Had a wonderful, healthy dinner last night and these little custards were just delicious. From a Cooking Light magazine.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sweet Corn and Roasted Garlic Custards

1 whole garlic head
2 tsp. butter
3 cups fresh corn kernels (I used my frozen summer roasted corn)
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
Cooking spray
1 1/2 cup fat-free milk
3 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Thyme sprigs (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 F.
Remove white papery skin from garlic head. Wrap head in foil. Bake for 40 minutes, and cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves, squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins. Mash pulp.

Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add corn; cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove 1 cup of the corn, and set aside. Add onions and thyme to remaining corn in pan; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; cool slightly.

Coat 6 (6 oz.) custard cups with cooking spray. Combine mashed roasted garlic, green onion mixture, milk, eggs, egg yolk, salt and pepper, stirring with a whisk. Divide egg mixture evenly among prepared custard cups. Place the custard cups in a 13X9" baking pan, and add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch.

Bake at 375F for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in center of custard comes out clean. Remove cups from pan; cool 5 minutes on a wire rack. Loosen edges of custards with a knife or rubber spatula Place a plate, upside down, on top of each cup, invert onto plates. Sprinkle reserved corn evenly around each custard. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired. Makes 6 servings.

Served 12/16/08 with polenta (C@H Issue #65, pg 24) and Pork Medallions with Olive-Caper sauce. (Cookiing Light) - great dinner. All very good with Ravenswood Zin.

Description:
"from Cooking Light Magazine"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The polenta and pork were both very good also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Sweet Corn & Roasted Garlic Custards cjs Had a wonderful, hea...
These sound wonderful! Only ONE head of garlic, though?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Sounds very good, Jean. That's a lot of garlic! Thanks for posting this, it's a nice, light alternative to a much heavier version that I make sometimes.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Sweet Corn & Roasted Garlic Custards Mare749 Sounds very good, Je...
"Only ONE head of garlic, though?" yes, isn't garlic our friend???

It really is a nice light side - and it's good cold too!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Sounds like a really nice side. This is certainly going on the menu for sometime soon.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Sweet Corn & Roasted Garlic Custards Harborwitch Sounds like a really...
Thanks bunches Jean. This is going to get fixed very soon!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Sweet Corn & Roasted Garlic Custards Gourmet_Mom Thanks bunches Jean....
We're having leftovers of it tonight with some Mushroom Risotto (Roy has been whining.... ) and a roasted half chicken. I think the flavors will go well together.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Sweet Corn & Roasted Garlic Custards cjs We're having leftove...
I may just copy that whole menu Sunday. It's been a while since I did rissotto.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Sweet Corn & Roasted Garlic Custards Gourmet_Mom I may just copy that...
This sounds real dang good...copied for a later try out!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)

Re: Sweet Corn & Roasted Garlic Custards firechef This sounds real dan...
Well, maybe not the entire menu, Daphne...I rubbed some mincemeat (l/o from Thanksgiving pie) under the skin of the chicken and it was wonderful!
www.achefsjourney.com
Sweet Corn & Roasted Garlic Custards