C@H's newsletter offered up three tips for working with kebobs and one of them was a WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT moment for me. The other two (double skewers and cover with foil) I already do, but this one is a great suggestion -

"Three Skewering Tips
Time Saver
When you’re ready to get grilling, the last thing you want to do is wait around for wooden skewers to soak in water for 30 minutes. To alleviate this problem, pre-soak a handful of skewers in water. Place the soaked skewers in a plastic bag and then freeze them. The next time you want to grill a kebab, pull out a few frozen skewers and thread them with food, then place the kebabs directly on the grill."
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

What a Good Idea!! cjs [url=mailto:C@H's]C@...
Well, duh! Doesn't that make sense. About half the time, I forget until the last minute to soak my skewers, so this will help tremendously. Thanks for sharing. I've got to catch up with my Plate and C@H emails.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: What a Good Idea!! Gourmet_Mom Well, duh! Doesn't ...
That is a good idea. Now, if I put them in the freezer, would I remember they where they were? No, I would probably think I didn't have any skewers and buy some more!

Re: What a Good Idea!! HomeCulinarian That is a good idea....
I'm going to try this, (I didn't read all the way through the email) although I, too, will probably forget they are in there. Maybe not, though, I've been working through my freezer and I'm almost there, and I'm determined not to fill it with junk again. (Even though Picky loves the thought of the chourico from the Portuguese butcher shop, he doesn't actually love the chourico itself. Time to get rid of the 5 pounds his brother brought us at Christmas...)

PJ
PJ

Re: What a Good Idea!! pjcooks I'm going to try thi...
Speaking of the skewers, I use metal ones. Is this a no-no? And just because I am thinking of grilling.....I only see two grilling cookbooks on the website, but I have one that is not pictured. I think this is the reason I was confused by Jeanette talking about vol.2 and I mistakenly thought I had it.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!

Re: What a Good Idea!! chef_Tab Speaking of the skew...
I guess I call it Grilling II because it is the second Grilling book from CAH. Sorry to confuse you!

Re: What a Good Idea!! HomeCulinarian I guess I call it Gr...
Jeanette, you did not confuse me! C@H calls it volume 2 as well. What confuses me is that I seem to have one that they don't have on the website, so I don't know what it is called!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!

Re: What a Good Idea!! chef_Tab Jeanette, you did no...
It is a great idea. And I just happen to have a box of 1000 skewers. Not sure what possessed me to buy that many.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: What a Good Idea!! Lorraine It is a great idea. ...
Quote:

It is a great idea. And I just happen to have a box of 1000 skewers. Not sure what possessed me to buy that many.

I did the same thing once, Lorraine, but it was with something a lot less useful. I thought it would be fun to buy some little umbrellas for cocktails and I suppose it was fun once....but now I'm stuck with a whole box full.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: What a Good Idea!! Mare749 [blockquote]Quote:[h...
A hundred drink umbrellas??? REALLY?? Now that's what I call wishful thinking!
What a Good Idea!!