November 29th (and all last Saturdays of a month) was the night we pulled out two bottles of wine from the cellar (O.K., it's a room downstairs... ) that had been hanging around forever - we really did not have high hopes for either one, but...

1978 Souverain Appellation North Coast Cabernet Sauvignon

What a wonderful surprise - the cork was real bad, even crumbled a bit removing it. But what saved it was the "gunk" that collected at the top of the bottle evidently sealed it and saved it. It was wonderful!

1979 Hinzerling Yakima Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (price tag was still on it - $13.99)

This was not as tasty, but still drinkable. It was rather light (or a little watery) but really not much of a brownish edge to it so it hadn't turned yet.

Anyway, the first 'try a bottle night' or whatever you called it Bill, was a rousing success!

Since we won't be home the last Saturday this month, I hope I remember to stash a bottle in the trailer to take with us.

This is such a good idea!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Can't Remember What Bill Called It! cjs November 29th (and a...
"Open That Bottle Night"--officially the last Saturday in February. Created by Dorothy Gaiter and her husband John Brecher, wine editors for the Wall Street Journal-no reason not to celebrate it more often--we do!! Lets all do it together this February!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".

Re: Can't Remember What Bill Called It! Old Bay "Open That Bottle Ni...
Once a year???? That's all?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Can't Remember What Bill Called It! cjs Once a year???? That...
Quote:

Once a year???? That's all?

We celebrate it just about every nite!!--that Feb Saturday is just the official day.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Can't Remember What Bill Called It!