We're still catching up on our sleep and energy, so didn't plan anything special for our anniversary, but will try to think of something for brunch that's special. Crap, I don't think we even have any champagne....

For dinner I think we're just going to heat up last nights Onion & Beef soup (no recipe, just had 'stuff'). Really tasty. But I have a recipe I copied from a magazine while we were in Hawaii that I think I'll make for an appy -

Char Siu-glazed Pork and Pineapple Buns - SUNSET HAWAII

1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon Hawaiian vanilla extract*
2 pork tenderloins (about 1 lb. each)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons minced ginger
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
12 slices peeled and cored fresh pineapple
24 King's Hawaiian sweet rolls or other small soft rolls -- warmed on the grill if you like
1 cup cilantro sprigs

1. Make brine: In a large pot, bring 3 1/2 cups water to a boil. Stir in salt, brown sugar, and vanilla. Chill until cool.
2. Put pork in a 9- by 13-in. pan and pour on brine. Chill at least 3 hours and up to 12.

3. Make char siu glaze: In a small bowl, mix together ketchup, hoisin, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, and soy sauce. Pour half the sauce into another small bowl.

4. Prepare grill for indirect medium heat (350° to 450°; you can hold your hand 5 in. above cooking grate only 5 to 7 seconds). Lay pork over indirect-heat area and cook, covered, until meat reaches 135° on a meat thermometer, 15 to 20 minutes.

5. Using a pastry brush and one bowl of glaze, cover pork with glaze, saving 2 tbsp. for the pineapple. Cook pork (if using charcoal, add 6 to 8 briquets to maintain temperature), turning occasionally, until glaze has caramelized slightly and meat thermometer reaches 145°, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer pork to a cutting board, tent with foil, and let rest 15 minutes.

6. Lay pineapple slices on direct-heat area of grill, brush with 2 tbsp. reserved glaze, and cook, turning once, until grill marks appear, about 4 minutes per side. Remove slices from grill and cut in half.

7. Cut pork into 1/2-in. slices. Cut a deep diagonal slit across the top of each roll. Fill each roll with a piece of pork, half a grilled pineapple slice, a cilantro sprig, and 1/2 tsp. glaze from second bowl. Serve rolls with remaining glaze for drizzling.

*Find aromatic Hawaiian vanilla extract at gourmet grocery stores and hawaiianvanilla.com; non-Hawaiian vanilla extract works too.

Make ahead: Brine pork and make char siu glaze up to 1 day ahead.

Description:
Char siu-Chinese-style barbecued pork-is popular throughout the Islands. We've used its sweet, tangy glaze on pork tenderloin and pineapple, and then tucked both into Hawaiian sweet rolls."

-----
This sounds so good - maybe I'll go look for a recipe for Hawaiian bread also. Anyone already have one to share??

What are you all up to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Nov. 22nd Dinner??? (Sunday) cjs We're still catching...
Lobster ravioli with pink sauce.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.

Re: Nov. 22nd Dinner??? (Sunday) BarbaraS Lobster ravioli with...
Wow, Barbara, is that leftovers or are you in love. I don't have a Trader Joe's anywhere near here. (Put this in the wrong place while ago...mad about no Trader Joe's OR Wegman's, not the easy dinner idea for tomorrow night...LOL!)

Jean, I can't wait for a report. Those flavors sound like it'll be a hit! I'm thinking I may need to add this to the Thanksgiving Break list...YUM! I'm off to check a Hawaiian Bread recipe. My first thought was that the Popcorn Bread recipe has the right texture, just needs more sugar. Not knowing a thing about the chemistry of baking, I thought I'd compare the ingredients.

I was going to make the Slow Cooker BBQ Brisket, but decided I don't have time. I wasn't going to be able to start it until now, and that would put dinner WAY too late. Instead, I'm going to get it ready, put the removeable liner in the fridge and let William put it on for the low setting tomorrow morning. That way dinner can be ready pretty quick and easy tomorrow...just mashers and a green.

That means I've got to figure out tonight's dinner. I am seriously not in the mood for burgers. We've got plenty of leftover Seafood Chowder, but I think I'm going to freeze that for a quick and easy before the holidays. Plus, if we had that, I'd be stuck with three meals in a row...lunch tomorrow. I'm leaning toward the Roasted Tomato Basil Soup with Goat Cheese Jean and Bill posted a while back. It's really cool and is supposed to rain tonight. I also got a new Sunset Holiday Book that has LOTS of tempting ideas. I'll check back in when I decide.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Nov. 22nd Dinner??? (Sunday) Gourmet_Mom Wow, Barbara, is tha...
Daphne,

I bought the raviolis last week at Wegman's, then solicited ideas of what kind of sauce to serve them with. (oops, is that a dangling participle?) There were three I was interested in so I'm going to try the Pink Sauce this time.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.

Re: Nov. 22nd Dinner??? (Sunday) BarbaraS Daphne,[br][br]I bou...
Oh, okay, I thought you had already made them with the pink sauce....OOPS! It sure sounds yummy!
Daphne

Re: Nov. 22nd Dinner??? (Sunday) Gourmet_Mom Oh, okay, I thought ...
Pork medallions with a white wine/cucumber sauce---------this is really easy and something Peter could handle with his problems!!! Served with a baked potato with the usual accompaniments and a little bit of macadamia nut brittle ice cream for dessert. He seems comfortable at the moment---tomorrow is another day!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy

Re: Nov. 22nd Dinner??? (Sunday) Roxanne 21 Pork medallions with...
Derek and I are heading into Palm Springs today and will have steaks tonight at The Falls steak house.

Re: Nov. 22nd Dinner??? (Sunday) DFen911 Derek and I are head...
OOOPS, forgot to add....HAPPY ANNIVERSARY JEAN AND ROY!!!!!!
Daphne

Re: Nov. 22nd Dinner??? (Sunday) Gourmet_Mom OOOPS, forgot to add...
thank you everyone - we bought each other an AllClad 1-qt. saucier pot. Love it.

And we did have one bottle of champagne downstairs - the last bottle of Schramsburg Cremant....long time before we'll buy more of this, it's gotten so expensive.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Nov. 22nd Dinner??? (Sunday) Gourmet_Mom OOOPS, forgot to add...
Oh wow!! Happy Anniversary!!!

Barbara
Nov. 22nd Dinner??? (Sunday)