On another forum someone directed me to a meat market in Valley City, North Dakota to find some of my meat needs that our local butcher shop won't supply.

I think I mentioned that I happily came home with my pork belly and "round" bacon. We tried the bacon this morning - it was good - not as good as home smoked, but good.

Thought I'd share.

[Image: DSCN4002_edited.jpg]

It wanted to curl up in the pan - so I wrapped the bottom of another pan in foil and put it on top. That worked.
[Image: DSCN4006_edited.jpg]

The bacon came out nice and crisp,and made really good egg sammies on home made english muffins. I was really surprised that there was less than a teaspoon of fat in the pan.
[Image: DSCN4009.jpg]
So, this has me wondering if we couldn't do the same thing, stuffing chopped bacon into a big sausage casing and ??? I'd smoke it again, but who knows.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Round Bacon Harborwitch On another forum som...
What an interesting product! Looks yummy, Sharon!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Round Bacon Gourmet_Mom What an interesting ...
Sharon I'm sure you wanted to curl up in the pan...who wouldn't with good product but I'm sure glad you didn't

Looks really yummy btw!! MmMmMm bacon

Re: Round Bacon DFen911 Sharon I'm sure you ...
To stop it from curling up in the pan, maybe you could do what works for regular bacon: bake it at 350F on a baking sheet lined with baking paper or parchment instead of broiling or frying it.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Round Bacon Harborwitch On another forum som...
Yummmmmm bacon. But round bacon would not go well with my square eggs.

[Image: squareEgg.jpg]

Re: Round Bacon IcyMist Yummmmmm bacon. But...
Why not? Wouldn't there be a certain feng shui about it? Of course, you'd probably need triangular toast to complete the set.

Hmmmm... Another interesting option would be to twist regular bacon into a Möbius Strip. LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Round Bacon labradors Why not? Wouldn't t...
[Image: lol5.gif]

Re: Round Bacon IcyMist [img]http://smilies....
Kind of interestng - I was going to suggest baking it also to keep the curling down, that and cut into the rind here and there - but you know all that.

What is it? pressed pork? looks almost like round spam.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Round Bacon cjs Kind of interestng -...
Jean it's chopped bacon forced into a large sausage casing and then formed.

I'm so spoiled by our triple smoked (did I mention saving and drying your corn cobs for smoking?) bacon - this was kind of flat bacony flavor. I am seriously thinking about trying it and then smoking that whole thing.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Round Bacon Harborwitch Jean it's chopped ba...
"did I mention saving and drying your corn cobs for smoking?)" yes, or heard it somewhere, but haven't done it - how much corn can we eat?? I love keeping the cobs for Kelly's corn stock. decisions, decisions.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Round Bacon