Yo, Jean...you never posted this recipe!!!

I can't find any reference to the ribs either, although, I thought I saw you mention those before.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Ahab's Wife's Seafood Chowder Gourmet_Mom Yo, Jean...you never...
Helloooo....>>>>tap tap<<<< Is this thing on?
Daphne
  Ahab's Wife's Seafood Chowder Gourmet_Mom Yo, Jean...you never...
Ahab's Wife's Seafood Chowder
(aka Jan Keshen's Seafood Chowder)

6 strips of bacon (may sub turkey bacon)
2 large onions, diced
4 stalks celery, chopped
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes, diced
1 1/2 cups fish, seafood, or chicken stock
8 oz. bottle clam juice
1/2 cup white wine
8 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1/2 tsp. dried
1 tsp. kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 lb. firm, white-fleshed fish, cut into small cubes
3/4 lb. bay or sea scallops
3/4 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 cups whole milk, or half-and-half
4 cups fresh corn (may sub frozen kernels, defrosted)
10 oz. can minced or whole baby clams, with juice
1/4 cup chopped parsley

In a large Dutch oven, saute the bacon (use a little olive oil for turkey bacon)until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Chop or crumble the bacon and set aside.

Add the onions, celery, and bay leaves to remaining fat and saute until soft, about 7 minutes. Add the potatoes, stock, clam juice, wine, and enough water to cover. Simmer uncovered about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are just cooked. Remove the bay leaves.

Add the thyme, salt & pepper, and adjust seasonings to taste. Add the fish, scallops and shrimp and cook 3-5 minutes, until just done. Add the milk, corn, clams and parsely. Heat through. Serve topped with bacon pieces as garnish.

makes 8 to 10 servings.

Proofread this twice, so there are no "1/4 cup salt" or whatever it was I typed a while back.

I'll go find the other recipe.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Ahab's Wife's Seafood Chowder cjs Ahab's Wife's Seafoo...
"Proofread this twice, so there are no "1/4 cup salt" or whatever it was I typed a while back." You're so funny! That one will stay with me for a while...LOL! I'll never question my own common sense again either!
Daphne

Re: Ahab's Wife's Seafood Chowder Gourmet_Mom "Proofread this twic...
BTW, did you make the whole recipe? And did you freeze what was left? (I know we've discussed freezing milk/potatoes before, but...)
Daphne
  Re: Ahab's Wife's Seafood Chowder Gourmet_Mom "Proofread this twic...
Just looked at the Dinosaur Rib recipe and I'm not really sure what I did (must learn to write better notes)

* Exported from MasterCook *

JUST DINOSAUR RIBS

FOR THE RIBS:
2 racks beef ribs (2 ½ to 3 pounds each -- see Note)
4 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
1 tablespoon coarse (kosher or sea) salt
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
FOR THE BASTING MIXTURE/SAUCE:
2/3 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup rice wine -- sake, or dry sherry, or more If needed
2 tablespoons honey
2 cloves garlic -- minced
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger

Note #1 - on the recipe I have the "for the basting mixture/sauce" X'd out - and a note "braised with red wine"

1. Rinse the ribs under cold running water and blot dry with paper towels. Combine the five-spice powder, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Place the ribs in a large baking dish and rub all over with the mixture. Cover and let marinate, in the refrigerator, for at least 1 hour, ideally 4 to 6 hours. (left mine ~ 6 hours)

2. Combine the hoisin sauce, rice wine, honey, garlic, and ginger in a bowl and whisk to mix. Add rice wine as needed to thin the sauce to basting consistency. Set aside about 1/2 cup to use for serving.

3. Set up the grill for indirect cooking (see page 14 or 16), placing a drip pan in the center. If using a charcoal grill, preheat to medium. If using a gas grill, place all the chips in the smoker box and preheat the grill to high. When smoke appears, lower the heat to medium. (I didn't do this - I went cheap & dirty and just grilled them slowly)

4. When ready to cook, if using charcoal, toss half the wood chips on the coals. For both gas and charcoal, oil the grill grate. Place the ribs on the hot grate over the drip pan and cover the grill. Cook the ribs for 1 hour. (this I did)

If using a charcoal grill, add 10 to 12 fresh coals per side and toss the remaining wood chips on the fire. Continue cooking the ribs until done, 30 minutes to 1 hour longer. The ribs are done when the meat is very tender and it has shrunk back from the ends of the bones. Start basting the ribs with the hoisin mixture the last 30 minutes.

(Baste several times, giving the ribs one final brushing just before serving.) Serve the ribs accompanied by the reserved sauce.
Serves 4

Below are notes that I must have copied with the recipe - not my style of writing - guess i'd better do these again so I know what the heck I did.
Note: The sort of ribs I use for this recipe are the long beef ribs sold in racks measuring 6 to 8 inches high and 10 to 12 inches wide, each rack containing 7 ribs, racks are what remain after the butcher cuts the rib roast off the bones. At first they may not look very meaty, but they're incredibly succulent and there's really quite a bit of meat between the bones.

Grilled Short Ribs, see Index) and where braised beef ribs are popular in China. The following recipe merges East and West, featuring a rub based on traditional Chinese five-spice powder and a sweet, sticky glaze made with hoisin sauce.

The cooking method-long, slow, smokegrilling-is a hundred percent American. The mammoth size of these ribs led a young friend of mine to call them "dinosaur ribs." So dinosaur ribs they remain at our house.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

At the very end of the recipe I wrote - "great with BBQ sauce" so maybe that's what is used in place of the basting mixture/sauce.

Sorry, Daphne, these were so good, but I just didn't take good enough notes.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Ahab's Wife's Seafood Chowder cjs Just looked at the D...
Okay, thanks Jean! I'm pretty sure I can't get the style of beef ribs you used, so I may hold off on this one. But the chowder is on for tonight. I guess I'll continue my planning later and get to the store or we won't be eating anything...LOL!
Daphne
Ahab's Wife's Seafood Chowder