I made some pork chops from a recipe I found on the internet(first mistake). It had me brine the chops in buttermilk and salt. After defrosting the chops in the brine for about 24 hours, I rinsed and dried them. I then breaded and baked them. I did not add more salt. They came out so salty, we could hardly eat them, in fact, did not eat all of it. Is there any way to save this meat? I was thinking of grinding it and making a meat pie or something. Any ideas so the meat does not go to waste??
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!

Advice needed chef_Tab I made some pork cho...
As for what to do with it, I'll have to think on it. It would definitely have to go in something saucy, that's not had salt added.

As for your brine, I'd be curious how much salt it called for. Mine calls for 2 T per quart of buttermilk and also has sugar and green onions. Also, considering the thickness of a pork chop, I'd think 24 hours would be too long.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Advice needed Gourmet_Mom As for what to do wi...
Daphne, it was 3 cups of buttermilk and 2/3 cup kosher salt. The recipe called for overnight brining. I did put the meat in before going to bed and did not cook until dinner tonight. I figured that since the meat was frozen, the extra time might be needed.
Theresa

Re: Advice needed chef_Tab Daphne, it was 3 cup...
Grind it up--weigh it- brown twice as much beef chili grind meat with no salt-- mix with the ground pork and then use a chili recipe to make a fine pot of chili! If you need a chili recipe let me know.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Advice needed chef_Tab Daphne, it was 3 cup...
The 3 cups buttermilk to 2/3 cup salt is probably the culprit. Even the one I got from Jean only has 1/4 cup salt to a quart of water, along with some sugar and brown sugar.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Advice needed chef_Tab I made some pork cho...
Theresa, I've also found the end result of brining is a way too salty end product. I just did a little pork roast in a maple brine, will let you know how it turns out. I cut down on the salt by half.

PJ
PJ

Re: Advice needed pjcooks Theresa, I've also f...
I'd say too much salt and too much time! I like Bill's idea for turning it in to chili.

Re: Advice needed HomeCulinarian I'd say too much sal...
I may try making it into a filling for empanadas. Thanks everyone for your input and ideas. It is such a bummer to make a meal and it barely be edible. At least we had some pineapple crisp to help erase that taste!
Theresa

Re: Advice needed chef_Tab I may try making it ...
Wow, that's a lot of salt - that's too bad when that happens. Chili or spiced up empanadas sound good to me also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Advice needed cjs Wow, that's a lot of...
I guess I agree with Bill too. But my first thought before I saw his answer was soup! Actually I thought of that recipe in the C@H Soups book. It think it was Winter Pork Soup.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
Advice needed