Man, this was a fun and tasty dinner - Jacques Pepin's family favorite.

We started with a dip from Food & Wine magazine (plus a smoked salmon spread) that was wonderful and I'm thinking the leftovers would be good mixed with some hot pasta. It's really garlicky, so you have to like garlic! (By the way, if I see Grace Parisi's name on a recipe in that magazine I automatically save it -her tastes run the same as mine)

* Exported from MasterCook *

White Bean Dip with Herbs

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves -- very finely chopped
1 teaspoon finely chopped sage
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
Two 19-ounce cans cannellini beans -- drained
2 tablespoons water
Salt
Cayenne pepper
Pita chips -- for serving

In a medium skillet, heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil until shimmering. Add the garlic, sage and rosemary and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until fragrant and the garlic is just beginning to brown, about 1 minute. Add the beans and toss to coat.

Transfer the cannellini beans to a food processor. Add the water, season with salt and cayenne and process to a fairly smooth puree. Transfer the dip to a small serving bowl, drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil on top and serve with pita chips.

Notes

Drizzling a high quality olive oil over this dip will add depth and complexity, but stick with a less-expensive supermarket brand when sautéing the garlic and herbs in Step 1.

Any canned white beans can be used in place of the cannellini.

Search for easy-to-find tangy, crisp vernaccia di san gimignano

Description:
"Recipe by Grace Parisi"

------

then we had the beet & corn salad (posted the recipe a couple weeks ago). Forgot to take a picture last night, so plated it again this a.m., but of course the beets and corn had melded together a little too much, but still tastes good!

[Image: BeetCornSalad1.jpg]

Then on to Jacques' dinner - oh my it was so good and I must have had THREE 'old' Germans at the table because they all three loaded their plates twice.

[Image: ChoucrouteGarnie.jpg]

Choucroute Garnie

1/3 cup kosher salt -- plus more for seasoning
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
3 pounds pork back ribs or baby back ribs -- cut into 3 sections
6 pounds sauerkraut (in plastic bags) -- drained
1/4 cup duck or goose fat or peanut oil
1 large onion -- coarsely chopped
4 large garlic cloves -- coarsely chopped
20 juniper berries
3 large bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups Riesling or Pinot Gris
2 pounds Polish kielbasa -- skinned and cut into 2-inch pieces
10 skinless hot dogs
One 2-pound piece of boneless boiled ham (3 to 4 inches wide) -- sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 pounds medium potatoes (about 10) -- peeled
Assorted mustards -- for serving

In a large, sturdy, resealable plastic bag, combine the 1/3 cup of kosher salt with the sugar. Add the pork ribs; shake well to thoroughly coat the ribs with the seasonings. Seal the bag and refrigerate the ribs overnight or for up to 24 hours.

The next day, preheat the oven to 300°. Rinse the sauerkraut in cold water and squeeze dry. Set a large roasting pan over 2 burners on high heat and melt the duck fat. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened, about 7 minutes.

Stir in the sauerkraut, juniper berries, bay leaves, caraway seeds, black pepper, stock and wine and bring to a rolling boil over high heat.

Meanwhile, rinse the pork ribs under cold water and pat dry. Nestle the pork ribs in the sauerkraut and bring back to a boil over moderately high heat. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 1/2 hours.

Remove the pork ribs from the sauerkraut. Cut down in between the ribs. Return the ribs to the sauerkraut and nestle in the kielbasa, hot dogs and ham. Cover and bake until the meats are hot, about 25 minutes. Discard the bay leaves.

Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cover the potatoes with cold water, add salt and bring to a boil over high heat; cook the potatoes until tender when pierced. Drain the potatoes and cover to keep warm.

To serve, mound the hot sauerkraut in the center of very hot dinner plates and partially tuck in the pork ribs and the kielbasa. Arrange the hot dogs and ham around the sauerkraut. Alternatively, pile the sauerkraut on a large heated platter and garnish with the meats. Serve the choucroute with the boiled potatoes and assorted mustards.

