Last night I made the South American Butternut Squash Stew with Roasted Seeds. I made it because it looked like I could easily make a double batch and make half of it vegan for my daughter who is coming today for a visit.

I will have to say I thought this stew would be 'fine' and that we would like it. We ate the meat version last night topped with feta and the roasted seeds. It was sooooo good. Both hubby and I were surpised at how much we really loved it.

The sharp feta and seeds really made it taste wonderful. I roasted the seeds as directed and I used a 'restaurant' grind pepper on the seeds, they were so good. I could have sat at ate just those all night they were so delicious.
This is a definite keeper for our family.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Squash Stew - Review luvnit Last night I made th...
Sounds good Laura. I am trying to plan dinner for tomorrow and since it will be cold and rainy, this may be a good choice. Is the recipe in the Soups and Stews book?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!

Re: Squash Stew - Review chef_Tab Sounds good Laura. I...
It's in issue No. 79 from February 2010. I would have taken a photo, but we ate it too fast!
Laura

Re: Squash Stew - Review luvnit It's in issue No. 79...
This one is going on the menu list (as Daphne would say), that's for sure. Cis and I did an Ethiopian dinner a few years ago and it was just wonderful. And, I haven't repeated yet.

This sounds so good - thanks Laura.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Squash Stew - Review cjs This one is going on...
Thanks Laura, this sounds like something we would like also.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Squash Stew - Review Mare749 Thanks Laura, this s...
I'll have to take a look at this one. Butternut Squash is one of William's favorites. Thanks for the review, Laura.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Squash Stew - Review Gourmet_Mom I'll have to take a ...
I made this tonight and it is fabulous. I subbed in black beans for green beans....it seemed like the right thing to do. We absolutely love this dish. The roasted squash seeds are a must, in fact I wish there were more seeds in the squash. I also used chirizo instead of sausage. Thank you so much for your review, Laura, I may have overlooked this otherwise.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!

Re: Squash Stew - Review chef_Tab I made this tonight ...
I am so glad you like it Theresa! I agree, those seeds are like 'gold' we are rationing them for the leftovers. They absolutely make the dish. I will try this roasting method and seasoning when we do pumpkin seeds this fall. And yes, I wish there were more seeds in those darn squash!
Laura
  Re: Squash Stew - Review cjs This one is going on...
That Ethiopian dinner was incredible. I'll have to try this stew.

Then it's time to pull out the Soul of a New Cuisine and play with it a little more.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Squash Stew - Review