I played around with this while Jane was participating in a group garage sale (not my favorite thing). Turned out good. I'm still trying to adjust the heat.

1 med yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 T corn oil
Saute in a med pot until transparent.
2 14oz cans chicken broth
1 med potato, cubed
Add broth to pot, bring to a boil, add potatoes, cook until done.
1 bunch cilantro, tough ends removed. Roughly chop cilantro.
1 chili without seeds(your choice, jalapeno, poblano, Hatch), chopped
1/2 t ground cumin
salt & pepper to taste
Add these 4 ingredients to the pot and cook until chilis are done--I used roasted and peeled chilis--I liked it that way. Doesn't take as long.

Add half and half or cream to taste and to adjust the chili heat--bring to a simmer. Puree with an emersion blender until smooth-continue to adjust pepper heat with dairy. Serve with tortilla chips.

A dollup of creme fraiche or even sour cream on top with a squeeze of lime really makes it taste fresh!! Delicious!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".

Cream of Cilantro Soup Old Bay I played around with...
ohhh, that is sounding good. copied and will have to play too.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Cream of Cilantro Soup Old Bay I played around with...
Quote:

1 chili without seeds(your choice, jalapeno, poblano, Hatch), chopped

Given everything else that's in this, I would use TWO (they're small) Serrano chiles, WITH seeds. In fact, I'll probably make this in a couple of days, and try it just that way.

One question: how much is "one bunch" of cilantro? Even in the States, that would vary greatly from store to store. Here, not only may that be different, but I may decide to use culantro ancho (a.k.a. culantro, recao, etc.) instead of the usual cilantro (a.k.a. culantro fino, culantro castillo, etc.).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Cream of Cilantro Soup labradors [blockquote]Quote:[h...
Two serranos would be good--you can trust their consistancy more than other chilis--a bunch??--I would chop a good handfull of cilantro--thick stems removed (small stems are good)---I'm still playing with this--I didn't want to overpower with the cilantro--so far so good, in fact what I had today was delicious!!! Let me know what you do if you decide to make this--work in progress--so far just my creation and not subject to copyright!!!

Re: Cream of Cilantro Soup Old Bay Two serranos would b...
Quote:

...I'm still playing with this...so far just my creation...

Ah. Okay. Well, then I SHALL use the culantro ancho, since I've grown to prefer that, anyway, and it's more plentiful, here, than what you are using. I'll let you know.

Re: Cream of Cilantro Soup labradors [blockquote]Quote:[h...
Quote:

[blockquote]Quote:

...I'm still playing with this...so far just my creation...

Ah. Okay. Well, then I SHALL use the culantro ancho, since I've grown to prefer that, anyway, and it's more plentiful, here, than what you are using. I'll let you know.

[/blockquote]

What is culantro ancho?? I don't even know if is available here. Is it the leaves from an ancho chili plant?

Re: Cream of Cilantro Soup Old Bay [blockquote]Quote:[h...
The place I order my seeds has it:
Nichols Garden Nursery

Eryngium foetidum. Biennial/8". Katy Stokes, our grower, obtained her original seed from a Nicaraguan expatriate. The robust cilantro like flavor holds when cooked so she uses it for all her canned salsas and chutneys. Forms short long leaved rosettes, best in moist partial shade. Widely used in Central American, Caribbean and South East Asian cuisine.

Also Look here.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.

Re: Cream of Cilantro Soup esgunn The place I order my...
Thanks Erin!! I'll see if I can get it at Central Market. Sounds worth a try.

Re: Cream of Cilantro Soup Old Bay Thanks Erin!! I'll s...
That second link is particularly good, and is one I have used, before.

Since this type of "cilantro" also very popular with Puerto Ricans, you may also find it in Hispanic markets (if you have any), where it will be called recao.

Re: Cream of Cilantro Soup labradors That second link is ...
hmmm, that's interesting. When using cilantro, I use all but the very ends of the stems - seems to be where the best flavor is.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Cream of Cilantro Soup