I'm taking the easy way out or I'm just getting old!! We'll be working on the greenhouse, so we're going out to a local Mexican place and just relax with some Margaritas.

What are you young ones cooking up??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Cinco de Mayo Dinner Plans?? cjs I'm taking the easy ...
Nothing Mexican here either. I think my husband is going to a hockey game so I'm just planning on making us something quick - french dip sandwiches.

Re: Cinco de Mayo Dinner Plans?? Trixxee Nothing Mexican here...
It depends on if I have to go into Pittsburgh tomorrow or not.

If I'm home, I'd like to try an interesting picadillo recipe which I found on a cooking blog last week, and use it in empanadas. But I'll cheat and use frozen pizza dough instead of making the more traditional pastry-like dough.

(Trixxee, is DH off to a hockey playoff game, perchance???)
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com

Re: Cinco de Mayo Dinner Plans?? foodfiend It depends on if I h...
Going on vacation starting Thursday... We'll be winding down the leftovers until then.
  Re: Cinco de Mayo Dinner Plans?? foodfiend It depends on if I h...
Quote:

(Trixxee, is DH off to a hockey playoff game, perchance???)

Of course! My husband is a huge Anaheim Ducks fan. My friend's husband has season tickets and he's hoping to be invited. I'm hoping he's invited. I can't take the um, "enthusiasm" after yesterday's 4 1/2 hour game.

Re: Cinco de Mayo Dinner Plans?? Trixxee [blockquote]Quote:[h...
Probably something quick and easy since I'm the only one here.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Re: Cinco de Mayo Dinner Plans?? bjcotton Probably something q...
I had not even given it a thought, but the empanadas sound good. I made some from C@H a while back, I need to find that recipe again. Stupid me did not put it into MC and hubby really loved them.

And I have to mention, "GO REDWINGS!!!!!" ...... sorry, Trixxee.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!

Re: Cinco de Mayo Dinner Plans?? chef_Tab I had not even given...
Theresa, when I was getting together birthday menus I typed this into MasterCook for consideration. Although it didn't make the final cut, it was still printed and put into the "short-term to-try" binder... Is this the one you need?

* Exported from MasterCook *

Turkey Empanadas with Mushrooms and Mole

6 servings

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup minced onion
1/4 cup minced garlic
2 teaspoons ground fennel
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
8 ounces ground turkey breast
2 cups shiitake mushrooms -- sliced
2 tablespooons Mexican chocolate -- chopped (can sub 2 tablespoons of semisweet chocolate, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, drop of almond extract, drop of vanilla extract)
1/3 cup dry sherry
15 ounces hominy
1 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup green olives -- pitted, chopped

Filling

Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet and saute the bell pepper, onion, garlic, and spices for 3 minutes. Crumble in the ground turkey and stir until browned. Add mushrooms, chocolate, and sherry and continue to cook and stir until the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, add hominy and olives and set aside.

Preheat the oven to 400F.

Dough

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
1 teas kosher salt
1/2 teas sugar
1/3 cup cold water
1 egg

1 egg beaten w/ 1 T water to brush tops
1/4 cup raw pepitas, chopped
paprika
kosher salt

Pulse the flour, butter, sugar, and salt in a food processor until crumbly. Add 1/3 cup cold water and egg and pulse until the dough forms a ball.

Divide dough into 6 balls and roll each, on a floured surface, into a 7" disk.

Line a baking sheet with parchment. Divide filling between the circles, about 1/2 cup in the center of each. Brush the edges with water-moistened fingers, fold the empanada over into a half-circle, trim edges if necessary, and use a fork to seal. Using a wide spatula, transfer the empanadas to the parchment-lined sheet. Brush the tops with the beaten egg and water mixture, then sprinkle with the pepitas; dust with salt and paprika.

Bake until golden, about 30 minutes.

Source:
"CAH Issue #64"

NOTES : Um, only 1 empanada per serving??? Really????

and, I must add,

GO PENS!!!!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com

Re: Cinco de Mayo Dinner Plans?? foodfiend Theresa, when I was ...
Since Mexican cuisine is not one that I've learned to cook yet, we will most likely go out to one of our local Mexican places for dinner, and it will probably be Abuelos, where we met Jim and Cis. They make a pretty good margarita.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Cinco de Mayo Dinner Plans?? foodfiend Theresa, when I was ...
I don't think that is the one, though this one looks good too. Thanks so much for posting it. And no, one empanada is not enough! The ingredients look familiar, except for the chocolate, I wonder if I just left that out. Though it does not sound like something I would do.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
Cinco de Mayo Dinner Plans??