Sometimes, one can find the most interesting things in the least likely of places. Yesterday, I was in a store that sells a lot of used, American products, and also happens to have some used books, and I found something that could be a real treasure: a signed, first-edition, second-printing, of the book Alaska Sourdough! Surprisingly enough, I found that the book is actually still in print - not bad for its having been written in 1976, when the author was 71 years old!

[Image: im001368zz1.jpg]

In addition to two starter recipes, the book also has lots of recipes for sourdough breads, hotcakes, waffles, muffins, etc. Here is the first starter recipe (which uses potato water). If any of you are interested in the other starter (which uses grated potatoes), I'll post it later. Likewise for some of the other recipes, within reason.

Quote:

Sourdough Starter

Dump into the sourdough pot:
  • 2 Cups Thick potato water
  • 2 Tbsp. Sugar
  • 2 Cups Flour (more or less)
  • 1/2 Tsp. Yeast (Optional)*
Boil potatoes with jackets on until they fall to pieces. Lift skins out; mash potatoes making a puree. Cool. Add more water to make sufficient liquid, if necessary. Richer the potato water, richer the starter. Put all ingredients in pot. Beat until smooth creamy batter. Cover. Set aside in warm place to start fermentation.

* Use yeast only to speed action.

Unfortunately, the book does NOT address the mold problem I had with my last attempt at sourdough, but I did, eventually, find one suggestion that will probably help: before making the sourdough, when cleaning the jar in which you will be making it, use a little chlorine bleach to kill anything that may be on the inside surface of the jar, but make sure it is well rinsed and dried after doing that, so you don't interfere with the sourdough's process. We'll see: I'll be trying again very soon.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Sourdough revisited - and a surprise find! labradors Sometimes, one can f...
You find the neatest things, labs!! And the article is interesting. I haven't used potato water before...or even read about it.

Love sourdough...the history is fascinating. Hmmm...must start the starter
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy

Re: Sourdough revisited - and a surprise find! Roxanne 21 You find the neatest...
I have murdered every starter which I have ever had. I wonder if this one would be a little more... resilient... ??? And no problem with mold in my unheated kitchen in the winter! I think I'll try it. Thanks, Labs!!!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com

Re: Sourdough revisited - and a surprise find! foodfiend I have murdered ever...
I always boil my jars for canning for 15 minutes. I wonder if that would work.

Re: Sourdough revisited - and a surprise find! DFen911 I always boil my jar...
That sounds like a good idea, too. Always associate that with canning - never thought of it for sourdough jars. Thanks.

Re: Sourdough revisited - and a surprise find! labradors That sounds like a g...
Oh lucky you! I used to have the red copy like you have - it got lost in the fracas when I left my ex. I found another copy and just love it. It's probably the absolute best sourdough cookbook out there.

I think Denise's suggestion is far better that the clorox in the jar. I always wash mine in the dishwasher. Good luck with the second go round. I think I'll take mine out of hibernation tomorrow. Some good sourdough pancakes sound really good (and her recipe is GREAT!)
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Sourdough revisited - and a surprise find! Harborwitch Oh lucky you! I use...
Thanks, Sharon. It's good to know someone who has used the same book, especially when I haven't tried it, yet.

Re: Sourdough revisited - and a surprise find! labradors Thanks, Sharon. It'...
You're going to love it!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Sourdough revisited - and a surprise find! Harborwitch You're going to love...
I second that, Rob. You are going to love that book! My mom brought that book back from Alaska about 20 years ago and gave it to me as a souvenier. It has always been one of my favorite books and I have used the starter recipes many times.

Thanks for bringing this up. Time to get a starter going again, it's been a while. The pancakes are wonderful, be sure to try them!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Sourdough revisited - and a surprise find!