Well we went to the wine & appetizer event at a nearby winery. We went last year too - that time they had a professional caterer do the food (and I think I whined about it here).

One of the gal's that works there in the tasting room has a son who is a "professional chef" and he was doing the appetizers tonight with assistance from his fiance, someone else, and his mother.

All I can say is that I have got to get off my butt! The first appy was a date stuffed with what was billed as "blue cheese" wrapped in bacon, broiled and served with a honey sauce. I'd have killed for some pepper jelly, balsamic glaze or anything but the honey sauce.

Second was a smoked salmon "crudite" - a cracker, a slice of cucumber, and a squiggle of some kind of gluey sweet "smoked salmon" stuff.

Next we had (after waiting in line for 30 minutes) lovely giant prawns "poached in a chili lime broth". Salting the "broth" (?????) might have helped. The cocktail sauce was from a bottle and ran out long before the prawns.

Next in line were the "meatballs in Maderia wine sauce". Okay, Costco meatballs (been known to use them myself) in a nice sauce - the meatballs were dumped into the hotel pan, the sauce was dumped on top and a half hearted attempt was made to stir them. They were served in a chafing dish with a sterno can - and they were COLD.

The final "course" was supposed to be fillet on a baguette with a garlic sauce. Didn't happen.

An hour before the event ended someone ran out and got some frozen pizzas and some crackers that they squirted some more of the salmon on.

The wines were wonderful - but not matched to anything. By the time we got to the food table we'd moved from the Chardonnay and Riesling (both wonderful wines - details later) and were drinking Zin. The fillet was supposed to go with a wonderful Temperanillo but the people pouring were just pouring. We never got to try the pinot noir, but the Syrah was very good.

Jean, someone, kick me in the tail. (Passed the "pre-test" for my ServSafe the other day now I just have to find a proctor and take the final test! Then a business license and liability insurance and I'm gonna be on my way.

Sorry for the rant - but at 30 bucks for the two of us it was a sorry deal, and I'm afraid they knew it - they started offering discounts on top of discounts.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Professional chef???? Harborwitch Well we went to the ...
I would pay to come to one of your events! I love your pride and arrogance. You are one of the fine folks on this forum!! Get that license, now!!! (And liability insurance).
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".

Re: Professional chef???? Old Bay I would pay to come ...
Thank you - those are two qualities that I have never been complimented on before.

We are looking forward to you and Jane visiting soon. We will feed you well, give you a grand tour, make sure that you are both completely stuffed, well wined and dined, and covered in Pug fur.

Sad thing is that we gave up the Asparagus Festival, a known sure bet of a dinner, and a few other things to go to this event.

Re: Professional chef???? Harborwitch Thank you - those ar...
We will bring you a jar of Jane's pickled asparagus and share it over a batch of "bloody bulls", and with your hospitality and our company--you won't miss the festival!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".

Re: Professional chef???? Old Bay We will bring you a ...
I know what you were feeling, Sharon - it's so disappointing when a 'do' like that doesn't follow thru with some well thought out and prepped foods with the wines.

For an event like the winery tastings, I would just mention to keep in the back of your mind to type up the recipes you are offering and if the winery/host carries cheeses or whatever product you can use in your foods - attach the recipe to the product in the cooler and showcase the product and recipe on your table also.

The cheeses I used last weekend flew out the door and we ran out really early, so I ended up just giving out the recipes on Sunday. Sara, winery owner, made mention that next time she would allow her cheese man to stock up before an event - she missed so many sales.

Go get um, Sharon and it's so darn much fun! One more suggestion, talk to the wineries where I know they are at least familiar with you and tell them you are playing with food and wine matching and when (not if!!) would someone be available for you to bring a few samples in to play with their wines. Wineries love that.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Professional chef???? cjs I know what you were...
Thank you Jean. I find myself this morning feeling rather sorry for him - poor kid. He never even came out of the kitchen until the very end of the evening! No one got to meet him - and he certainly didn't look happy.

The Riverbank Wine & Cheese Festival is coming up and that might be a nice chance to meet some of the winery owners that are in the immediate area.

Well Bob has my coffee waiting for me - must go wake up!

Re: Professional chef???? Harborwitch Thank you Jean. I f...
Sharon!!! Go see some of the wineries right now and talk to them about sampling for maybe this event or another coming up - get your foot in the door quickly!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Professional chef???? cjs Sharon!!! Go see som...
Thank you for the butt kicking! Will do.
  Re: Professional chef???? Old Bay We will bring you a ...
We are looking forward to your visit! Bloody Bulls it will be - and some brisket from the smoker???? Just give us a few days notice!

Re: Professional chef???? Harborwitch We are looking forwa...
Good luck Sharon...you know I'm watching and taking notes! Go get 'em!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Professional chef????