Well, I found a recipe I thought would be interesting to try, but it called for mint extract, and our stores don't have that - only vanilla and almond extracts and imitation brandy and rum flavourings (don't see the point of those last two: they cost more than the real thing!).

Of course, many extracts can be made simply by putting a bunch of whatever it is into some vodka (or other alcohol) for a while, but have any of YOU ever made mint extract (not just vanilla, et al)? If so, how did you make it (especially the ratio of vodka to fresh mint leaves), and what were your opinions of the results versus the store-bought stuff?

Fresh peppermint AND spearmint ARE easily available here, so if this can work well enough, it would certainly be worth doing.

Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Homemade mint extract? labradors Well, I found a reci...
Labs, have you tried the drug store? Seems like someone once mentioned getting either the extract or oils of both peppermint and spearmint there. Ask your druggist. If you can get the oil, I think you can sub. My Meyer Lemon Ricotta Cookies recipe calls for lemon extract (1/2 t) or lemon oil (1 t). I figure peppermint would be the same exchange.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Homemade mint extract? Gourmet_Mom Labs, have you tried...
Good idea, Daphne. Had heard about that, but had forgotten. Either way, considering the prices of extracts, I could get a LOT more with even a middle-range-priced bottle of vodka, let alone with a cheap bottle. In fact, a 30ml (that's only two tablespoons) bottle of almond extract is only $1.50 more than a 750ml (that's a fifth) bottle of Smirnoff!

Re: Homemade mint extract? labradors Good idea, Daphne. ...
I'd forgotten all about this Daphne, but now I remember I bought essence of mint when the kids were babies and had colic (cholic?? sp?). And, I did get it at the drug store.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Homemade mint extract? labradors Good idea, Daphne. ...
Labs, I make my own vanilla, and CI found that cheap vodka works as well as the good stuff for extract, if that helps you any.

PJ
PJ

Re: Homemade mint extract? pjcooks Labs, I make my own ...
PJ, thanks for that info! So the cheap stuff works just as well, huh? I almost bought a bottle of the good stuff tonight, but decided to wait. Lucky I did!
Daphne

Re: Homemade mint extract? Gourmet_Mom PJ, thanks for that ...
I was a little confused about the comments re extracts and oils. I find that oils are more powerful than extracts, so if I use 1 tsp. extract, I would only need 1/2 tsp. of oil and similar for an emulsion. I get the citrus oil from KAF.
This might help you with the proportions.
12-14 tablespoons fresh or 6 teaspoons dried, well crumpled mint, peppermint, or spearmint leaves or 2-3 teaspoons pure mint or peppermint extract
3 cups vodka
1 teaspoon glycerine (optional) but nice for sipping
1 cup sugar syrup*-see below (for creme de menthe add 2 cups)

Instructions
With fresh or dried leaves: steep the leaves in vodka for 10 days and shake the bottle occasionally. Strain and filter. Be sure to press all the juices from the leaves with a spoon against the strainer. Mature 2 weeks. With the extract: combine all ingredients. Shake well. Mature 24 hours minimum. A week or 2 will enhance the flavoring. If any of these recipes results in too weak a mint flavor, add more of the extract or leaves and repeat the steeping, straining, and maturing procedures. Should any globules of oil form on the surface of the liqueur, remove with a bit of blotting paper or paper toweling, dabbing them gently. Seal in a decorative decanter.

Re: Homemade mint extract? Cubangirl I was a little confu...
Thanks! Looks like just the information I need - and no, I wouldn't even THINK about using Grey Goose, or the like, for this.

Re: Homemade mint extract? labradors Thanks! Looks like ...
Ding, ding, ding! Daphne gets a prize!

When I checked one pharmacy for mint extract or oil, the other day, they didn't have it, but that is the big-chain pharmacy with many locations in town, so they may not always have that kind of thing.

Today, however, I tried the biggest of the independent, non-chain pharmacies - a place known for having things that many other places don't have, and they had "mint essence." Here, it's difficult to nail down a translation, since the word esencia - or "essence" - tends to be used instead of extracto - or "extract," so this MAY be a pure extract, or it may be artificial. Either way, it was there, and it was cheap (72 cents for a one-ounce bottle), so I bought two of them.

When I try this in that recipe I mentioned, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again, everyone!

Re: Homemade mint extract? labradors Ding, ding, ding! D...
Well done, Labs! I'm glad you found it.
Daphne
Homemade mint extract?