I'll start this off - I hope there were others cooking it other than Labs and me.

We really enjoyed every part of this dinner!

Ruby Slippers –

[Image: RubySlippers1.jpg]

not a sweet drink, but so very tasty. Didn’t have red sugar, so used regular granulated. The only thing I don’t like about the recipe is, it makes more than one bottle of champagne worth of mix and you can’t refrigerate the cranberry mix, it sets up. But, maybe it could be warmed up before using again. Darn, wish I’d hung on to it now and tried that.

Chipotle Chicken Tostadas –

[Image: ChixTostadas1.jpg]

WOW! This was the best of a wonderful dinner. For those who don’t like really hot food, you might back off on the chipotles and chili powder a little, but we found with the avocado ‘salsa’ it was just perfect.

Black Bean Cakes –

[Image: BlkBeanCake1.jpg]

Again, we both really liked this especially when you got a little of every flavor in one bite. It all goes together perfectly. And it all went great with Harbinger’s Pillar Point Porter. Great dinner. I’ll give it overall a 9+

I’ll make all three again, that’s for sure.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Jan. 18th Dinner Review cjs I'll start this off ...
Wonderful choices, Jean. I made only the tostadas since there would have been too many other things to buy for the others, especially since I was also preparing my birthday dinner, but I do plan to try the Black Bean Cakes soon.

The tostadas called for flour tortillas, so I made my own.

The "avocado 'salsa'," as Jean called it, was really a guacamole, although the recipe didn't call it that. Interestingly enough, it's the first guacamole I've really liked. Generally speaking, I'm not a big fan of avocados, but don't hate them completely. In fact, I usually like just a plain slice of avocado much more than the guacamole mixture. Most of the time, however, the avocados I have used have been the big, lighter-green variety. Right now, the smaller, dark Hass avocados are in the markets for fifty cents each, so that's what I got, and it was DELICIOUS in the guacamole used in these tostadas. Now, I'm actually eager to get more of the Hass avocados - not just for use with more of these tostadas, but also to use the guacamole from this recipe with other dishes. This has also made me interested in trying some other Hass avocado recipes I have seen, namely: Grilled Avocado Quesadilla, Avocado Salad Flatbread Sandwich, and Hass Avocado Tortilla Soup.

The chicken mixture was EXACTLY the right level of spiciness for me, and was especially tasty because I cooked up some drumsticks and thighs I had in the freezer and used all dark meat.

Of course, as usual, I used the Honduran Crema instead of sour cream, and it was great on there.

No doubt, this was a make-it-again-soon-10 that will go into my rotation for regular use.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Jan. 18th Dinner Review labradors Wonderful choices, J...
"guacamole" a word that was in la la land while I was trying to think of it. It was indeed a guacamole.

Wasn't that just a great combination of flavors on the tostadas, labs???

I should reiterate, all the recipes are from Issue #60 (the illusive Issue #60 )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Jan. 18th Dinner Review cjs "guacamole" a word t...
Quote:

Wasn't that just a great combination of flavors on the tostadas, labs???

Perfect. The guacamole base mellowed out some of the spiciness of the chicken mixture, but it wasn't just a mellowing - it was a synergy that elevated the finished product well beyond the level of any one part of it.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Jan. 18th Dinner Review labradors [blockquote]Quote:[h...
well said, you silver-tongued devil....
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Jan. 18th Dinner Review cjs well said, you silve...
"- it was a synergy that elevated the finished product well beyond the level of any one part of it." Well said!

I wasn't able to do the Ruby Sippers again. The syrup I made at Christmas dried up, and didn't think of the microwave trick. Oh well! I can testify to how good they are, though! We make these regularly for special occasions. I'll probably do them again for Valentine's Day.

We LOVED the Chipotle Chicken Tostados! William couldn't stay out of them! I have been asked to make these again. William doesn't give out 10s very often, but he gave these a 10+ Great choice!

[Image: DSC03299.jpg]

The flavors for the bean cakes was good, but my "cakes" didn't hold together. I'm thinking mashing half the beans instead of 1/4 would have worked better. I didn't get a picture of this part of dinner, because it was a disaster on the plate. William is not very keen on this kind of thing, so I didn't even ask him to rate it. I'd give a 7 and will probably not make it again.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Jan. 18th Dinner Review Gourmet_Mom "- it was a synergy ...
WOW! I don't remembe this at all!! but what fun we must have had!!
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Jan. 18th Dinner Review cjs WOW! I don't remembe...
I'm guessing this is not the Tostadoes you were looking for?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Jan. 18th Dinner Review Gourmet_Mom I'm guessing this is...
Those black bean cakes/Mexican rice/slaw are so delicious. Jean, your description was perfect, "when you got a little of every flavor in one bite".

[Image: Cameronesrellenos.jpg]
Jan. 18th Dinner Review