I am having an old friend over for lunch in a few weeks. We will be spending the day working on a book project and I wanted to make something special, but easy.

The first thing that came to mind was the C@H Ham and Egg Bistro Sandwich. If you remember, it was a bed of spring mix, a toasted french bread slice topped with a slice of ham and a poached egg.

I want this to be easy and pre-prepared. So, I thought if I pre-poached the egg, until not quite done, then when we were ready to eat I would immerse the egg into simmering water to reheat. The ham too.

Would that work? Or should I just poach it on the spot?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Question for the cooks here... luvnit I am having an old f...
I've not done this - the egg ahead of time, but I don't see why it wouldn't work if you just don't want to be bothered at the last minute. Some establishments do do this, so it is (again) doable.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Question for the cooks here... cjs I've not done this -...
I would just make a quiche. Just a thought.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!

Re: Question for the cooks here... chef_Tab I would just make a ...
The dish sounds great. I've done them ahead of time. I put them on a sheet of wax paper in a container, covered, until I needed them. Since they are already set, put them in water that is at a low boil (higher thqan qa simmer), as you want them to cook quickly, yet not get overdone.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Question for the cooks here... Lorraine The dish sounds grea...
Well, look who's back in the neighborhood!!! Hi there, stranger.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Question for the cooks here... cjs Well, look who's bac...
Maybe it would work if you put the not-quite-done eggs into ice water to stop any further cooking, but without that, they would probably wind up with solid yolks due to the residual heat (and if you really want a hard yolk, just use hard-boiled eggs, since poached eggs are supposed to have liquid yolks).

Considering how little time it takes to poach eggs, and that you'd be reheating them in simmering water anyway, if I were to make this dish ahead of time, I'd still do the actual egg poaching just before serving.

On the other hand, I would NOT choose this dish for this type of make-ahead and holding. Instead, I'd make mini Monte Cristo sandwiches and (depending upon the hold time) hold them in a warm oven and/or reheat them in a medium oven.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Question for the cooks here... labradors Maybe it would work ...
Thanks, Labs. I forgot about the ice bath. Hi, Jean.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.

Re: Question for the cooks here... Lorraine Thanks, Labs. I for...
I always poach eggs in the microwave and that doesn't take but a very short time.
  Re: Question for the cooks here... Lorraine Thanks, Labs. I for...
Yeah good idea about the ice bath. I forgot about that. Thanks I will add that to the plan.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Re: Question for the cooks here... luvnit Yeah good idea about...
I wonder if the yolk would coagulate?
Question for the cooks here...