Make Ahead

The choucroute can be prepared through Step 3 and refrigerated for 3 days. Reheat before proceeding.

Wine

In Alsace, choucroute's traditional wine partner is either a rich, spicy Gewürztraminer or a bone-dry, crisp Riesling. However, an Alsace Gewürztraminer can actually overpower choucroute's spicy, herby flavors and make the dish taste sweet. A better match is an Alsace Ries­-ling, which is delicately floral with an acidity that matches the sauerkraut and balances the richness of the pork. Josmeyer's structured 2004 Le Kottabe Alsace Riesling is a great choice.

Description:
"by Jacques Pépin Families in Alsace generally eat choucroute garnie during the wintertime, because it's such a hearty, filling dish. I've adapted the recipe to make it quicker and easier-calling for store-bought sauerkraut instead of the homemade kind. I always serve two or three types of mustard with the choucroute - a hot Dijon, a grainy Pommery and often a tarragon-flavored mustard as well."

----

and one of the guests insisted he wanted to bring his chocoate Pot de Creme, so I 'allowed'
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Choucroute Garnie Dinner cjs Man, this was a fun ...
Goodness that looks good! My Father's Father came from Alsace which must be why I adore food like this. Yum!

What thread is that beet and corn salad hid in?????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Choucroute Garnie Dinner Harborwitch Goodness that looks ...
Well, hell, Sharon I just did a search and can't find it, maybe I didn't... here it is. And it was excellent with the Alsace Riesling also.

Beet and Corn Salad

DRESSING:
2 fluid ounces fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
salt and pepper -- to taste
4 fluid ounces extra virgin olive oil
4 fluid ounces corn oil

1 pound beets -- small, red, gold or candy stripe
salt -- to taste
6 ears of corn -- silk removed
1 green onion -- minced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
4 ounces goat cheese -- crumbled
black pepper -- to taste
1 bunch arugula

To make the dressing, whisk together the lime juice, sugar, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the oils to emulsify.

Boil the beets in salted water until tender, approximately 15 minutes. Drain, cool, peel, dice and reserve.

Boil the ears of corn in salted water until tender, approximately 3 minutes. Drain, cool, cut the kernels from the cobs and reserve.

In a stainless steel bowl, mix together the beets, corn, green onion, cilantro and goat cheese. Toss with the dressing and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Garnish with the arugula and serve.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Primitivo Wine Bar
Colorado Springs, CO
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Choucroute Garnie Dinner cjs Well, hell, Sharon I...
Thank you so much - it looks and sounds beautiful!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Choucroute Garnie Dinner Harborwitch Thank you so much - ...
Jean, when you mentioned this dinner, I looked up the recipe and found it online. I showed it to William. There was a picture, but not as good as yours, but the list of ingredients got William's attention. I have a feeling this one may be in my future. I'm not a big fan of sauerkraut, but I'll persevere for him. He LOVES it so!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Choucroute Garnie Dinner cjs Man, this was a fun ...
WOW! That looks amazing. I love your little mustard dishes too. I have a couple of those myself. I wish we all could have been there.

But then there wouldn't have been enough!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Re: Choucroute Garnie Dinner luvnit WOW! That looks ama...
'I wish we all could have been there.' I wish that too!

Since I didn't make spaetzle for that crowd, I'm making them for Roy's leftovers. I like saurkrauts better than spaetzle.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Choucroute Garnie Dinner cjs 'I wish we all cou...
Thanks, Jean. Great picture!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Choucroute Garnie Dinner Lorraine Thanks, Jean. Great...
Nice looking dish, Jean. I did something similar to that for New Years once and Ron loved it. Only difference, he has to have his sauerkraut on top of a pile of mashed potatoes.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Choucroute Garnie Dinner Mare749 Nice looking dish, J...
"his sauerkraut on top of a pile of mashed potatoes."

how funny, and Roy 'needs' his on spaetzle.
www.achefsjourney.com
Choucroute Garnie Dinner