I found these two recipes in the "200 Years of Charleston Cooking" and wondered if they were the predecessor of the Arrancini we had made earlier. Opinions anyone?

* Exported from MasterCook *

Rice Croquettes I

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Grains-Legumes

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups boiled rice
1/2 cup thick white sauce
1 large egg -- separated
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons grated American cheese
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
bread crumbs

Add to the rice, while hot, the white sauce, well-beaten egg yolk, salt, cheese and cayenne. Set aside to cool, then mold into balls or cylinders. Dip in the well-beaten white of the egg and roll in bread crumbs. Fry in deep fat and serve while hot. This makes 12 small croquettes.

Description:
"Wash one cup of rice in several waters. Have two quarts of water, salted and boiling hot. Sift the rice in and boil thirty minutes. Put it into a strainer, rinse in hot water, and set over a kettle to dry. Serve very hot."
Source:
"200 Years of Charleston Cooking, pg 114"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Rice Croquettes II

Recipe By :Mrs. L. D. Simonds
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Grains-Legumes

2 cups boiled rice
4 large egg yolks
egg and crumbs
Red currant jelly

Have the rice boiled until it is quite soft. Beat the egg yolks into it and cook in the upper part of a double boiler for eight minutes. Turn out on a platter and allow the mixture to cool. Then roll into cylinders and dip these in beaten egg and then in crumbs and fry in deep fat. Drain on brown paper, make a dent in the top of each and fill with currant jelly.

Description:
"Although these are to be served with wild duck according to the recipe, we found them excellent with tame duck as well."
Source:
"200 Years of Charleston Cooking, pg 115"
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Old Fashioned Arrancini? bjcotton I found these two re...
Billy, isn't that Charleston Cooking book great!

I still haven't made these....hmmmm? Another summer project! Must look up recipe....I know it's here somewhere!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Old Fashioned Arrancini? Gourmet_Mom Billy, isn't that Ch...
I remember making croquettes a couple years ago...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Old Fashioned Arrancini? cjs I remember making cr...
That Málaga booklet where I found those soup recipes that I mentioned earlier (e.g. the cold garlic soup) had an interesting-sounding tapas croquette recipe. Since this was originally metric, I have converted the quantities.
Here is it:

Pine Nut Croquettes
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:
  • 5 1/3 Ounces Chicken, ground (about 3/4 Cup)
  • Olive oil
  • 1 Pint Milk
  • 4 Tbsp Flour
  • 1 Cup Chicken stock
  • Salt, to taste
  • Nutmeg, to taste
  • 3 Tbsp Pine nuts
  • 1 Egg, lightly beaten
  • Breadcrumbs
Instructions:
  1. Fry the ground chicken.
  2. Add the flour and mix thoroughly.
  3. Add the stock, stirring until absorbed.
  4. Gradually add the cold milk, salt and nutmeg.
  5. Continue stirring the mixture until it begins to pull away from the edges of the pan.
  6. Add the pine nuts and distribute them well.
  7. Take off the heat, and immediately turn out onto a tray, spreading it out to make a thin layer, then covering it so it does not make a crust.
  8. Allow to cool in the fridge for at least two hours.
  9. Remove from the fridge and shape the croquettes, not making them too big, and coat them first with the egg, then with the breadcrumbs.
  10. Fry the croquettes, in enough hot oil to cover them, until they are a golden colour, then let them drain on paper towels before serving.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Old Fashioned Arrancini? labradors That Málaga booklet ...
I think this is the recipe we used, but I have 2 recipes for it, the other one is from Williams-Sonoma.

Arancini - Rice Balls

Recipe By :Michele Scicolone
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers

For the Filling
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion -- very finely chopped
1 clove garlic -- finely chopped
8 ounces ground beef
1 1/2 cups chopped canned Italian peeled tomatoes
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup frozen peas
For the Rice
5 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon saffron threads -- crumbled
2 cups medium-grain rice, such as Arborio
2 tablespoons butter
salt
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
4 large egg yolks
To Assemble
5 large egg whites
2 cups plain bread crumbs
flour -- for dredging
4 ounces sharp provolone -- cut in small dice
vegetable oil -- for deep-frying

To make the filling, put the oil, onion, and garlic in a medium skillet, turn on the heat to medium, and cook until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.

Add the beef to the skillet and cook, stirring to break up the lumps, until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring the sauce to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 30 minutes.

Add the peas and cook 5 minutes more. Let cool.

To make the rice, bring the broth and saffron to a boil in a large pot. Stir in the rice, butter, and salt to taste. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook until the rice is tender, about 18 minutes.

Remove the rice from the heat and stir in the cheeses. Let cool slightly, then stir in the egg yolks.

To assemble, beat the egg whites in a shallow bowl until foamy. Spread the bread crumbs on one sheet of wax paper and the flour on another. Place a cake rack over a baking sheet.

Dip your hands in cool water, to prevent the rice from sticking. Scoop up about 1/2 cup of the rice mixture and place it in the palm of one hand. Poke a shallow hole in the center of the rice. Press about 1 tablespoon of the filling into the hole and top it with a piece of provolone. Cup your hand slightly, molding the rice over the filling to enclose it completely. Add a little more rice if necessary to cover the filling completely. Very gently squeeze the ball together to compact the rice.

Carefully roll the rice ball in the flour, then in the egg whites to coat it completely. Roll the ball in the bread crumbs, being sure not to leave any spots uncovered. Place the rice ball on the cake rack to dry. Continue making rice balls with the remaining ingredients, rinsing your hands between each. When all of the rice balls have been made, place the rack in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to dry.

Pour about 3 inches of oil into an electric deep-fryer or a deep heavy saucepan. Heat the oil until the temperature reaches 375° on a deep-frying thermometer, or a drop of egg white sizzles when it is added to the oil. With a slotted spoon or skimmer, lower a few rice balls at a time into the hot oil; do not crowd the pan. Cook until golden brown and crisp all over, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the rice balls to paper towels to drain. Keep the cooked rice balls warm in a low oven while you fry the remainder. Serve hot or warm.

Source:
"The Sopranos Family Cookbook, pgs 80 & 81"
Yield:
"18 each"

Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Old Fashioned Arrancini?