Safeway had a sale on half hams about a month ago. We grabbed a big'n and threw it in the freezer (while trying to duck and slam the door as fast as possible! ). We hauled it out and cut a slice off to cook for dinner late last week.

Well I have to say that the closest thing to "smoke" this ham had ever been near was the no smoking sign in the processing plant! Grrrrrr - but at 79 cents a pound I wasn't going to [censored] too bad.

Yesterday I grabbed the ham and rubbed it down with a rib rub I had made, wrapped it in cheesecloth, and put it in the smoker along with a couple nice fat pork shanks (with a Cajun rub on them), and a chunk of pork loin cured for Canadian bacon. I soaked the cheesecloth on the ham with root beer (in a spray bottle) and frequently re-squirted the ham and the rest of the goodies. We smoked everything really slowly for about 5 hours.

All I can say is that the ham must taste like hams used to taste! I'm going to keep my eyes open for another one of those again - for smoker fodder.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Store bought ham brought to glory! Harborwitch Safeway had a sale o...
good idea, Sharon - those 79 cent/lb. hams are too good to pass up and this is a great way to make them better!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Store bought ham brought to glory! cjs good idea, Sharon - ...
It's like someone else did the curing - all I had to do was smoke it - it stayed juicy, cooked through, and the taste was incredible.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Store bought ham brought to glory! Harborwitch It's like someone el...
I love it!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".

Re: Store bought ham brought to glory! Old Bay I love it!!!...
What a great discovery! Thanks for telling us about it, Sharon. Ron will love this.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Store bought ham brought to glory! Mare749 What a great discove...
Great idea Sharon...William is intrigued. The hams here are on sale all the time for 79 and 89 cents.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Store bought ham brought to glory!