I seem doomed to failure today. Not only did the store not have corned beef, it didn't have plum sauce either! Local independent grocery stores are notorious for having something one week and not having it the next!

ANYWAY....I have two choices here: make plum sauce or use peach preserves. I'd prefer to use the peach preserves, because I don't know if I have everything for plum sauce. I DID however pick up a pound of plums. Could I just cook them down with some sugar?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Plum Sauce ? Gourmet_Mom I seem doomed to fai...
BTW, the recipe ACTUALLY calls for plum preserves! Help?
Daphne

Re: Plum Sauce ? Gourmet_Mom BTW, the recipe ACTU...
I was on a hunt for plum preserve for a recipe from here and never found them. Found every type under the sun but those.

Daphne - I'm no help on your real question though!

Re: Plum Sauce ? Trixxee I was on a hunt for ...
Daphne, maybe you could cook the plums down and add Asian flavors - Chinese 5 spice, chili garlic sauce......

here's some ingredients to play with

4 garlic cloves, minced fine
1/2 ounce fresh ginger, minced
1 small onion, minced
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups water
1/8 cup teriyaki sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/8 cup soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon crushed dried chili
3 lbs plums, pitted & chopped
1 lemon, juice of, fresh
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water

Place first 11 ingredients into pot. Bring to a boil then simmer 30 minutes.

Mix water and cornstarch. Blend in a blender the solids from the pot with the cornstarch mixture and put back with the liquid simmering all the while. Simmer till thickened.

Pour into sterilized jars (size you like) and put into a water bath for 10 minutes.

Remove jars from water bath cool and store in a cool dark place.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Plum Sauce ? cjs Daphne, maybe you co...
I'm going with plum preserves...One pound plums, 2/3 cup each: water and sugar and half a cinnamon stick. This should yield 1 cup preserves. After looking at the recipe, it calls for 1 cup of preserves added to half the Yakitori sauce. I think I'm good!
Daphne
Plum Sauce ?