What good stuff is everyone up to tonight? I'm taking the easy way out today - pot roast in the crock pot with cream of crummy soup and onion soup mix. Mashed potatoes and a tossed salad as sides. I can't remember the last time I made a pot roast - good for leftovers tomorrow.

I also just made the roasted tomato soup from the Splendid Soups book for lunch. Very tasty and very simple.

Monday Dinner? Trixxee What good stuff is e...
working hard today, so thank heaven's I have lots of leftovers in the fridge. Clam chowder, garlic noodles from something, slow cooked chuck roast w/marinara, veggies. So, we're all set. Hoping I can stretch the l/os out thru tomorrow night also!! Nose to the grindstone!

(at least til we can get the hell out of here!!!! )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Monday Dinner? cjs working hard today, ...
We had pot roast last night. Cooked in the old cast iron Dutch oven. We chunked up chicken breasts last night and cooked them, but we're having homemade Reubens tonight. The only Reubens I really like are my sister Marilee's. She said she didn't know why she bought the cheapest products she could find including the sliced meat. Oh well, they're fabulous.

Jean, I hope it thaws for you up there. We were down to 17° last night and this morning, but by now (11:40) it's made it up to 38° and the sun is shining. If this keeps up maybe I can go home tomorrow. Went out and cleared about 6" of snow off the car and let it run for about 15 minutes.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Re: Monday Dinner? bjcotton We had pot roast las...
We are finally having our Asian dinner with the garlic noodles.

Yesterday I put a big ol' pork shoulder in the roasting pan with wine and aromatics - then added parsnips, carrots, turnips, and baby potatoes and made a wonderful gravy from the juices. Tonight is going to be lighter.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Monday Dinner? Harborwitch We are finally havin...
The gratin thread got me thinking about Scalloped Potatoes, so I'll be making those to go with some leftover chicken.

Scalloped Potatoes
Once cheese is added, it's Potatoes [i]Gratin, not Scalloped Potatoes[/i]

Ingredients:
  • 4 or 5 Potatoes, peeled and
  • thinly sliced
  • Butter as needed (see instructions)
  • Flour as needed (see instructions)
  • Salt and black pepper to taste
  • 2 C Milk, heated
Instructions:
  1. Preheat over to 350F.
  2. Butter the bottom and sides of a two-quart casserole.
  3. Layer potatoes, 2 tbsp butter, salt and pepper.
  4. Sprinkle 2 tbsp flour evenly over the top.
  5. Repeat the layering process, ending with potatoes.
  6. Pour heated milk over top of potatoes, but no more than enough just to cover.
  7. Bake 1 1/2 hours, or until tender.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Monday Dinner? labradors The [i]gratin[/i] th...
Well, I'm still cleaning out the freezer. I found a pack of Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs in there, so I thawed them (yesterday) and balled them up to fry up for dinner with steamed cabbage....YUM!

I stalled dinner a bit to prep for tomorrow night....Jean's Beef Short Ribs. (NO...I didn't spring for the pomegranate juice to make the glaze...just did it straight up. Comparing yours to Lorraine's I made before.) So that's braised and sitting in my fridge for a quick easy for tomorrow night with Creamy Polenta and green beans!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Monday Dinner? Gourmet_Mom Well, I'm still clea...
Holly went out and ordered our new cabinets on the way home and stopped to wish her mom and dad a happy anniversary and left me to my own devices tonight. I did up some leftover apple bourbon marinated pork "stew meat" and tossed finely chopped red onions and apple that were sauteed in apple cider concentrate, bourbon and oil. I added some bow tie pasta and cream, a touch of cinnamon, a bit of fresh rosemary reduced the sauce and made a nice sweet pork pasta and cream sauce. It was pretty good stuff.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)

Re: Monday Dinner? firechef Holly went out and o...
Best laid plans, again! I made mini mac & cheeses for a party Saturday so had a leftover casserole in the fridge - heated that up, heated some tasty brats in some red wine and tossed green & yellow squash with butter and toasted garlic. Yum!

Chinese tonight!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Monday Dinner? Harborwitch Best laid plans, aga...
I'm making a new meatloaf recipe called Veggilicious Meatloaf, that I got out of a local publication. It sounds good, and if I think it's worth passing along, I'll post it later. It calls for 2 lbs of lean ground beef and 12 oz. of loose pork sausage. Since I have an abundance of deer meat, I'm subbing that for the beef.

Trixxee, I love to make pot-roast that way! Yummm!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Monday Dinner? Trixxee What good stuff is e...
Well this morning I made some English Muffins and thought I would make some Eggs Benedict for dinner tonight!

If you have never made English muffins, you should try them. They are very easy to do, just take a bit of rise time. They taste nothing like the ones in the store which are usually dry (except for Bay's, which are my favorite). These turned out crispy on the outside and soft as pillows on the inside with glorious holes for which to butter or jam.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
Monday Dinner?