How long does it last? Lol I have no idea why I don't know this. I made some back in January for a dinner party and it's still in my fridge and I'd to use it tonight with dinner.

It was balsamic vinegar, some beef stock, herbs and cooked for about 2 hours.

Thanks

balsamic reduction.. DFen911 How long does it las...
If it was wine, I'd say yes, but with the beef stock, I'm not sure. I'm trying to think how long I have safely held beef stock in the fridge. I'd say at least two months. But I'm always a chicken about food safety, as you well know...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: balsamic reduction.. Gourmet_Mom If it was wine, I'd ...
Denise, I keep my reductions for a long time. I'm saying it's fine.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: balsamic reduction.. cjs Denise, I keep my re...
Ok works for me

Re: balsamic reduction.. DFen911 Ok works for me [img...
Well, they sell ready-made products such as "Demi-Glace Gold," and that's about as reduced as you can get; plus, you've got the acid of the balsamic helping out.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: balsamic reduction.. labradors Well, they sell read...
Funny you should mention that Labs. I pulled out my Premier issue last night to make the Merlot Sauce for the individual Beef Wellingtons and that product was mentioned to be used in place of the beef stock in the recipe, which came out very well, btw. Hubby was impressed. But I think the amount of arrowroot is wrong. I only used about a tbs of the arrowroot mixed with water, and it came out very thick. I would also recommend adding the extra TBS of merlot and butter just before serving, so as not to lose the extra flavor.

Merlot Sauce (serves 4)

Work time: 15minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes

Saute:
1 T olive oil
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 cup chopped onions

Add:
2 T tomato paste
1 t fresh garlic minced

Deglaze with:
1/2 cup Merlot wine
1 bay leaf

Add:
1 1/2 cup beef stock

Thicken with:
2 T. arrowroot dissolved in 1 T water

Add for flavor/richness:
Salt and pepper to taste
1 T Merlot wine
1 T cold unsalted butter

Saute the mushrooms and onions in the olive oil until caramelized. Add garlic and paste. Cook until dark (3 minutes).

Deglaze the saute pan with 1/2 cup Merlot. Reduce until half the the liquid is evaporated.

Add beef stock and seasonings. Simmer 3 minutes. Then strain through a cheesecloth or fine sieve. Pour sauce back into the pan.

Add 1 1/2 tsp (be careful here) of arrowroot solution. Stir over medium heat until it thickens. Add 1 T each of Merlot and butter for flavor.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
balsamic reduction..