Happy New Year Everyone!

Woohoo!! I'm starting off the new year $361 richer thanks to the lottery pick-3!! That'll put a little dent into the new dishwasher order!!

I'm gearing up to make some French Onion soup again. I made the C@H version in the wee early issues a couple years ago, but after having some of THE best soup at Epcot Center last Feb, I want to try a different recipe for the stock.

I'l looking at ATK's "The Best Recipe" book and thinking of trying that one. Has anyone done this one before? Thoughts?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.

Beef Stock Recipes BarbaraS Happy New Year Every...
Sounds wonderful....and me with my menus planned for the next several days and finding myself craving French Onion Soup now.

I'm not familiar with that method. I have never actually made my own beef stock. That's on my to do list.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
It is a much easier recipe than C@H's and I think it will be good for the soup.

You will not believe this BUT...I have a recipe book Around the World With Mickey...and the soup recipe is in there. Looking at the ingredients though....does not seem to be that appetizing but it must be a winner...they use bouillon cubes (combo of beef and chicken) for the stock.

Have you ever tried Julia Child's recipe?? TO DIE FOR!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy

Re: Beef Stock Recipes Roxanne 21 It is a much easier ...
Quote:

Have you ever tried Julia Child's recipe?? TO DIE FOR!!!!

Okay, I do not own a Julia Child cookbook. But if you say it's worth it, what's the title and I'll go out and get it.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.

Re: Beef Stock Recipes BarbaraS [blockquote]Quote:[h...
%@&*^%$! Lost my post----and I copied before sending...what an annoyance! Anyway,

The book (s) are MASTERING THE ART OF FRENCH COOKING, two volumes. This is a collaboration with Simone Beck and Louisette Bertholle and was originally published in 1961. The tips, techniques and recipes continue to be relevant IMHO

Here is the recipe for the soup

FRENCH ONION SOUP

(SOUPE A L’OIGNON)

The onions for an onion soup need a long, slow cooking in butter and oil, then a long, slow simmering in stock for them to develop the deep, rich flavor which characterizes a perfect brew. You should therefore count on 2 ½ hours at least from start to finish. Though the preliminary cooking in butter requires some watching, the actual simmering can proceed almost unattended.

For 6-8 servings

1 ½ pounds or 5 cups of thinly sliced yellow onions
3 TBS butter
1 TB oil
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp sugar
3 TBS flour
2 quarts boiling brown stock, canned beef bouillon or 1 qt of boiling water and 1 qt of stock or bouillon
½ cup dry white wine or dry vermouth
Salt and pepper to taste
3 TBS cognac
Rounds of hard toasted French bread
1-2 cups grated Swiss or Parmesan cheese

In a heavy bottomed, 4 qt covered saucepan cook the onions slowly with butter and oil for 15 minutes.
Uncover, raise the heat to moderate, and stir in the salt and sugar. Cook for 30-40 minutes stirring frequently, until the onions have turned an even, deep, golden brown.
Sprinkle in the flour and stir for 3 minutes
Off heat, blend in the boiling liquid. Add the wine and season to taste. Simmer partially covered for 30-40 minutes or more, skimming occasionally (if necessary). Correct seasonings.
Set aside uncovered until ready to serve. Then reheat to a simmer.

Just before serving, stir in the cognac. Pour into a soup tureen or soup cups over the rounds of bread, pass the cheese separately.

NOTES:
I tried Billy’s suggestion of slow cooking the onions in the crockpot…placed the onions with the salt and sugar in the pot on low for about four hours----the smells are heavenly!!

Then proceed as directed

I put some of the cheese on the soup and place in the oven to melt and slightly brown the cheese. I also rub garlic over the bread rounds before placing in the bowls.

BON APPETIT!!!!!
Congrats on your win, Barbara! The first time I made french onion soup was about 12 years ago. No real recipe but it looks a lot like the CI recipe I have that uses sherry and thyme. I made my own veal stock, though, (and I remember being outraged that veal bones were 75 cents a pound). That was the best onion soup I have ever had. I did caramalize my onions and deglazed with some stock, time consuming but delicious. I think now they caramalize the onions in the oven. I should try that soon.

Good luck!

PJ
PJ

Re: Beef Stock Recipes pjcooks Congrats on your win...
Okay---I hijacked the post...GEESH

You were asking for a beef stock and I just got carried away with the soup. LOVE that soup!!

Beef stock is a long process but well worth it for meat sauces, braising of meats and vegetables, flavorings for soups and deglazing a roasting pan. I most often turn to the [Email]C@H[/Email] recipe for that. There are a couple of things to remember though for the perfect stock:

NEVER allow the liquid to boil; fat and scum incorporate themselves into the stock and make it cloudy
Cooking may be stopped at any time, and continued later
NEVER cover the kettle airtight unless its contents have cooled completely, the stock will sour.

I always make a huge batch and freeze in 1/2-1 qt containers...it does freeze well, lasts a LONG time and once you make your own stock, you will not go to those canned or boxed items......each stock is different, depending on your ingredients in making. Your dishes will have your unique "touch" and taste!

If anyone needs the [Email]C@H[/Email] recipe, I will post.......or, hint-hint-hint someone can post from the members plus site.....

I think I blabbed enough...........

Re: Beef Stock Recipes Roxanne 21 Okay---I hijacked th...
Barbara, check out the thread "Interesting Primer On Stocks" that I brought back up to the top for you - probably more than you'd ever want to know about stocks.

Julia's French Onion soup is the best ever!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Beef Stock Recipes