In an old (2002) thread about mayonnaise, someone mentioned an article about pasteurising eggs at home, but there were few additional details given. After a bit of research, I have found two methods, described on the Internet, that appear promising. One of them is for the stovetop, and the other is for the microwave. Here they are (along with links to the original sites). Let me know what you think.

Stovetop: (Source: HubPages)
Quote:

How to pasteurize an egg

The following information is the technique needed for the pasteurization of an egg, and you can use this technique for any mayo recipe.

Separate your yolks from your whites, and reserve the whites for another usage. Place the yolks gently into a metal mixing bowl filled with a bit of cold water. You can also use the top of a double boiler if you have one. By gentle as you don't want to break the yolks!

Heat some water on the stove in a pot that your bowl will fit nicely atop of, and heat this water to a gentle simmer. Place your bowl with the eggs and water over the simmering pot, and heat the water in the egg bowl up very gently.

The temperature of pasteurization is between 52 and 58 degrees Celsius, and any higher than that will start to cook your eggs, so you need to be somewhat precise.

Insert a standard thermometer (your standard 2$ school laboratory thermometer will work well here) and watch closely for the temperature to rise to the desired point.

When the water reaches 55 degrees, turn off the heat, but let the bowl continue to sit ion the hot water pot. Wait 5 minutes with the egg water at 55 degrees, and your eggs have been pasteurized, and are bacteria free.

Add a bit of cold water (too make it a little easier on your hands), and then drain off all the egg water, using your hand as a strainer, to keep the egg yolks in the bowl. Use right away for mayonnaise, or refrigerate until needed.

Mayonnaise made with these eggs, and then stored in the fridge will be completely safe, but incorrect storage of any mayonnaise can allow for the growth of new bacteria.

Microwave: (Source: About.com)
Quote:

How To Make Pasteurized Eggs

IMPORTANT: You'll need no fewer than three clean whisks on hand to use this procedure. (Clean forks are OK, too.)
Difficulty: Average
Time Required: 5 minutes
Here's How:

1. Separate two eggs and collect the yolks in a microwave-safe glass bowl. Whisk the yolks thoroughly using the first of your three clean whisks.
2. Add 1 Tbsp lemon juice and whisk again.
3. Add 2 Tbsp water and whisk again. Seal bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the microwave.

NOTE: The current whisk should be set aside now. You'll need to have the next two ready to go in quick succession.
4. Heat the egg mixture on high until the surface begins to rise. Once you see this, cook for 8 more seconds, then immediately remove the bowl from the microwave, remove the plastic wrap and whisk the yolks vigorously with a clean whisk.
5. Immediately return the bowl to the microwave and heat on high again until the surface begins to rise. Continue for 8 more seconds, them remove and whisk vigorously with another clean whisk until the mixture is smooth and creamy.

These egg yolks are now safe to use in mayonnaise or other raw-egg preparations.

Tips:

1. You can increase the number of yolks to three. Just increase the cooking times to 10 seconds from the moment the surface of the eggs starts to rise.
2. Three whisks (or forks) are absolutely essential. Don't try to wash and dry the same whisk and re-use it. It'll take too long and the temperature of the eggs will fall too fast. And by no means should you use an unwashed whisk for the second or third whiskings. You'll just be contaminating the egg mixture.

If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Opinion: Home-pasteurised eggs? labradors In an old (2002) thr...
Interesting info, labs....thanx.

That is one thing I don't think I have ever made--homemade mayo. That Hellman's reduced fat stuff is fairly easy...
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy

Re: Opinion: Home-pasteurised eggs? Roxanne 21 Interesting info, la...
that is interesting - especially for anyone concerned with this problem. I have not tried this.

At this point (retired & out of commercial kitchens), not sure if it's age, cooking preferences, obstinacy or what, but I haven't let this be a concern.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Opinion: Home-pasteurised eggs? cjs that is interesting ...
A few years ago, I inquired about the use of raw eggs on "that other forum" and it sparked an interesting discussion and varying opinions. One of the chefs told me that she was less concerned with using a raw egg than she was with the cleanliness of the shell itself.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Opinion: Home-pasteurised eggs? cjs that is interesting ...
I agree Jean, I have never let this be a concern. But, it is something to consider. I have purchased pastuerized eggs from the store for salad dressings and such when having guests. But when it's just us, I don't bother.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
Opinion: Home-pasteurised eggs?