Oyster Educate Me!
  Re: (...)
Seeing Jean's post about cruise line ports of call, the Hubby and I will be in Seattle in the near future and hope to get in a late dinner the night we arrive before embarkation.

A friend of mine who lives near the city recommended Elliott's Oyster House on the Pier. It has a gazillion types of raw oysters for their offerings. He doesn't eat oysters, but his In-Laws who do, love this place. Here's the website for their menu:

http://www.elliottsoysterhouse.com/food.cfm

And their oyster list:

http://www.elliottsoysterhouse.com/pdf/O...ing081.pdf

Oh baby, I would love to try the Belon oysters. But do you think they would be worth it even though they're raised in Pacific water and not from Brittany, France? I've had Kumamoto oysters, and while they're tasty, they're kind of smallish. I'm used to Blue Points in the East, about a half dollar size, (edit for spelling)neutral(end edit) in taste and easy to the bite, and with a slightly salty liquor. So I have absoutlely no idea what to order, and I want to make it count!

I would appreciate all opinions on any oysters anyone has tried that may be on that list.

And also, if we get in early enough, I'd love to try the Bairdi Crab legs. I've never heard of this crab before. Any opinions? I would love to do a whole dungeness crab, but as I've only had the legs before, I wonder if there's parts of the body that one doesn't eat, like a whole lobster?

Jean, I've looked up the whole geography map with Google and you really live in a beautiful place in the NW!! When I requested to be able to dip my tootsies in the Pacific Ocean, I didn't realize it would be a 2 hour drive from Seattle!!

Thanks in advance!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Oyster Educate Me! by BarbaraS (Seeing Jean's post a...)
I can't help you at all but I can't wait to hear the responses. It all sounds sooo good! Have fun!

PJ
PJ
Well, that was a mistake...why did I look? Barbara, I envy your trip AND your dining experience! That menu sounds WONDERFUL! I'd be hard pressed on choosing dinner! Since I've only had East Coast and Gulf oysters, I'm no help at all, though. Have a great time!!!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Well, I don't eat oysters - or crab. What a shame for living in the place that has some of the best of both! I have heard Pen Cove are supposed to be a treat.

I am sure Jean knows a lot about pacific Oysters. Have fun on your cruise! And your dinner!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Oyster Educate Me! by esgunn (Well, I don't eat oy...)
We like to go to Elliots - you'll certainly be able to get a wonderful selection of our bounty from around here.

I'm only familiar with Dungeness, King and Snow, so had to look up Bairdi Crab - evidently it is similar to the Snow crab. My favorite will always be Dungeness with King right behind it.

Oysters - you sent me looking again. When I think oysters, I usually think Hoods Canal oyster because that's what we usually get around here - those and Penn Cove. But, I had no idea there were so many under the heading of 'Hoods Canal oysters' - there were so many sub categories of them.....who knew? We used to always get the Hoods Canal oysters fresh because of our friend Bill (who died last year) lived right across the street from an oyster bed. From there to their grill - oh my!!!

At our farmers market I would imagine what we get are Snow Creek - I did not know that. (I'm getting an education here also, Barbara!)

Penn Cove are probably the ones most often offered at restaurants in the Seattle area. What fun you're going to have! And you're going to sail right by our house. Can you work in an extra 2 days in your vacation and come out to Port Angeles? We'd love to show you around. Be sure and let me know the day you're leaving, so we can wave at you as you go by - usually the ships go by about 8 p.m. (give or take) and come in early morning, ~5 a.m.

AND, if you stop and see us, you can dip your tootsies in the Straits of Juan de Fuca!! How historical would that be!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Oyster Educate Me! by cjs (We like to go to Ell...)
I have a great book--"A Geography of Oysters", by Rowan Jacobsen--see if it is in your library--He treats my gulf oysters rather poorly, but really covers Atlantic and Pacific varities well, with tasting notes and all. I love oysters--have them with a crisp dry Chablis or a very dry gin martini--and think of me!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Oyster Educate Me! by Old Bay (I have a great book-...)
We always go to Brooklyn Bar when we are in Seattle. They have a great happy hour with a drink and 1/2 dozen oysters for $6. (prices may have gone up a bit, but we were there last summer). They have an amazing assortment and they'll say things like from the east shore of Smith cove. I like them with a squeeze of lemon juice and 2 drops of tobascco sauce - yum.

Sally
  Re: Re: Oyster Educate Me! by cjs (We like to go to Ell...)
Quote:

Can you work in an extra 2 days in your vacation and come out to Port Angeles? We'd love to show you around. Be sure and let me know the day you're leaving, so we can wave at you as you go by - usually the ships go by about 8 p.m. (give or take) and come in early morning, ~5 a.m.

AND, if you stop and see us, you can dip your tootsies in the Straits of Juan de Fuca!! How historical would that be!

TWO EXTRA DAYS?!! I would LOVE that(!!), but we can't. I'm dicing it close with work now. I was just out for 4 days with a siezed up back and used all my sick time. And my vacay time is next to nil.

So Jean, do you like Elliott's? It looks so good!! I'll be hoping we get in time for dinner and a whole Dungeness crab and oysters. Hope springs eternal. I've never had a whole crab before, not even the soft shell blues that run in the Chesapeake during the season. So are there any parts I need to know about to avoid eating or are you going to sit there quietly but laughing internally??

Looking at the oyster menu, I'm leaning on trying the Belon for a half dozen, but I will try your suggestion with the native Penn Groves. When in Rome...

Thanks for all the help from everyone!!

Happy Mom's Day to all!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Oyster Educate Me! by BarbaraS ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
"I've never had a whole crab before, " - well, I certainly do not want to rub it in, but at our house you could have as many whole crabs as your little heart desires........

All seafood will be cleaned and ready for consumption at any restaurant you go to. I guess once in a while, you might be offered the head which will contain the 'tamale' and that is an acquired taste.

"The yellow substance is the crab tamale - also known as crab mustard - which is a fatty, quasi-gelatinous mass with a mild, but pronounced earthy flavor. It is found in the head of the crab."

Yes, have been to Elliot's and we did like it, but personally my favorite places in Seattle are Tom Douglas' restaurants -
http://tomdouglas.com/

Sally mentioned Brooklyn Bar, but I'm not familiar with this one, but it may be great.

There are so many great ones in the area, it's so hard to choose.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com