Every once in a while either my ham & bean or split pea soup turns out thinner than I like. And that happened with my last batch of split pea - most of it, I just served in cups and we were happy. But night before last I wanted something more substantial.

I purred (well really, I pureed ) a can of butter beans in the food processor and added to the soup - what a great texture they gave the soup instantly and the flavor was great!

So, I played again last night with some more - had a container (about 1 - 1 1/2 cups) of baked lima beans with some kind of BBQ sauce (can't remember) that I pureed and added to the soup. Wow, what a wonderful flavor.

So, just thought I'd pass along the idea that too thin soup is really not such a bad thing - just makes us play a little more. For what it's worth.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Soup That is Too Thin cjs Every once in a whil...
Great idea about the butter beans! I never thought of that. I bet it would work with any soup OR stew.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
That is a good idea. I'd probably never get them into the soup, I love butter beans and have been known to eat them right out of the can

PJ
PJ

Re: Soup That is Too Thin pjcooks That is a good idea....
You can also keep refried beans handy, does a great job of thickening up a loose stock and adding depth.
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
Good idea Jean. Every once in a while that happens to me too. I will keep that in mind!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Re: Soup That is Too Thin luvnit Good idea Jean. Eve...
What a great idea, Jean. Never thought of that. Have used mashed potatoes, but a can of beans would be tastier.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Soup That is Too Thin Mare749 What a great idea, J...
I probably wouldn't have thought about it, but my white turkey/chicken chili, I mash two of the cans of white beans to make a thick base and leave the third can whole for the whole bean texture. It is great.

I haven't made that is a while - I think I may just need to make it this next week. Should have some leftover chicken from beer can chicken tonight.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.

Re: Soup That is Too Thin esgunn I probably wouldn't ...
That's a great idea, and also adds fiber to the recipe.

Re: Soup That is Too Thin HomeCulinarian That's a great idea,...
"also adds fiber to the recipe." - ...and we getting of an age, aren't we?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Soup That is Too Thin cjs "also adds fiber to ...
Quote:

"also adds fiber to the recipe." - ...and we getting of an age, aren't we?

'tis true.
Soup That is Too Thin