Lasagna Bolognese questions
  Re: (...)
Hello, I'm new to this board and have been interested in subscribing to the magazine. Yesterday I found the Lasagna Bolognese on the site and made it last night. I found the recipe to be very poorly written without adequate layering instructions (photo looks like a lot more layers than what seems to be in directions) and I can't find any oven temperature listed.

My question is whether or not this is a fluke or if many of the recipes in Cuisine At Home are this vague?

Other than that, I must say the lasagna was absolutely delicious. I ended up making three layers with the pasta, ricotta and parm on top. Covered it with foil and baked at 375 for half an hour and finished up uncovered.

The recipe is here. http://www.cuisineathome.com/main/recipe...asagna.php Has anyone else made it?
  Re: Lasagna Bolognese questions by Sarash (Hello, I'm new to th...)
Welcome Sarash! I have not made that particular lasagna recipe so I will not comment on it. I am a suscriber to the magazine and have never found the recipes to be vague, in fact the opposite. The recipes are written differently from what I was used to but it did not take me long to adapt. I find the instructions and photos quite helpful, in fact my cooking has become far more adventurous because of Cuisine at Home. The forum members here are invaluable to me. I have learned more in the past year and a half from this forum than in my 20 years of previous cooking. And there is more than recipes.... great friendships have developed. I have also purchased past volumes and most every cook book available from C@H, that is how much I love it. You may want to send for the introductory magazine, or purchase one at the store as a trial. Besides great ideas and fabulous recipes, there are NO ads! I hope you join us often. We are a fun group, if I may say so myself.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Lasagna Bolognese questions by chef_Tab (Welcome Sarash! I ha...)
Welcome Sarash! I echo what Theresa said...this is a great gifted group!

I don't think I've made that one, but there is an eight layer lasagna that is to DIE for! I'll see if I can find the link to where it has been reviewed and post it for you.

Here you go: 8 Layer Lasagna
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Lasagna Bolognese questions by Gourmet_Mom (Welcome Sarash! I e...)
Hello and welcome, Sarash! Enjoy the forum.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Lasagna Bolognese questions by labradors (Hello and welcome, S...)
Welcome. I have not made it. But I do remember others saying you needed a really big lasagna pan to get in the layers, and you had to use your hands to squish it down.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Lasagna Bolognese questions by esgunn (Welcome. I have not...)
Thank you all for the welcome. The lasagna Bolognese seems to be quite different from the 8 layered one, but I did pick up the 400 degree oven and that it wasn't covered. That would probably work well for the one I made that had Swiss chard in it. Again, it was a delicious lasagna recipe and we worked it out, I just wish the directions had been more concise and the oven temperature stated.
  Re: Re: Lasagna Bolognese questions by Sarash (Thank you all for th...)
Welcome to the forum!!! Try the 8 layer in CAH--we have done it many times--it is wonderful!!! We love the forum and the magazine--you will love it.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Lasagna Bolognese questions by Old Bay (Welcome to the forum...)
Welcome! Yes, you must try the 8 layer, you'll love it.

I need to make that again one of these days!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Lasagna Bolognese questions by Harborwitch (Welcome! Yes, you m...)
You are right, the online one omits the oven temp which is unusual for C@H since imho they have the clearest instructions and best pictures of all the cooking magazines with the possible exception of CI. However the directions were right, typical of lasagna. Start with the sauce, then pasta, ricotta, chard, sauce, other cheese, then same starting with pasta finishing with other cheese, then again pasta, ricotta and other cheese to finish. I have made a similar one using spinach instead of the chard. I always start with sauce, but also always add another small amount of sauce to last pasta layer before putting on last layer of cheese and then dot with butter.
I have found this forum to be a wonderful source of info. Wish I had discovered it long before I did.
  Re: Re: Lasagna Bolognese questions by Cubangirl (You are right, the o...)
I have one more bit of advice I had totally forgotten. I think it's on another thread about the 8 layer lasagna, I think. Anyway, here's what a figured out. I have never layered lasagna correctly. I thought there had to be an adequate amount of meat sauce/ricotta mix/cheese mix for each layer. What I figured out with the 8 layer recipe was that I needed to measure the layers to make it work out to 8 layers. What I learned was that you don't need much to make a layer. I felt like I was skimping, but it worked out in the end. While there was a see through layer of filling, and often less than that, it was enough. I realized you have to look at it as the whole. You have all the "stuff" in there, just separated by numerous sheets of pasta.

That being said, I would NOT make this with commercial pasta. That's just too much starch for our diet. I'm sure it would be great, but every lasagna I've made since, I've made my lasagna sheets to control the starch. I roll it VERY thin...as in, you can almost see through it. But in the end, it is GREAT! It's the multiple layers of "fillings" that makes a great lasagna...IMHO! The pasta is just there to keep the layers from getting mixed into a casserole. My two cents.

Final note: If you like the Bolognese recipe, you may be interested in this recipe: Molto Manicotti

Geez...I forgot how yummy these were. I should add one or all of these to my upcoming menu for the month. HMMMMM? Uh, I HATE those scales! But at least the manicotti is made with chicken....that accounts for something...right?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.