Menu ? and ISO a certain type of potato recipe
  Re: (...)
Well, MIL has been in the hospital for 9 days now. She went from telling me that she wanted to invite more people to her 90th b-day party on July 2, to telling me to cancel it, back to being excited to have it in the future... She has gone through a battery of tests and all looks well (as well as can be expected from a 90yo, that is!) so we may get her out of there in the next day or two. Then to skilled nursing for a bit. Then back to her apartment (which she misses so much, it's amazing!). So, for now, the party is "on".

I changed the menu around a bit. The baked lemon chicken has been dropped in favor of a wonderful baked chicken with roasted red pepper sauce that I developed over the past weeks (it actually tastes better after being made ahead a few days, and is fork-tender to boot!). No matter what I did to the lemon chicken, I just didn't like the taste after it had been refrigerated for a day. And who am I kidding? On the day of the party I'll be decorating, arranging flowers, etc so having the ability to make everything two days (or more) earlier would be perfect.

The two cheese braciole is still on the menu. Slow-cooker and easily done ahead.

I was going to make pasta as a side but I'm not sure about making it in advance and reheating, so I have decided that an appropriate potato dish may be a better choice.

So what I'm looking for is a for a creamy potato casserole, aka scalloped potatoes, but with a Parm-type cheese in the sauce and lots of garlic (roasted?) and maybe some fresh rosemary as well. Does anyone know of something like this that is t&t? I could play around and figure out a recipe, but it's a little too hot to keep heating the oven and I don't know how much time I'll have to do it, anyway.

Here's the menu. As it is now. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions. We'll just have some very basic cheese & crackers, veggies & dip, or whatever in her apartment before going to the dining room for dinner.

Baked Chicken Breasts with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Two Cheese Braciole
Pasta Aglio e Olio or Potato Casserole
Tossed Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
Tomato & Mozzarella Salad
Ciabatta
Coconut Cake with Raspberry Filling
Chocolate Almond Torte (yes, that one!)

Thanks (in advance)!!!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Menu ? and ISO a certain type of potato recipe by foodfiend (Well, MIL has been i...)
Sounds great. Would love to see the chicken recipe. The red peppers we have here are big, delicious, and (when you know the right place to buy them) inexpensive. They roast WONDERFULLY, so I'll often roast a big batch of them and freeze them.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Menu ? and ISO a certain type of potato recipe by labradors (Sounds great. Would...)
Well, CRAP! I got timed out!

Anyway, long and short...the tv was tuned to a channel that broadcasts the 700 Club and caught on to the fact they were doing a cooking segment, so I stopped to check it out. I'm glad I did. The guy was doing his "Sunday Dinner" specialty. He did the whole slow and low....leave it in the oven for an hour eye of round roast for perfect roast beef. But THEN he did his ULTIMATE Scalloped Potatoes. The key to the dish was that he used a vichyssoise type cream sauce (about a cup of leeks, white part only, sweat in butter and blend with 3 cups cream...I'm sure there was some salt and pepper in there somewhere. He also mentioned adding roasted garlic. I'm thinking some thyme would be good also, but what do I know about vichyssoise?). Here's how it goes:

In a 9X13 casserole layer the following; potatoes, 1/4 cup Romano, potatoes, cream sauce, 1/4 cup gruyere, potatoes, cream sauce, 1/4 Parmesan, potatoes, cream sauce (press down here), gruyere. Bake (I'm figuring 350 or the temp for a typical SP recipe.)

It sounded so decadent, I have got to try it! If you do it, let me know if it's worth trying. The video is still available on www.cnb.com. Just click on the 700 Club videos and choose the video for May 31,2010. The cooking segment is about 30 minutes in.

Good Luck!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Menu ? and ISO a certain type of potato recipe by Gourmet_Mom (Well, CRAP! I got t...)
Wow! That sounds great, too, Daphne. Shall have to try that when I can afford the Gruyère.
  Re: Re: Menu ? and ISO a certain type of potato recipe by labradors (Wow! That sounds gr...)
I can't help but wonder how I can justify trying this and not a dessert. And like I'd be satisfied with 1/4 cup of cheese for each cheese layer addition...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Menu ? and ISO a certain type of potato recipe by Gourmet_Mom (I can't help but won...)
No garlic in this one, but it's my family's favorite and reheats beautifully. I've also assembled it a day ahead with no problem. You don't really taste the blue cheese. It just adds a bit of sharpness and tang.

Scalloped Potatoes with Three Cheeses

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 (really big servings!)

