T.G.I.F. Dinner, 5/7
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for today?

I have a half chicken thawing out and I have some morel butter in the freezer and it's supposed to be a beautiful day (so I can quite whining at Daphne's descriptions of their weather ), so will probably grill it.

And, I can't get the darn chocolate ice cream Lorraine had out of my mind.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 5/7 by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Joe and Rena will be in this afternoon and dinner will be around 6. I made a big pot of my mom's spaghetti sauce (gravy!) yesterday so dinner will be antipasti, spaghetti, meatballs, hot italian sausage, tossed salad, and italian bread. For dessert we will have pizzelles and cherry, orange and almond biscotti with espresso and maybe even a
small glass of Frangelico. Not sure if any of the wines Joe sent are appropriate with pasta, so we may be making a run to the wine shop for more.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 5/7 by Mare749 (Joe and Rena will be...)
I want to eat at Maryann's house tonight!! Have fun!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 5/7 by cjs (I want to eat at Mar...)
I want to eat at Maryann's too. I am sitting on my couch watching all of my stuff get loaded onto a huge truck. My last day in my house, I turn over the keys today. Glad it is sold, but I loved this house more than any other. I haven't been getting much sleep this week. The brain keeps churning. Can't wait to get back to posting and cooking. I have missed you all this week.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 5/7 by chef_Tab (I want to eat at Mar...)
I'll grill coconut-marinated chicken kebabs and make pineapple rice as a side IF the weather holds out (we're expecting storms later this evening, but these things always seem to come in earlier than forecast).

Theresa, we've missed you, too! Good luck today!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 5/7 by foodfiend (I'll grill coconut-m...)
Oh Theresa, what a bittersweet day you will have! We sure have missed you around the neighborhood.

Well, finally decided what to have with our grilled chicken - Garden Fresh Pasta (tortellini) Salad with black beans.

And, maybe a cocktail instead of wine late this afternoon.

OH, and speaking of this afternoon, we are having a visitor in port this afternoon and until 11 p.m. tonight (read lots of shoppers in the area.... ) The Holland America's Zuiderdam will be docking at 2 p.m. So, we'll have a drink in one hand and the binoculars in the other.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 5/7 by cjs (Oh Theresa, what a b...)
Sounds like a fun evening Jean! The movers have finished with the lower level and are working on the main level now. Unfortunately, they gashed one of the walls downstairs so I had to run to Home Depot to buy spackle and supplies (mine were already loaded onto the truck) and do a quick repair. Later I will add a coat of paint. I was planning to tip well, but I am feeling a bit grumpy at this point. I am just exhausted and missing hubby and my kitties. I guess I should count my blessings after Sharon's move. Arriving to a frozen tundra with no heat or water as I remember.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 5/7 by chef_Tab (Sounds like a fun ev...)
Wow! The apartment really smells good right now!

Went to the meat market for some brisket to make corned beef, and they had a nice piece that was four pounds. Since the recipe I use for corned beef is for two and a half pounds, that left me with and extra, one-and-a-half-pound piece.

Of course, a lot of recipes are for only one pound so, on a lark, I decided to Google for "1 1/2 lbs beef brisket," and found THIS recipe that sounded tasty.

The only thing in the recipe that I didn't have was a cascabel chile, so I substituted a different kind of dried chile that I already had.

So far, I haven't been able to find out what kind of chile this is in English. The label says "Chile Chocolate," but I can't find any other references to that name anywhere. It does, however, look like a cayenne pepper to me, so that's my guess. If so, this brisket is going to have a little more zip that if I had used a cascabel chile.

Whatever it is, it certainly smells delicious!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 5/7 by chef_Tab (Sounds like a fun ev...)
Once the heater caught up we had heat - but the water was an issue for soooooooooo long. I talked to the bank today, it snowed heavy wet slushy stuff. Hmmmmmmm here we are in the sunshine and I wish I was there to see the snow.

We're going to Bill and Susan's for dinner again tonight. Francois is going to cook something with lamb - don't know what. We have the cheese curds to make Poutine so maybe we'll do that too. We're on our way to Delicato winery to get some wine.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 5/7 by Harborwitch (Once the heater caug...)
Just confirmed that the chile chocolate IS cayenne. All of a sudden, I realised I had not really searched in Spanish, yet, so I Googled for qué es "chile chocolate", and found a Spanish-language page that listed the Latin name of chile chocolate as C. annuum var. acuminatum. From there, a Google search for that name led to THIS page, which mentioned, "Cayenne pepper can be made both from the Capsicum annuum acuminatum and the Capsicum annuum frutescens."
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?