Now here's an odd question!

I needed an undetermined amount of candy canes to crush for use in a Christmas cookie recipe (the recipe called for peppermint candies but I figured that the canes would be easier to crush). I bought a container at Sam's, where practically everything is industrial-sized. I bought 600 mini candy canes, and used less than a quarter of them! So, after using some to decorate gifts, and tucking a bunch into cookie trays, I still have about 350 remaining.

I don't want to throw them away, so could I freeze them until next year? Or will they just get sticky as they thaw? And if so, would I freeze "as is" (in cellophane wrappers) or should I crush them first?

See, I told you that this was an odd question!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com

Freezing candy canes? foodfiend Now here's an odd qu...
Sorry Vicci, I haven't got a clue. I do know they make great throat lozenges during the winter months and are great in tea and hot cocoa. I use my leftovers at school for the kids when they have the sniffles or a bad cough, but I've never had that many to deal with. Beyond that...I'm no help at all.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Freezing candy canes? Gourmet_Mom Sorry Vicci, I haven...
Me either - no experience with freezing any kind of candy.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Freezing candy canes? cjs Me either - no exper...
No help here either... If you want to keep them, I would suggest storing them in a cool dry place. If they're not good to eat when you get them back out, you could still use them as decorations.

That's the problem with buying the institutional size lots! The savings is lost if you can't use it all up.
If each cane is still wrapped it works. I stuck them in a freezer bag, rolled out all the air and popped them in the freezer. Then I forgot to put them on the tree again this year. But they appear to be fine.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
I found this answer at the Spanger Candy Company website. Here is a link:

http://www.spanglercandy.com/spangler/ne...chfaqs.php

Quote:

Q: What is the best way to store candy canes for next Christmas? Can I freeze them?

A: The best way to store hard candy for a length of time is to place it in a zip lock bag and store in a dry place. Do not store candies in the freezer or refrigerator, as the moisture is too high.

"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Re: Freezing candy canes? luvnit I found this answer ...
Quote:

A: The best way to store hard candy for a length of time is to place it in a zip lock bag and store in a dry place. Do not store candies in the freezer or refrigerator, as the moisture is too high.

I guessed correctly!

Re: Freezing candy canes? HomeCulinarian [blockquote]Quote:[h...
Thanks, everyone!

Daphne, great idea to add one to a mug of hot tea or cocoa! I'll see how many I have left, then, in the spring...

...at which time I will store them following the info which Laura found.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
Freezing candy canes?