Okay, I had a long list of recipes I wanted to try, but couldn't get my hands on flank steak. So, the last trip to Sam's, I noticed they had flank...two in a pack for a really good deal. I figured it was time to try those recipes.

I grilled two of the steaks (had "the employee AND YS here that night) using a recipe Jean posted for Black Diamond Flank Steak but found it a bit too sweet for our taste...good but needing a little tweaking.

Then I tried it in a Chimichuri Flank Steak Fajita recipe. Again, I need to tweak this one if I decide to use it again. I'm just not sure we're fajita people at this point. I may try it one more time...slicing the steak BEFORE marinating and grilling. (ONLY because of tonight's success.)

Tonight, I used it for my Korean Beef recipe. My recipe is a little different from the Bulgogi recipes and other Korean Beef recipes I've seen. The main difference, mine doesn't include ginger. While I like the traditional recipes, we have always loved the marinade for this particular recipe. (I got it years ago from an old friend.) It never mattered what cheap cut I used...we LOVED it! I've used everything from rib eye to round steak, and everything in between. One cut I had never tried before was flank steak.

OMG...it was like eating soy sauce flavored butter! I will never go back. This recipe will never be made again without flank steak. This is probably unnecessary for you all, but I'm posting it anyway. I started at the thickest end of the steak and sliced the meat at the sharpest angle I could achieve. The meat was only marinated about 6 hours...I usually marinate it for at least 24 hours. To be honest, I think overnight would have been overkill in this case...unless I planned on eating it "raw". It was absolutely AMAZING!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Flank Steak Gourmet_Mom Okay, I had a long l...
This is my version of London Broil--it has no Asian influence--a wonderfully savory recipe for true flank steak--

Marinade
3/4C olive oil
1/3C red wine vinegar
4 & 1/2T Dijon mustard
4 large garlic cloves, minced
2 large shallots or green onions, minced
4T coarsley ground black pepper
1T minced fresh thyme or 1t dried
1T minced fresh rosemary, or 1t dried
1t salt plus more later if needed
3 flank steaks (about 1& 1/4 lbs each
fresh thyme
fresh rosemary
fresh ground pepper

Whisk first 9 ingredients to blend. Pour over steaks, turn to coat and marinate overnite (a big plastic bag is good). Shake or turn during marinading.
Heat grill to med high heat. Remove steaks from marinade and wipe most of the marinade off--add fresh ground pepper to all sides. Grill 4 min./side for med rare. Thinly slice steaks across the grain, on a bias--garnish with thyme & rosemary and serve.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".

Re: Flank Steak Old Bay This is my version o...
So, where's the marinade recipe, MS Daphne??? Sounds like a good one to try.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Flank Steak cjs So, where's the mari...
I think flank steak is the best! It's hard to find here - but when we see it we grab it.

I'd like to see that recipe too. I have one I've been using for years, but a new one is always exciting.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!

Re: Flank Steak Harborwitch I think flank steak ...
It's very simple:

2 Tbsp. sesame seeds, toasted
1 pinch salt
2 1/2 lbs. sirloin steak, sliced 1/8" thick
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped (I usually use up to 6)
6 Tbsp. soy sauce, low sodium
1 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
generous grinding of black pepper

Like I said, I've used a variety of beef and it's always good. But from now on, I'll be using flank if I can get it.
Daphne

Re: Flank Steak Gourmet_Mom It's very simple:[br...
Daphne, did you grill it after the marinade? Sounds really good.
~Heidi, SAHM, self-taught chef and born foodie
my blog - http://thelifeofadoctorswife.blogspot.com

Re: Flank Steak Vanquisher Daphne, did you gril...
We just sauteed some onions and heated some beef broth--thinly sliced some leftover flank steak and made French Dips for lunch--delicious!! Another reason to cook flank.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".

Re: Flank Steak Old Bay We just sauteed some...
Heidi, yes. I grill it. It doesn't need to cook very long.
Daphne

Re: Flank Steak Gourmet_Mom Heidi, yes. I grill...
I picked up a pkg. of flank steaks at costco, so I'll be trying this this weekend. Thanks Daphne. Sounds so good and we're supposed to have some nice days coming up.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Flank Steak cjs I picked up a pkg. o...
We sure do love it here. I'll be anxious to hear what you think. The Beef and Broccoli was "okay" last night, but nothing in comparison.
Daphne
Flank Steak