This baby deserves a thread of its own!!!

I found this recipe, posted by Karen, on a recent thread:
http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...e=0&fpart=2 and decided to make it tonight.

DH wants me to make him one of his own next week! Yes, we ate the whole thing... so much for the "Serves 4"!

Zucchini-Crusted Pizza
Serves 4 (1 10" pie) 1.25 hrs. to prepare

"A normal pizza on top, with a beautiful, substantial-yet-tender crust: golden, with flecks of green and a slight crunch." (Our first one turned golden but we didn't have the slight crunch, maybe needs to be cooked longer.)"You can make the crust several days in advance."

olive oil & flour for the pan
2 C. (packed) grated zucchini (about 2 7" zucchini)
2 eggs beaten---or 2 egg whites (we used the egg whites, I had used yolks in an earlier recipe)
1/4 C. flour
1/2 C. grated mozzarella
1/2 C. grated fresh parmesan
Optional: pinches of basil, marjoram and/or rosemary (we used fresh basil & rosemary)

TOPPING SUGGESTIONS:
extra olive oil (didn't use)
1 large ripe tomato, sliced (used grape tomatoes, sliced in 1/2)
extra mozarella, sliced or grated (used asiago & mozarella)
2-3 large garlic cloves, sliced (used 4)
sauteed mushrooms (used fresh portabellas, not sauteed)
thinly sliced bell peppers (omitted)
sliced olives (omitted)
(Added sliced green onion)

1. Preheat oven to 400. Generously oil a 10" pie pan (I used a baking sheet)& coat lightly w flour.
2. Combine zucchini, eggs, flour, mozzarella, parmesan, herbs and 1 TBS olive oil in a bowl & mix well.
3. Spread into the prepared pan & bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown. About 1/2 way through baking, brush w the remaining 1 TBS of olive oil (optional-- didn't do this, but feel this is why the first one didn't have the aforementioned 'crunch'. The second one had a slight crunch.) Remove from oven.
When it has cooled for about 10 minutes, use a spatula to loosen the crust from the pan so it won't break later (I forgot to do this the first time, mistake!)
4. Top with your favorite pizza items and bake at 400 until heated through (about 10 min.)

Okay, the above was taken from Karen's post. Now, my changes (you knew that there would be some, didn't you???)

I used 3 cups of shredded zucchini ("spun dry" in the washing machine...) and 1 large egg, one large egg white

I decreased the cheese by half to 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella and 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan

I added 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil and salt & pepper

Prep changes:
I patted the zucchini into a 14" circle

For toppings I used mostly stuff from the garden-- sliced tomato, red onion, bell pepper, cubanelle pepper

Now, here's where it gets a little "fussy" (but the crust turned out to be so crispy and cheesy that DH has told me I cannot try any other way to bake it!)

I patted the crust out onto parchment and baked it, brushing it with oil halfway through. Then, after removing it from the oven I allowed it to sit for 5 minutes then slid the parchment and crust onto a large cooling rack.

After another 5 minutes, I loosened the crust from the parchment. I sprayed the baking sheet and slid the crust onto the still-warm baking pan. I added the toppings and baked for 10 minutes.

Viola. Crispy crust, and INCREDIBLE flavor!!!

Thanks so much to Karen for posting this!!!

Yum. (got a magnifying glass?????)

[Image: ry%3D400.jpg]
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com

Zucchini-Crusted Pizza, oh my! foodfiend This baby deserves a...
Even the tiny picture looks outstanding, Vicci! Thanks for the review and all your notes. Copied and saved!

And thank you, Karen, for posting the original recipe. This sounds like a winner.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Zucchini-Crusted Pizza, oh my! Mare749 Even the tiny pictur...
Gotta get this one made soon!! I hope my next batch of zuccs hurries up and grows a little bigger.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Zucchini-Crusted Pizza, oh my! cjs Gotta get this one m...
OMG! Vicci, I had this recipe or one alot like it, when kids were young. Just the other day we had two zukes that "got away" and I was wishing I could find this recipe.
Thank you so much!!!
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Zucchini-Crusted Pizza, oh my! farnfam OMG! Vicci, I had th...
That does it....one of those pizzas this weekend will be this one! Thanks Karen and Vicci!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Zucchini-Crusted Pizza, oh my! Gourmet_Mom That does it....one ...
I'm afraid to do this at 700 in my oven. Sounds great, but I think it's an indoor thing--I am going to try it though--we love zucchini!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Zucchini-Crusted Pizza, oh my!