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3/4 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
3/4 cup Danish blue cheese, crumbled
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
3 Tbs flour
4 Tbs butter
3 cups whole milk
4 lbs potatoes, peeled, sliced 1/4 inch thick

1. Preheat oven to 400. Lightly butter a 13x9x2 inch baking dish.

2. Mix cheeses together in a small bowl. Set aside.

3. In a large saucepan, combine butter and flour. Stir until bubbly.
Gradually whisk in milk, a little at a time, blending until smooth after
each addition. Add salt, pepper and onion. Stir until mixture begins to
bubble.

4. Add the cheese mixture, a little at a time, stirring until all cheese is
melted before adding more.

5. Arrange potatoes in baking dish, overlapping slightly. Carefully pour
sauce over potatoes and cover tightly with foil.

6. Bake for 45 minutes covered. Uncover dish and bake 45 minutes longer
until potatoes are tender and cheese is deep golden brown. Remove from oven;
let stand 15 minutes before serving.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
  Re: Re: Menu ? and ISO a certain type of potato recipe by karyn (No garlic in this on...)
Love the combination of leeks and potatoes - and the older folks would probably do better with them than onions. The combination sounds delicious, Daphne.

Both ideas sound really good.

This recipe jumped into my mind immediately - it's from a LCBO magazine a while back. If you played just a tad with it, I think it would be perfect - the flavors are wonderful. Just lose the fish and maybe thinly slice instead of grating the potatoes and maybe add roasted garlic.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Seafood Pie w/Leeks, Gruyère and Potatoes

1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes or baking potatoes (750 g)
4 tablespoons butter (60 ml) -- divided
4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley (60 ml) -- divided
1/2 teaspoon salt (5 ml)
4 ounces Gruyère cheese or Emmenthal (125 g) about 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) -- coarsely grated
1 medium leek (white and light-green parts) -- cleaned and thinly sliced
2 medium carrots -- thinly sliced
2 stalks celery -- thinly sliced
1/3 cup all-purpose flour (75 ml)
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard (2 ml)
1/2 teaspoon salt (2 ml)
2 1/2 cups cold whole milk (25 ml)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (1 ml)
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest (5 ml)
12 ounces skinless, boneless white fish such as tilapia or halibut (375 g)
12 ounces medium frozen raw shrimp (375 g) -- defrosted
1 cup fresh or frozen peas (250 ml)

Boil potatoes in water to cover, over medium-high heat for 20 to 30 minutes or until tender when pierced. Drain and run cold tap water over potatoes in saucepan to cool rapidly. When able to handle, peel and coarsely grate. Drizzle with 2 Tbs (25 ml) melted butter, sprinkle with 2 Tbs (25 ml) chopped parsley and salt. Toss with cheese until mixed; set aside. (Cover and refrigerate up to a day if not using right away.)

To make sauce, heat remaining 2 Tbs (25 ml) butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. When bubbly, stir in leek, carrots and celery. Sauté 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Mix in flour, mustard and salt; cook 1 minute. Stirring constantly, slowly add milk. Then bring to a slow boil, stirring often. Stirring constantly, allow to bubble for 1 minute or until thickened and smooth. Remove from heat; stir in pepper and lemon zest. Immediately place a piece of plastic wrap directly on surface of sauce if not using right away. (Sauce can be refrigerated for up to a day.)

Place rack above oven centre; preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).

Coat a 9- x 13-inch (3 L) baking dish with nonstick spray or butter well. Cut fish into 3/4-inch (2-cm) cubes. Remove shells from shrimp, including tails; discard shells. Using paper towels, dry fish and shrimp, especially if previously frozen. Stir fish, shrimp and peas into sauce. Turn into dish; smooth top.

Evenly crumble potato mixture over seafood and vegetables. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden and bubbly. If potatoes need additional golden colour, broil for 3 to 5 minutes.

Serve seafood pie with corn-on-the-cob, a salad of simply dressed tomato slices and a great loaf of bread. And, brownies for dessert are quite welcome to complete the feast!

Source:
"Food & Drink Summer 2008"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well, I guess what I'm suggesting is use the sauce and lose the rest... it's so tasty.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Menu ? and ISO a certain type of potato recipe by cjs (Love the combination...)
MMMMMMM, that sounds tasty. I may just have to try that with the seafood!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Menu ? and ISO a certain type of potato recipe by Gourmet_Mom (MMMMMMM, that sounds...)
Labs here is a red pepper cream sauce I have used -

7 oz. jar roasted red peppers, drained and patted dry - our
Roast your own.

3 Tbsp sour cream
2 Tbsp Cayenne pepper sauce (franks)

Process in blender until pureed.

This keeps a long time in the frig. maybe a couple months.

Enjoy

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Menu ? and ISO a certain type of potato recipe by mjkcooking (Labs here is a red ...)
Thanks, Marye. Since I have some dried cayenne peppers, it would be interesting to reconstitute those and add them instead of the Frank's sauce.

Vicci, please don't forget to post the recipe you are using for the chicken with the red pepper sauce.