Someone in my neighborhood has this little kitten that they wont let in the house. My guess is that it is somewhere between 4-6 months old. It is so cute and pathetic. I have brought it into my house to feed it and warm it a few times. I just don't know how to politely explain to them that they are making this tiny kitten suffer. I do not think they are mean people, just uninformed about cats. They do not have a barn or any kind of place for this kitty to escape the harsh elements. I have thought about keeping it, but I think they would just get another. I don't even know if this one is spayed and it is a female. What should I do??
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!

poor little kitten chef_Tab Someone in my neighb...
If it doesn't have any identification, why not take it to a shelter and tell them your problem - maybe pretend its a stray?

That's a hard one.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: poor little kitten cjs If it doesn't have a...
Quote:

... maybe pretend its a stray?

For that matter, are you sure it's NOT a stray? It wouldn't be the first time a stray cat parked herself outside someone's house, waiting to be taken in.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: poor little kitten labradors [blockquote]Quote:[h...
"For that matter, are you sure it's NOT a stray?"

No, the first time it followed me home, I actually asked the owner about it. She told me her 2 year old daughter wanted a kitty so they got this one. She told me the kitty was not allowed in the house. I replied, "not even in the winter?". Her response to that was, "oh, our porch is covered"! Like that will keep anything warm! I am surprised a hawk hasn't already eaten the little tike. Anyway, I would just keep the kitten myself, but they would probably just get another. I want to figure out a way to convince them that you cannot keep it outside. It is so lovable and will not stop purring.
Theresa

Re: poor little kitten chef_Tab "For that matter, ar...
I would contact animal control and talk to them. In many cities they'll send out an officer to talk to the family about proper animal care. Too many people think that just because an animal has fur that it can survive outside.

Off the top of my head - sort of a passive/aggressive way to give your kid a pet - yes you can have one - but no you can't have it inside, just outside seems mean to me.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: poor little kitten Harborwitch I would contact anim...
Personally, I am not too keen on a kid that little having any small helpless pet. A big lab maybe, but no puppies, kittens, or hamsters that can get loved to death. I do not know these people very well, but I do know the little kid was terribly sick for a long time, in and out of the hospital sick. I wonder if there are allergies involved, but then why get a pet at all? Arrrrggghhhh, stupid people make me crazy. I have the kitty in the house right now. It is sleeping peacefully on a chair and has no desire to leave. I am considering walking over there to talk to the woman. I did call a no kill shelter for advice, but they have not returned my call yet. I have mixed feelings about animal control as there is actually a law in our town that even cats must be leashed outside. I don't want to get the kitten confiscated. The shelters are so overpopulated as it is.
Theresa

Re: poor little kitten Harborwitch I would contact anim...
Quote:

I would contact animal control and talk to them. In many cities they'll send out an officer to talk to the family about proper animal care. Too many people think that just because an animal has fur that it can survive outside.

Off the top of my head - sort of a passive/aggressive way to give your kid a pet - yes you can have one - but no you can't have it inside, just outside seems mean to me.

Ditto this! If they're going to keep it outside, it needs a shelter of some kind. But this is really cruel to do.

My hubby and I were in the same position 4 years ago. Next-door white-trash neighbors kept letting out this kitten they had gotten in July. To see her outside and so tiny was breaking our hearts. Plus, she was starting to get feral and I knew she didn't have any shots and definitely wasn't spayed.

On December 3rd of that year, Hubby was smoking on the enclosed front porch when she comes up and mews to be let in. He came inside and said, "That's it, we're taking her!" So we set her up on the enclosed front porch with food, water, heat, and litter. The neighbors had been gone for a couple days already and it was 25 degrees out. This was on a Friday night.

On Sunday they came back and we moved her to the finished basement to keep her from being seen. Turns out, they lost their lease to the rental and were moving out! We actually got to keep her!! My birthday wish came true!

Took her to the vet on the Monday. She was 6 months old and not even 5 lbs and had fleas. It all worked out in the end and they never stopped by to ask for her or if we had seen her.

I wish I could post a pic of her - she's just adorable!!

I hope you can resolve this situation.

Barbara and Hubby<~~~official cat burglars
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.

Re: poor little kitten BarbaraS [blockquote]Quote:[h...
This is a tough one Theresa. Geez, I've tried 3 different solutions, but none solve the problem. I guess in the end, I'd maybe try telling her that I was keeping the kitten at my house to keep it safe. If the kid wants to visit, bring her over. Just tell the kid her kitten was on a permanent sleep over.

I also agree with not letting children that young have a kitten. A friend got her oldest son a kitten and his 3 year old little brother loved it to death in the back seat on the way home from the first vet visit.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: poor little kitten cjs If it doesn't have a...
Theresa, if you know the owners, I would contact them. We had neighbours like that when we first moved here. I phoned them and told them I had brought there cat in my house as it was freezing and hungry. (It was the dead of winter. I strung them the line that I thought she may have gotten out of the house, and perhaps they were looking for her. They got the hint. I like Jean's idea too. If I was closer......
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  poor little kitten chef_Tab Someone in my neighb...
Chef,

Do you think you can steal her and not be found out? When we were pondering our situation, we contacted my brother in CA and asked him about it. He told me that the odds were pretty good that she wouldn't survive if we didn't rescue her. Plus, if she did, she would become a breeder or because she was so small, she would die giving birth.

We live in a small town, but there's still a lot of wildlife around here. Owls and red-tail hawks. She's prey for these two birds.

I know what you're going through and I hope this can be resolved. Some people should be not be allowed to have children or own pets. Hang in there and keep us (or me) informed.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
poor little kitten