Has anyone else made CubanGirl's Cuban bread yet? I had about 2/3 of one loaf to put in the freezer and we've been enjoying a couple slices almost every night. I wish I knew more about the properties of baking (well, maybe I wish I did ) - the ingredients are not unusual, the baking method is different, but doesn't seem like that would make the difference in the texture of this wonderful bread. We love it more everytime we have another slice.

If you haven't made it yet, I sure would encourage you all to give it a try. YUM!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Cuban Bread Revisited cjs Has anyone else made...
The other night, I had so much cooking to do, I didn't get around to making it.

I picked up another new wine yesterday. I had to deliver OS back to college, so I got to visit Sam's Club. I picked up a Foggio Alla Badiola. It says Sangiovese 70%, Merlot 30%. I thought I'd make up some lasagna Monday night to serve with it, so I'm thinking that will be the day to make this bread!

LOL, that was a long way around to working that wine into a bread conversation! Oh well! I also picked up the newest Weeknight Menus, finally, too! I have about 5 things marked to make...need to check back at the reviews of some of those recipe!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Cuban Bread Revisited Gourmet_Mom The other night, I h...
I've been planning to make it, but am catching up on a few other things, first. Tomorrow, I'll be making a full, traditional Czech meal - Vepro-Knedlo-Zelo - something I've been planning for a while. The Cuban bread will still be at least a week away.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Cuban Bread Revisited labradors I've been planning t...
You sent me to google for this one - pork, dumplings and cabbage, what's not to love? What kind of vinegar will you use in the cabbage?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Cuban Bread Revisited cjs You sent me to googl...
The recipe only specifies 8% vinegar, so I have left a message for my Czech contact to see if it's anything other than white vinegar. The way it's used in the recipe, the vinegar and sugar are added, to taste, once the cabbage (or sauerkraut, depending upon the regional version of the recipe) has already been cooked. I'll post the entire, translated recipe after everything is done, in case I need to adjust any of the translation.

Update: Confirmed: It is 8% acidity spirit vinegar = distilled vinegar = white vinegar.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Cuban Bread Revisited labradors The recipe only spec...
Sounds like a fun meal, labs! Be sure to tell us all about it and take some pics if possible. I love that kind of food.

Jean, I have made the cuban bread and it's one of my favorites. Easy to make and sooo tasty. Oh darn, now I want one of those cuban sandwiches! Yum!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Cuban Bread Revisited Mare749 Sounds like a fun me...
me too, Maryann!
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Cuban Bread Revisited cjs me too, Maryann!...
I am so happy you like the bread as much as I do. We are in Las Vegas this week for a trade show (for our website ArtzQuest.com) and I am looking forward to a couple of meals at Cuban Restaurants here and the bread is one of my favorite parts of the meal. Wealso always get Cuban Sandwiches to go, and have them the next day. BTW, my mom makes a bunch at once, then wraps them really well in plastic and then foil and freezes them. She then reheats them as needed in a toaster oven and they are still wonderful. Just a thought if you have some extra.
  Re: Cuban Bread Revisited Gourmet_Mom The other night, I h...
hi I am new here, very new, first post.
question is after trying to figure out this format,
where the recipe is for this bread.
I've sent a PM to the recipe writer I think
...of all the things to cherish most in 'this' life, it's the love of a little one...

Re: Cuban Bread Revisited WannaBeTVChef hi I am new here, ve...
Welcome, "WannaBe" - Here's probably more than you wanted to know about this subject, but it started with a wonderful pork recipe from Labs, then a Cuban sandwich using the wonderful meat and on to CubanGirl posting her Cuban bread recipe. So, here are all the recipes together for all of us.

That bread is wonderful!!!

From my LIVING COOKBOOK files.

CUBAN BREAD JAMES BEARD VERSION *****

Yield: 2 Loaves

DO NOT PREHEAT OVEN

Oven Temperature: 400°F

Bread is done when internal temp is about 200°F and it makes a hollow sound when tapped.

