What I did on my vacation - just venting.
  Re: (...)
Well the trip to CA was wonderful - and I'll post more, and some pictures later. The trip home was amazing scenery wise.

We got home at 1:30 AM, the mice had had a party while we were gone. We still don't have all that mess cleaned up - geeze; they had a good ol' time in the kitchen (I can just see the dance party and the search party looking for food), and then the reprobates even used our bed. Had to change sheets and all before bed at 2:30am!

Of course two weeks of un-use and the water heater had to be drained and flushed (???????) Still not perfect, but ok. I just hope we can get that cleared up.

So - we had to go to the store today. I had 15 items on the produce list and only managed to get 9. I couldn't believe it - two grocery stores, 9 days of menus - and we only managed enough for 4 dinners. No Italian parsley, no cilantro, basil, Swiss chard, decent asparagus, and on and on. It will take, more than likely, a trip to Bismarck to actually get veggies. In one store the veggies on display looked like the stuff I tossed from my veggie bins after the trip. The other store had some of those too, and anything that looked fresh was priced through the roof. Geeze. We're going to get an Aerogarden for herbs - and, this is for publication - we're seriously seriously working on how to get back to CA.

I cannot cook like this!!!!

Thanks for listening - I just needed to vent a bit.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: What I did on my vacation - just venting. by Harborwitch (Well the trip to CA ...)
I don't know what to say, except I quote Og Mandino, "this too shall pass". You will be well.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: What I did on my vacation - just venting. by Old Bay (I don't know what to...)
Thank you m'dear. I know it's just part of the "circle".

With the new agenda we're looking at there'll be no garden this year, and depending on how this all works - oh he!!, there are so many options right now we have no clue.

Of course, I forgot to mention that we now have the cat home from his "spa" vacation at the vet's. Any mouse that ventures into his arena will be very very sorry!
  Re: Re: What I did on my vacation - just venting. by Harborwitch (Thank you m'dear. I...)
Try a change--Davy Crockett, when he lost his election in Tenn. said "you all go to he!!, I'm going to Texas"--he did and died at the Alamo!! That is not always the way it turns out--come south--it really is better (and warmer) down here (and cheaper)--our economy is better--a little different attitude--you might like it.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: What I did on my vacation - just venting. by Old Bay (Try a change--Davy C...)
Good lord..well with the cat home maybe he can work on the mouse issue.

Could you drain the hot water heater before you leave so when you come home you just fill it up?

I'm sorry to hear about the produce issue too. I know that more often than not our store is out of basil and thyme and it's always when I need it for a special recipe.

Things will get better! I know you guys are going to knock right on thru this
  Re: Re: What I did on my vacation - just venting. by DFen911 (Good lord..well with...)
Quote:

veggies on display looked like the stuff I tossed from my veggie bins

That sound like when I lived in Northern Manitoba. The grocery store often dosplayed a sign apologizing for the state of the veggies. It sure limits what you cook. As for the mice, they love our 150 year old apartment. You would think our cat that lived outside all her life and relied on mice as her main source of food would catch them, but no, she lies on the couch and watches them run around. I finally bought these little sonic things that plug into the wall outlets. We are now down to one mouse that only surfaces occasionally. Good luck with them!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: What I did on my vacation - just venting. by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
"I finally bought these little sonic things that plug into the wall outlets." - We had those in the barn and I guess they really work, 'cause we didn't have mice (at least in the barn where we lived - there were mice in the other barn that the neighbor's cat nicely took care of.)

Oh Sharon & Bob - I'm so sorry to hear this news, I just hope you've kept a thorough diary, you'll probably never believe this past year in another 20 years without it!

Seeing all that at 1 a.m., I'd probably be hysterical and I don't do 'hysterical'
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What I did on my vacation - just venting. by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
We got those little sonic things all over the house. Grrrrrr. I think they get used to them. Barn cats! There's the trick. I somehow don't think the mice here are as disease ridden as the ones in CA - after all; any mouse that can survive winter in North Dakota has to be healthy and tough.

The veggie thing is the worst. I've had days where I've asked the produce manager to go find fresher items (3 or 4 at a time). It usually worked, if they had anything fresher.
  Re: Re: What I did on my vacation - just venting. by Harborwitch (We got those little ...)
Oh, Sharon...I feel for you! This past winter was better in regards to the mice, but LAST YEAR?!?!? OIY! They drove the dog CRAZY! No cat.

I can also relate to the produce. I have to drive 15 miles one way to get decent produce...luckily, if I make my list ahead, I can limit the drive by stopping on my way home from work. If not, I make do with what I can get here in our little local store. I have really fallen down on the job planning menus lately. I plan to remedy that problem really soon...hopefully this weekend.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What I did on my vacation - just venting. by Harborwitch (We got those little ...)
Oh my, Sharon, what a pain in the [censored]. Woops. I had a mouse in my station last year that lived behind my grill. darn thing was always running over my feet when I was cooking. The students noticed, of course and named him. We did catch him and released him far away. Safely and humanely, of course. This IS the University after all

PJ

I was just censored. How do they know I wasn't talking about a donkey
PJ