I would like to have a brining or marinate recipe for a turkey breast

that I would like to smoke.

Any tried recipes - Thanks for all help

or a site to go to?

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.

Turkey Breast brining recipe to use with smoking mjkcooking I would like to have...
Everyone has their brine...most are water, salt, sugar, etc. This one is different, because it uses buttermilk instead of water. It is also intended for legs and thighs, but I don't see why breasts would not work. The flavor is what I look for.

I have NEVER used it to smoke my chicken, so I don't know if that would make a difference...doubt it, since you pat them dry before you grill them. For what it's worth, it is very flavorful and we LOVE it! But I would like for you to get other opinions on this before you try mine. (Insecurity is a pitiful thing...LOL!)

Here's mine:

1 quart buttermilk
1/2 cup chopped shallots
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon pepper
2 1/2 pounds chicken thigh
1 3/4 pounds chicken drumstick

In a large bowl, mix buttermilk, shallots, garlic, salt, sugar, cumin, and pepper.

Rinse chicken thighs and drumsticks and pat dry. Trim off excess fat. Submerge chicken pieces in buttermilk brine. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours, or up to 1 day. (I always do it overnight.)

The rest you know.....
"The buttermilk brine makes this chicken tender and juicy."
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Turkey Breast brining recipe to use with smoking Gourmet_Mom Everyone has their b...
My basic brine is to every quart of cold water add 1/4 cup kosher salt plus 2 T. each: granulated sugar & brown sugar. I also add herbs that go with whatever I'm brining.

Lots of folks start with hot water to quickly dissolve the salt & sugars, but I've found with a little good whisking everything dissolves and you aren't standing there waiting for the brine to cool.

Hope you let us know how the turkey breast turns out for you, Marye
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Turkey Breast brining recipe to use with smoking cjs My basic brine is to...
this will probably be more of an experiment then anything else.

Thank you for your recipes.

What I am now wondering do you need to marinate or brine before you smoke

a turkey? and how would a deboned bird do instead of a turkey breast?

? Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Turkey Breast brining recipe to use with smoking mjkcooking I would like to have...
Hope I'm not too late. I love this recipe from a fairly current issue of Eating Well magazine. The turkey turned out delicious and juicy. Hope you like it if you try it.

Smoked Turkey Breast

Makes 12 servings, with leftovers
Ingredients

12 cups (3 quarts) water, divided
¾ cup kosher salt
1 medium shallot, roughly chopped
1 medium clove garlic, smashed
Zest of 1 lemon, removed in large strips with a vegetable peeler
10 thyme sprigs
8 sage leaves
4 bay leaves
1 tablespoon allspice berries
1 6-pound bone-in whole turkey breast (see Shopping Tip)
1 pound wood chips (about 8 cups), such as apple or hickory wood
eating well Smoked Turkey Breast Ingredients Cont.

eating well Smoked Turkey Breast Instructions

1. Place 4 cups (1 quart) water, salt, shallot, garlic, lemon zest, thyme, sage, bay leaves and allspice berries in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature, about 1 hour.
2. Pour the brine into a large bowl or clean tub; add the remaining 8 cups (2 quarts) water. Set turkey in the brine and refrigerate for 6 hours.
3. Two hours before preheating the grill, place wood chips in a large bowl of water to soak.
4. About 20 minutes before you are ready to grill, preheat a gas grill with all burners lit to 300°F or build a fire in a charcoal grill and let it burn down to low heat (about 300°F).
5. Drain the wood chips. If using a gas grill, fold a 12-by-20-inch piece of heavy-duty foil in half to create a 12-by-10-inch double-thick piece. Transfer the wet wood chips to the center of the foil and crimp up the edges to create a “basket.” (If you have a gas grill with a smoking box, place the chips directly into the box.) Set the foil basket on the grill rack directly over the heat source. If using a charcoal grill, you will add the chips directly to the coals as the turkey cooks.
6. If using a gas grill, turn off one burner (leaving 1 to 2 burners lit, depending on your grill). If using a charcoal grill, move the coals to one side.
7. Remove the turkey from the brine, pat dry and set on the unheated side of the grill rack.
If using a charcoal grill, place one-third of the wood chips on the coals. Close the lid and roast undisturbed for 40 minutes.
8. Rotate the turkey 180 degrees, add half the remaining wood chips to the coals if using a charcoal grill, cover and continue roasting for 40 minutes.
9. Rotate the turkey 180 degrees one more time, add the remaining wood chips if using a charcoal grill, cover and continue roasting until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the meat without touching bone registers 165°F, 40 minutes to 1 hour more. Transfer the turkey to a clean cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.
eating well Smoked Turkey Breast Instructions Cont.

eating well Smoked Turkey Breast Tips

Equipment: 1 pound wood chips for smoking, such as apple or hickory wood

Shopping tip: This recipe was developed for a minimally processed turkey. You can use a turkey breast that has been “enhanced” with saline solution (check the label for added sodium to be sure), but reduce the brining time to 3 hours. Overbrining an already “enhanced” turkey breast will make it too salty.
eating well Smoked Turkey Breast Tips Cont.

eating well Smoked Turkey Breast Nutrition Information

Per 3-ounce serving (without skin): 115 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 71 mg cholesterol; 0 g carbohydrate; 26 g protein; 0 g fiber; 149 mg sodium; 248 mg potassium.
0 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 4 lean meat
Shannon

Re: Turkey Breast brining recipe to use with smoking Dismc Hope I'm not too lat...
Oh my, Dismc....this sounds wonderful! I'll be giving this a try! Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Turkey Breast brining recipe to use with smoking