a cutting board and slice crosswise into 1/4" slices.
(You should have ~ 4 cups sliced fennel)

Cut off the top and bottom of the onion and cut the onion lengthwise in half.
Remove the peel & outer layers.
Cut a "V" wedge in the bottom of each piece to remove the core & pull out any solid flat pieces from the center.

Lay one onion half cut side down on a cutting board with the root end toward you.
There are lines on the outside of the onion; cut along these lines (the grain) rather than against them to help the onions soften more quickly.
Holding the knife almost parallel to the board, slice the onion lengthwise into 1/4" thick slices following the lines of the onion.
Separate the slices of onion - you should have about 2 cups of sliced onions (for 100 servings: +++++cups)

Warm 1/4 cup water in a large pot over low heat.
Add the butter and whisk to melt.
Add the fennel, onions, salt & bouquet garni, stir to combine, and place a parchment lid on top, (parchment lid - cut in a circle after folding like an airplane & cut the tip for a small hole in the center) pressing it against the fennel and onions.
Cook very slowly, stirring every 20-30 min. at first, then more often toward the end of cooking, for about 2 hours.
The fennel and onions will wilt and steam will rise, but the vegetables should not brown.

Check after about 30 minutes: If the veggies seem lost in the pot, transfer to a smaller pot & cut down the parchment lid to fit.
If there is very little liquid in the pot, add a bit more water; or, if there is a lot of liquid remaining, you can turn up the heat slightly to cook a bit more ore rapidly.
After about 2 hors, the veggies will have softened but not be falling apart; there may still be liquid left in the pot.
Remove & discard the bouquet garni.
Let the confit cool in its liquid. Transfer the confit, with the liquid, to a plastic container and refrigerate up to 3 days.

TO SERVE: Drain & reheat over low heat.
Stir in the olives and parsley.

Yield:
"2 c"

------

Onion jam

1 1/2 pounds red onions -- very thinly sliced
2 cups dry red wine
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

For onion jam:
Combine onions, wine, honey, and thyme in large skillet. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until wine is almost absorbed, stirring occasionally, about 55 minutes. Mix in red wine vinegar.

Simmer 10 minutes to blend flavors, adding water by tablespoonfuls to moisten if jam is dry and stirring often (onions will still be slightly crunchy). Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.

Before using, rewarm over medium heat until just
warm, adding more water by tablespoonfuls if jam is dry.)

Description:
"a B.A. recipe"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

and lastly - everyone of these recipes tastes just enough different that I love to make all three.

Red Onion Marmalade

1/4 cup olive oil
6 cups thinly sliced red onions (about 3 1/4 pounds)
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1 cup dark brown sugar -- (packed)
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup dry Sherry
1 1/2 tablespoons grated peeled fresh ginger
1/2 cup raisins

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions and dried red pepper. Cover and cook until onions are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Add brown sugar, vinegar, Sherry and ginger. Cook uncovered until onions are very tender and mixture is thick, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes.

Add raisins and cook until mixture is very thick and dark, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cool completely. (Can be prepared 4 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Bon Appétit | February 1997
Servings: 2 1/2 Cups.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Onion Marmalade cjs OH my, one of my fav...
I knew you'd post good ones. Thanks!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Onion Marmalade Lorraine I knew you'd post go...
Oh thanks ever so much! I was just FoodGawk-ing last night and I found a recipe that called for onion marmalade. I'd never heard of it but it sounded delicious! I Googled it but then I thought you'd all have the tried and true ones. So thanks again, I'll be working on this.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Onion Marmalade farnfam Oh thanks ever so mu...
...and you will let us know what this will go into, right??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Onion Marmalade