Made this delicious dish last night (Weeknight Menus Vol.2, pg. 61). Changes I made: cut down on the red pepper flakes and served it atop brown rice. Changes I would make next time: definitely remove the shrimp tails prior to cooking. Leaving them on provided quite a challenge to eat without a mess since they have a sauce on them and they are slippery suckers! And take care to cut the mango in larger chunks than you'd think. They could fall apart too much otherwise.

Looked just like the picture! I'd go as far to say it's a 9.

REVIEW: Salt and Pepper Shrimp w/Mango Sauce Trixxee Made this delicious ...
how did I miss dogearing that page - those look good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: REVIEW: Salt and Pepper Shrimp w/Mango Sauce cjs how did I miss dogea...
Wanted to add - my friend had a hard time finding jarred mango. I found it at my regular grocery store in the refrigerated pre-packaged produce section. I think Del Monte was the brand.
  Re: REVIEW: Salt and Pepper Shrimp w/Mango Sauce cjs how did I miss dogea...
I went to the bookshelf and picked up my copy of Weeknight Menus, crossed my fingers, and... darn! I must have volume 1 (although the crusted snapper on page 61 looked good enough to mark for later this week). IF anyone has the time to do so, and no hurry, could you please (pretty please?!?!) post this recipe?

And, Trixxee, would I be able to use fresh mango?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com

Re: REVIEW: Salt and Pepper Shrimp w/Mango Sauce foodfiend I went to the booksh...
"And, Trixxee, would I be able to use fresh mango? " - I didn't notice it wasn't fresh mango. I would go with the fresh myself.

If no one else posts the recipe before, I will do it tomorrow a.m. for you.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: REVIEW: Salt and Pepper Shrimp w/Mango Sauce cjs "And, Trixxee, would...
I'd be glad to type it out after I pick my son up from school today! I think you could definitely use fresh, you'd just have to come up with a 1/2 cup of liquid to replace the 1/2 cup of juice the jarred mango comes in to deglaze the pan with.

Re: REVIEW: Salt and Pepper Shrimp w/Mango Sauce Trixxee I'd be glad to type ...
Thanks for the great review! I will have to add this to my wish list. Sounds great, what's not to love?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!

Re: REVIEW: Salt and Pepper Shrimp w/Mango Sauce chef_Tab Thanks for the great...
O.K., I'll let you type it up, Trixxee -

I would think with a nice ripe mango with all that flavor, we could deglaze with white wine or chix stock (I have little cans of pineapple juice, I could use also.)
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: REVIEW: Salt and Pepper Shrimp w/Mango Sauce Trixxee I'd be glad to type ...
Quote:

I'd be glad to type it out after I pick my son up from school today!

Thank you in advance!

I have a recipe for a BBQ sauce using mango nectar which I was going to make in the near future-- I could just hold out a half cup from that recipe for this one.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com

Re: REVIEW: Salt and Pepper Shrimp w/Mango Sauce foodfiend [blockquote]Quote:[h...
Salt & Pepper Shrimp with Mango Sauce

Fry in 1" Peanut Oil; Season:
8 egg roll wrappers, cut into strips
Salt to taste

Combine:
1 T. garlic, minced
1 T. sesame seeds, toasted
1 t. kosher salt
1 t. black pepper
1 t. red pepper flakes

Toss Together and fry in 3 T. peanut oil; stir in:
20 large shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails left on (1 lb.)
1/4 cup cornstarch
Garlic mixture

Deglaze with; Stir in:
1/2 cup juice from a jar of mangoes
Juice of 1/2 lime
1 cup jarred mango, chopped
1 cup scallions, cut on the bias into 1" pieces

Fry wontons in oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook in batches until light brown and crisp, about 1 minute. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt; fry remaining strips. Pour off oil and wipe out skillet.

Combine garlic, sesame seeds, salt, pepper and pepper flakes in a dish.

Toss shrimp with cornstarch. Heat 3 T. oil in the skillet over medium-high, add shrimp, and stir fry 2-3 minutes per side. Stir garlic mixture into shrimp and cook one minute.

Deglaze with mango juice and lime juice and bring to a simmer. Stir in mango and scallions, cooking to just warm mango. To serve, divide wontons between four plates and top each mango mixture and 5 shrimp.
REVIEW: Salt and Pepper Shrimp w/Mango Sauce