Well I store most of our veggies, carrots, celery, green onions and the like in the fridge. However, onions and potatoes I just don't have the room for or even know what to do with.

How do you all store these staple vegetables in your kitchen. I know you aren't supposed to do store them together. But I would like some ideas if you have any.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura

Storing your Onions and Potatoes luvnit Well I store most of...
I keep them in a closet off our carport. It is cool in there and mostly dark. I also keep shallots and garlic there too. Usually works. I do have to be careful when we have freezing temps.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.

Re: Storing your Onions and Potatoes esgunn I keep them in a clo...
I have them in separate baskets in a cupboard. Dark and cool is the key and keep an apple in your potatoes and they won't get any "eyes" growing

Re: Storing your Onions and Potatoes DFen911 I have them in separ...
The problem, here, is that the only "cool" is the fridge unless one just happens to have air conditioning, so I don't buy many of these things unless I'll be using them within a relatively short time.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Storing your Onions and Potatoes labradors The problem, here, i...
Well that is going to be my online search today to find a great way to store my onions and potatoes.

I will update you all with what I find. I still wanna know what you all do, incase it will work for me.

Here are some ways I found at an organizing blogspot.

The light colored ones are from a store called Dibor. The dark willow hopper is from Bed Bath and Beyond.
[Image: potato-onion-shallot-hoppers.png] [Image: potato-basket.png] [Image: Potato-Onion-bins.jpg]

I kinda like these with the zipper on the side, but I wouldn't really need a special bag to store them in. Now my problem is, "Where do I put this cute bag?"
[Image: potato.jpg]

Now these are okay. But again, same problem, where do you put them?

[Image: potato-onion-bin-pine.jpg] [Image: vegetable-potato-onion-storage.png] [Image: potato-onion-bin.jpg]

Honestly, I am not trying to spend any money unless its something really practical and works well. I'd store them in a paper bag if it works and I have a spot for it.

Oh now I found this! I kinda like it because it looks cute. But I need to find an area to store them and if I do that I really can use anything to put them in.

[Image: page4-3.jpg]

Can you store onions and potatoes next to each other??
Laura
  Re: Storing your Onions and Potatoes labradors The problem, here, i...
My pantry is fairly dark and cool, so a large supply is kept there of potatoes, onions, shallots, etc. But, I also have a three-tiered basket hanging in the kitchen with a few of each for handy use.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Storing your Onions and Potatoes cjs My pantry is fairly ...
Well after seeing those cute ways to store onions and potatoes which Laura posted, I am embarrassed to say that I store mine in the basement, in net bags which oranges came in... I store them in separate bags, but they are close in proximity (2'?)
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com

Re: Storing your Onions and Potatoes foodfiend Well after seeing th...
That another question I have Vicci. How far apart should they be? And how cool is it supposed to be?

You are right, these are all cute containers. I store my onions is an old, very large sour cream container (from sam's club). My potatoes stay in the same bag I got them in the store. I think I am really trying to find a location rather than a container. Really I think I need to reorganize my kitchen cupboards.
Laura

Re: Storing your Onions and Potatoes luvnit That another questio...
I love all those containers, Laura, but I don't have room either for the container. In the winter, we keep ours on the sun porch in a three tiered rattan basket but when it gets hot I have to keep them in the fridge - anywhere that is out in the open here in the coastal area attracts those palmetto bugs -yuck. I would like to know an alternate place as well. But those cotainers are so sweet!!

Re: Storing your Onions and Potatoes I love all those con...
They don't really last very long here...I only buy potatoes in 5 pound bags and onions by how many I'll need the coming week. In the winter, I will keep the onions in a bowl on the counter and the potatoes in the ventilated bag they come in, usually in the laundry room. Like Sonja, I keep everything in the fridge...not only palmetto bugs are a problem but also fruit flies.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Storing your Onions and Potatoes