1 Package Yeast (1/4 Ounce)
2 cups Lukewarm water
1 ¼ TBS. salt
1 TBS. sugar
6 to 7 cups Sifted all-purpose flour
Water for brushing tops
Cornmeal for cookie sheet

1. Dissolve the yeast in the water and add the salt, and sugar, stirring thoroughly.

2. Add the flour, one cup at a time, beating it in with a wooden spoon, or use the dough hook on an electric mixer at low speed (KA start on 2, work up to 3). Add enough flour to make fairly stiff dough. (After sifting 6 cups should be plenty, machine kneading time about 7-9 minutes, know dough is ready when leaves sides of bowl.)

3. When the dough is thoroughly mixed, shape it into a ball, place in a greased bowl (I use olive oil) and grease the top. Cover with a dry clean towel, (A plastic 4 qt. Container works well, flatten dough measure amount form bottom to where it starts and mark with erasable marker or tape, then measure same amount and mark or tape again for doubling guide.) and let stand in a warm place (80° to 85°F) until doubled in bulk. (About 30 minutes if put in microwave in which 2 cups of water have been boiled for 6 minutes, leave cup in corner of microwave, turned off)

4. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and shape with lightly floured hand into two long French-style loaves or round Italian-style loaves. Arrange on a baking sheet heavily sprinkled with cornmeal and allow rising five minutes.

5. Slash the tops of the loaves in two or three places with a knife or scissors. Brush the loaves with water (I just use clean wet hands and pat the dough) and place them in a cold oven. Set the oven control at hot (400°F) and place a pan of boiling water on the bottom of the oven. Bake the loaves until they are crusty and done, about 40 to 45 minutes. (Can tell bread is done when internal temp is about 200°F and it makes a hollow sound when tapped)

Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour and 25 minutes
Inactive Time: 35 minutes

Recipe Type: Bread, Cuban Food

Author: Me
Source: adapted from James Beard in The New York Times Cookbook

-------

Cuban Sandwiches
Makes 4 generous sandwiches

Ingredients:
Cuban bread or (Substitute French bread if you must, but NOT a baguette!)
Butter, softened
1 pound ham sliced (Use a good quality ham.)
1 pound lechón asado (roasted Cuban pork) sliced
1/2 pound Swiss cheese, sliced (Use a mild Swiss -- we like Baby Swiss -- it has only a few holes.)
Sliced dill pickles (dill "Sandwich Stackers" work great)
Yellow mustard (optional)
Mayonnaise (NEVER!!)

Instructions:
1. Preheat a pancake griddle or large fry pan. Cut the bread into sections about 8 inches long. Cut these in half and spread butter on both halves (inside). Make each sandwich with the ingredients in this order: pickles, roasted pork, ham, and cheese. Be generous!

NOTE: Most people use a sweet cured ham (jamón dulce) or bolo ham for Cuban sandwiches. If you can find these hams in your area, great. Otherwise, look for a slightly sweet, soft textured ham with a mild taste. You don't want the flavor of the ham to overpower the rest of the ingredients! Also, never use shaved ham or pork in a Cuban sandwich!

2. Place the sandwich on the hot griddle (fry pan) sprayed with a little "Pam" or lightly greased. Place a heavy iron skillet or bacon press on top of the sandwich to flatten. (You really want to smash the sandwich, compressing the bread to about 1/3 its original size!)

3. Grill the sandwiches for two to three minutes on each side, until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden. Make sure your griddle or fry pan is not TOO HOT! Otherwise, the crust will burn before the cheese melts. Slice the sandwich in half diagonally and serve.
(Source: Three Guys from Miami)

---------

Island Fever: Tastes &Tales of Cayman
Solving the Lechon AsadoMystery

I apologize to readers who were left atloose ends in the caboose last week wondering what on earth Iwas talking about in this column. When I mentioned "Spanish"influences on Caymanian cookery, meaning Cuba and our CentralAmerican neighbors, I assumed everyone in Cayman knew that lechonasado is Cuban-style roast pork.

