I have tried to incorporate Kosher salt and sea salt in my cooking as an alternative to the regular old Morton's iodized salt and I either get things too salty or not salty enough. What is the rule of thumb in using these salts and does it really make a difference? Are there any specific guidelines as to when to use one type of salt versus another?

Kosher Salt vs. Sea Salt vs. Iodized Table Salt wheatleyp1 I have tried to inco...
I'm due for a glass of wine, so I'm not going to answer right now, but someone will be by soon I'm sure and will help you - if not, I'll try in the a.m.

Good questions you have lately, 'wheatleyp'
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Kosher Salt vs. Sea Salt vs. Iodized Table Salt cjs I'm due for a glass ...
I'll be anxious to see what posts here. I agree...some really good questions you're asking "wheatleyp". I use Kosher salt when cooking and finishing and use the suggested amount in the recipe.

For old dishes from my childhood that are in my head, I just wing it and it usually comes out fine....a good pinch or two...unless cocktail hour has started...then I can sometimes get a little heavy handed...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Kosher Salt vs. Sea Salt vs. Iodized Table Salt wheatleyp1 I have tried to inco...
We use sea salt and Kosher salt but I never measure when I am making something that I "know" but in recipes I use probably one quarter less in Kosher salt and just a tiny bit less in sea salt (but then that depends on which sea salt it is) - I just always go by my eyes so I am not much help - we haven't bought table salt in 7-8 years
Quote:

I have tried to incorporate Kosher salt and sea salt in my cooking as an alternative to the regular old Morton's iodized salt and I either get things too salty or not salty enough. What is the rule of thumb in using these salts and does it really make a difference? Are there any specific guidelines as to when to use one type of salt versus another?

See "cooking with wine"-----
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".

Re: Kosher Salt vs. Sea Salt vs. Iodized Table Salt Old Bay [blockquote]Quote:[h...
I pretty much use kosher salt in cooking. I think mostly I use the recommended amount in a recipe - but I rarely measure when cooking meat or sauces. Just spinkle. The times I am very careful is when I brine and make sure the amount in the recipe is for Kosher salt - or make the adjustment. This is the rule of thumb I use:

1/4 cup table salt =
1/2 cup Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt or
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp Morton Kosher salt.
(Diamond Crystal has the biggest crystal size)

From what I understand, it is not that the other salts are "Saltier" it is that the size of the crystals are different therefor a Tbsp of table salt has more salt in it than a tbsp of Kosher salt that has bigger crystals. Same goes for Sea Salt.

Baking I use table salt and for the Table/finish I use Sea Salt.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.

Re: Kosher Salt vs. Sea Salt vs. Iodized Table Salt esgunn I pretty much use ko...
I can not recall the last time I used "table salt" but to make up for the lack of iodine in my "diet" I have gone to drinking the town water and a new multi-vitamin that I can take with my Parkinson's medications that contains iodine.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)

Re: Kosher Salt vs. Sea Salt vs. Iodized Table Salt firechef I can not recall the...
Well, nicely answered! I do what others do, mostly add by taste - kosher being my 'go to' salt and others for playing with.

Cocktails/wine do seem to have a play in heavy-handedness, don't they?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Kosher Salt vs. Sea Salt vs. Iodized Table Salt cjs Well, nicely answere...
Me, too... kosher salt is my default, I rarely measure, just pinch and sprinkle. I only use table salt for baking, and sea salts at the table.
  Re: Kosher Salt vs. Sea Salt vs. Iodized Table Salt firechef I can not recall the...
Erin thank you for the conversion. I too typically don't measure for salt when I use it but that got me in trouble when using the Kosher salt. I made a dish and it was very salty. It seemed like the longer it sat the saltier it became. I also tried to use Kosher Salt on some baked potatoes a few weeks ago trying to duplicate what we had in a restaurant but the salt remained in the foil as opposed to being on the baked potatoe.
Kosher Salt vs. Sea Salt vs. Iodized Table Salt