Forgot how much 'stuff' goes into K.C. BBQ Sauce - from border to border, it all goes in!

[Image: ingredients.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Lordy, Look at the Ingredients!! cjs Forgot how much 'stu...
WHOA!!!!!

Shall I guess that's your To Do list and recipes hanging on the cabinets? Good luck on your quest for the perfect party, Jean! I know your neighbors are appreciative of your culinary commitment! I just wish I was one of them.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Lordy, Look at the Ingredients!! Gourmet_Mom WHOA!!!!![br][br]Sha...
Yeah, my chores list - can't remember to do a darn thing without my lists.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Wow, you and I have the same pepper grinder!

Inspired by the Frugal Gourmet?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
That is my favorite bbq sauce. Did you post the recipe on another thread? I'd love to have it. How long does it keep?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Re: Lordy, Look at the Ingredients!! luvnit That is my favorite ...
Hmmmmmm, I don't have it either...pretty please Jean.

Barbara, I bought two of those just because I'd seen Jeans. I have a big one and a little one.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

Re: Lordy, Look at the Ingredients!! bjcotton Hmmmmmm, I don't hav...
Yup, inspired by that old weasel...

I think this was a B.A. recipe...it's so good.

Kansas City BBQ Sauce - *****

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium-size onion -- minced
1 clove garlic -- minced
1/4 green bell pepper -- cored, seeded, and minced
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup tomato sauce
3 tablespoons cider vinegar -- or more to taste
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons pineapple juice (optional)
1 teaspoon your favorite hot sauce -- or more to taste
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke -- or 2 tablespoons meat drippings
2 tablespoons molasses
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar -- or more to taste
2 tablespoons prepared mustard of your choice
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Salt

1. Heat the oil in a large nonreactive saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper and cook until softened but not brown, about 4 minutes.

2. Stir in the ketchup, tomato sauce, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, pineapple juice (if using), hot sauce, liquid smoke, molasses, brown sugar, prepared and dry mustards, black pepper, and 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 15 minutes, stirring often to prevent scorching. If the sauce becomes too thick, add a little more water.

3. Remove the barbecue sauce from the heat and taste for seasoning, adding salt to taste and more cider vinegar, hot sauce, and/or brown sugar as necessary; the sauce should be highly seasoned.

4. Transfer the barbecue sauce to a serving bowl and serve warm or at room temperature. The sauce will keep, tightly covered in the refrigerator, for several weeks.
------

- - - - - - -
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Lordy, Look at the Ingredients!! cjs Yup, inspired by tha...
Question Jean: Does this sauce have some 'bits' of onion and stuff, or do you strain it? Or do you use a stick blender to make it smooth?

Not that 'bits of stuff' would be bad. It would be fine. Just wondering if the finished product is smooth or kinda chunky.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Re: Lordy, Look at the Ingredients!! luvnit Question Jean: Does...
Thanks, Jean. Nice looking grinder.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Lordy, Look at the Ingredients!! Lorraine Thanks, Jean. Nice ...
Kinda small chunky, you could use a stick - it just has the minced onion, so I don't smooth it out.
www.achefsjourney.com
Lordy, Look at the Ingredients!!