I'm trying to eat a little healthier these days and actually really enjoy veggie burgers. But, it's nice to switch it up once in a while. So, if you have a favorite recipe, I would sure appreciate it. Here is one that I have used from weight watchers. It's really quite good with a slice of cheese, lettuce and tomato on whole grain bread or a pita.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Veggie Burgers

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil -- divided
1/2 Cup Minced Onion*
1/2 Cup Minced Green Pepper*
1/2 Cup Minced Carrot*
1/2 Cup Minced Celery*
1 Can Cannellini Beans -- (19 0z.)
2 Eggs -- lightly beaten
2/3 Cup Seasoned Dried Bread Crumbs
1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
Garlic Powder

*Save time and use a food processor to mince your vegetables.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1/4 Cup of chicken broth.
Add onion, pepper, carrot and celery; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until veggies are soft and moisture has evaporated. You may need to add a little more broth if your veggies aren't soft. Set aside to cool slightly.

Mash beans (again the food processor will speed this up). Place in a medium bowl and add eggs. Mix well.

Add bread crumbs and veggie mixture; mix until thoroughly combined.

Shape into 8 equal patties, cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 20 minutes.

In same skillet, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of oil. Add 4 patties, sprinkle with garlic powder, and cook over medium heat, turning once, until browned on both sides, and heated through.

Remove patties to plate; keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of oil and the last 4 patties.

Note: Bun not included in points.

Serves: 8
Calories: 131
Fat: 2.5
Fiber: 3
~2~

Source:
"www.weightwatchers.com"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Please post your favorite veggie burger Mare749 I'm trying to eat a ...
These were outstanding:

Mushroom Burgers
preparation: 20 minutes cooking: 30 minutes serves: 4

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 26 oz "cup" mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • 4 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
  • 1 egg
  • salt & ground black pepper, to taste
  • 4 hamburger buns, halved
  • watercress sprigs, trimmed, washed & dried, to serve
  • whole egg mayonnaise, to serve
Instructions:
  1. Heat 2 tbs oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, green onions, garlic & cumin & cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until the mushrooms are just tender. Increase the heat to medium-high & cook, stirring occasionally, for a further 10-12 minutes or until the pan juices evaporate. Set aside for 5 minutes.
  2. To make the burgers, place 1/2 the mushroom mixture into a food processor & process until smooth & pureed. Transfer the pureed mixture to a large heatproof bowl.
  3. Add the remaining cooked mushrooms, breadcrumbs, egg & salt & pepper to the pureed mushrooms. Mix well to combine. Evenly shape the mixture into 4 patties, about 3" in diameter & 3/4" thick.
  4. Heat the remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the patties & cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Remove & set aside to drain on paper towel.
  5. Meanwhile, toast the hamburger buns until golden.
  6. To serve, place the toasted bun bases onto serving plates, top each with watercress sprigs, a pattie & mayonnaise. Season with salt & pepper & top with the remaining bun tops. Serve immediately.
Variation:
  • Add 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce to the pattie mixture with the breadcrumbs. Serve the burgers with hummus instead of mayonnaise.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Please post your favorite veggie burger labradors These were outstandi...
Veggies is what food eats.

Re: Please post your favorite veggie burger piano226 Veggies is what food...
Quote:

Veggies is what food eats.

LOL! Love it!

Re: Please post your favorite veggie burger labradors [blockquote]Quote:[h...
Healthy or not, they both sound really tasty!! Not so much a veggie burger, but we love to just use a portabello(grilled) for the patty in a burger.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Please post your favorite veggie burger cjs Healthy or not, they...
HMMMM, I don't think I'm ready to go here yet. But good luck with it...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Please post your favorite veggie burger Gourmet_Mom HMMMM, I don't think...
Thanks Daphne, it's actually an acquired taste. I've been eating veggie burgers for years and love them, but then beef has never been high on my list of required foods like it is with Ron. He wants the beef.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Please post your favorite veggie burger Mare749 Thanks Daphne, it's ...
Portobellos are rare, here, and when the stores do have them, they may be packaged sliced, instead of whole.

I'm not much of a fan of most veggie burgers, but I love mushrooms so much that I had to try that mushroom burger recipe, and it was outstanding.
  Please post your favorite veggie burger Mare749 I'm trying to eat a ...
I'm a card carring carnivore. Vegi dishes for me are eggplant parmesagn, Greek salad, Hot & Sour Soup (tufu, in the only way I eat it), minestrone, and a few others. A veggie burger is not appealing to me --sorry, I wish my culinary desires were more varied.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Please post your favorite veggie burger