I was wrong and many didn't. While thisdish is widely enjoyed here in Cayman, it's not always calledby that name. You may be more familiar with carne asado ("Spanish"style roast beef) a regular today on many chalkboard menus. Sohere is an explanation and a recipe-- and an apology for thatoversight.

On Christmas Eve and Three Kings Day (Feastof the Epiphany, January 6) , lechon asado is the traditionalhighlight of the holiday table. In its most festive form, it isa whole suckling pig, usually about 20 ¬30 pounds, slowlyroasted in a pit and served with great ceremony. But lechon asadois enjoyed year round using smaller cuts, such as fresh leg ofham, pork loin or even fresh picnic, which are uniquely seasonedand slow-roasted until falling of the bone, which is the way ourCuban and other Latin neighbors like their pork.

You will need plenty of fresh garlic andSeville (sour) oranges for this dish. This is a delicious wayto prepare Cayman's local fresh pork, which is sold in the meatcounters of our local supermarkets. If you don't have time tomake your own marinade and want a speedy but similar taste, substitutean equal quantity of ready-made Kirby Spanish Barbecue Sauce orBadia Mojo marinade. I suggest adding a little fresh orange juiceto these mixes, as they tend to be overly acidic. Both are availableat local supermarkets. Here is my recipe from Tortuga Rum Feverand Caribbean Party Cookbook.

Cuban RoastPork

Nothing is more delicious than boldly seasonedlechon asado, or roast suckling pig, the highlight of the traditionalCuban Nochebuena (Christmas Eve) celebration, Three Kings Day(Feast of the Epiphany) and many other Caribbean fetes. But ifroasting a whole 20-pound pig isn't convenient, try this scaleddown recipe for a delicious island-style pork feast.

1 8-pound bone-in fresh ham (shank portion) or boneless pork loinroast
12 large cloves garlic, peeled and mashed
1 tablespoon salt (coarse Kosher salt is best)
1 bay leaf, ground
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup Tortuga Dark Rum (** Optional. You can substitute moreorange juice if you prefer)
1-1/2 cups sour orange juice, or 1-1/4 cups orange juice and 1/4cup Cayman lime juice
2 medium yellow onions, sliced into thin rings
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic salt

Trim off excess fat from pork and make shallowcuts all over meat. Combine garlic, salt, bay leaf, oregano, thyme,cumin and pepper in food processor and grind into paste. Placethe pork on a plate to catch any seasoning drips.

Rub seasoningmix into the pork, making sure it goes into the cuts in the surface.Put the roast in a large bowl or jumbo resealable zip-top bag.Combine onions, olive oil, and rum and bitter orange juice andblend well and pour over roast, turning so roast is covered withmarinade. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or seal bag tightly andrefrigerate 24 hours, turning roast occasionally so marinate thoroughlysaturates all surfaces.

Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Remove roastfrom marinade (save marinade) and place fat side up in roastingpan lightly oiled with olive oil. Sprinkle with remaining pepperand salt. From here, the cooking methods vary according to cook.There are two suggestions from Cuban friends about how to cooklechon asado in the oven.
The first one: roast pork for an hour at350F, turning the meat during cooking so all sides are browned.

After an hour, remove roast from oven, pour reserved marinadeand onions over roast and tent with aluminum foil. Return to ovenand reduce heat to 300. Roast for 2-1/2 hours longer, bastingoften with pan juices and marinade, or until roast is well done.The other method is to heat the oven to very low heat, 225 andcook the roast slowly, about 7- 8-hours-basting frequently withmarinade.

Our Latin neighbors like their pork very well done,falling apart tender. Either way, the internal temperature shouldread at 180 degrees on a meat thermometer. Let stand 20 minutes,covered, before serving. This might serve 6-8 people.

Serve with fried sweet plantains, whiteor yellow rice and black beans. You'll also want to have a bottleof Tortuga Hell-Fire Hot Pepper Sauce or other favorite Scotchbonnet sauce handy, since this traditional recipe does not usehot pepper.

---

Now, we can all have some fun!
www.achefsjourney.com
Cuban Bread Revisited