OT---Alyssa's 5th birthday
  Re: (...)
Some of you may remember Alyssa, #3 granddaughter. For those of you who don't, a quick update. Alyssa was born at 28 weeks and had stopped growing at 24 weeks. As a result, she was only 1 lb. 5 oz. at birth. She had to be delivered by C-section because Heather developed HELP syndrome and that is life-threatening to the mother.

Alyssa spent 6 months in the NICU where Heather works, then spent 2 years on oxygen. She finally had open-heart surgery and came off oxygen that summer. A few of you were with me (online) that whole day while we waited for Alyssa to come out of surgery. I thought you might like to see how far she has come since that time. I'm also going to try to post a link to her birth.

[Image: Alyssais5.jpg]

Here is the link to some earlier pics.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/shar....jpg%3Fp%3D1882
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: OT---Alyssa's 5th birthday by Mare749 (Some of you may reme...)
How wonderful! Miracles happen - she's a beautiful little girl - and such a will to live!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: OT---Alyssa's 5th birthday by Harborwitch (How wonderful! Mira...)
Happy Birthday to Alyssa! What a wonderful story. She's adorable, and I'm so glad she's doing well!
  Re: Re: OT---Alyssa's 5th birthday by Harborwitch (How wonderful! Mira...)
What a miracle! She is very adorable and that backpack looks as if it could pull her over! Is she fine and healthy now, Maryann? Our neighbors in Missouri had a little girl born very early and also spent the first 6 months in NICU. She just turned 1 before I moved. She is still on oxygen, but hopefully she will do as well as Alyssa has.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: OT---Alyssa's 5th birthday by chef_Tab (What a miracle! She ...)
Happy Birthday to her! My sister had HELLP syndrome too, and my nephew was delivered early. It's scary stuff.
~Heidi, SAHM, self-taught chef and born foodie
my blog - http://thelifeofadoctorswife.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: OT---Alyssa's 5th birthday by Vanquisher (Happy Birthday to he...)
Oh Maryann, I remember that time and praying for her. I am glad she is doing so well. Yea!!!

I also developed HELLP syndrom and delivered the triplets early. 30W5d, of course they probably would have come early anyway.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: OT---Alyssa's 5th birthday by esgunn (Oh Maryann, I remem...)
Oh my, you mean it's been almost 3 years since we were praying like mad for Alyssa???? What a cutie!! Bless her little heart (and that is meant lovingly, not like BillyJ used to mean it! altho that was said with love also, wasn't it? )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT---Alyssa's 5th birthday by cjs (Oh my, you mean it's...)
I think so, Jean.

Oh Maryann, she is so precious, in every way possible! Looking at the pictures, I must say, I LOVE the one with the bunny ears!

Happy Birthday, Alyssa!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OT---Alyssa's 5th birthday by Gourmet_Mom (I think so, Jean.[br...)
God is good!
  Re: Re: OT---Alyssa's 5th birthday by HomeCulinarian (God is good!...)
That is such good news. Thanks for the update.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?